Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • lacing 24 and 28 hole rims
  • simonm
    Free Member

I’m soon to be building my second set of wheels, first set was a Rim swap, so the lacing was a straight copy.
    My second set are 24 hole and 28 hole… and I’m completely baffled when it comes to lacing.
    I’ve searched high and low for a good step by step to lacing 24/28 and can’t find anything a dumbass like me can follow. There are loads of 32 hole walk through, anyone have a pointer to 24 or 28.

Cheers.

gary

Its still 4 sets of spokes, just follow the 32 spoke guide. Instead of adding groups of 8 spokes with 3 hole intervals, it will be groups of 7 (28) or 6 (24)

simonm
    Free Member

24 is 2x, 28 is 3x, still follows the same rules ?

gary

Essentially yes. You still have 4 groups of spokes, and the opposing groups on each side still alternate.

When you start inserting the opposing spokes, they will go to different holes if you are lacing 2x, but once the first spoke is in place the rest are equally spaced just as in a 3x wheel.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Do the 28 2x

simonm
    Free Member

Cheers, why 2x for the 28? Will the spokes overlap heads on 3x?

bencooper
    Free Member

The way I lace wheels, it doesn’t matter:

First spoke is an “in” – spoke head is on the outside. It then goes to the first hole anticlockwise from the valve hole.
    Second spoke is also an “in” – goes from the first hole anticlockwise on the hub, on the other side. It goes to the next hole anticlockwise on the rim.

Going anticlockwise, miss a hole on the hub, add a spoke, miss two holes on the rim, attach spoke. Do similar with the other side. Go all the way around the wheel. Now all your “in” spokes are in place.

Twist the rim clockwise with respect to the hub – the spoke nearest the valve hole should now be angled away from the hole.

Start on the “out” spokes – doesn’t matter which ones, I alternate sides as I go around. Thread through, loop under the last spoke, connect to rim at the only available hole.

Done.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘lacing 24 and 28 hole rims’ is closed to new replies.