Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Labradors – tell me about them.
  • loddrik
    Free Member

What’s good and bad about them?

hammyuk
    Free Member

4 legs
    get fat
    eat
    shit
    bark
    need exercise

cinnamon_girl

People dogs. Check hip score though.

khani
    Free Member

Good = almost everything
    Bad = hairy, mega mega hairy..

timmys

Show bred labrador = nowadays looks more like a rottweiler
    Working bred labradors = often looks more like a whippet

You want to aim for the middle ground if you actually want a labrador

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Stink.
    Eat their own shit.

Very friendly and good with old and young people. Boisterous though so although unlikely to hurt a child, reasonably likely to bump them over then sit on them, tail wagging and looking very please with themselves.

Houns

Bloody lovely, miss mine so much.

Only get fat if give in to *that* look they give you (and the big drooly mouth) and lack of exercise.

They love water and mud so prepare for the mess

jimster01

Good point – Born half-trained, easily trained, loyal.

Bad points – Can become obsessed with treats, easily put weight on, as said earlier – hairy, bloody hairy, mine shed’s a coat when the weather changes.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Bloody popular for a reason. Loads of different characters, brilliant but boisterous. eat like nutters. some eat everything. Not all as soft and dopey as they are made out to be.

Look at lab crosses as well.

Due to complete lack of pics I better start it off.

My alfie, Lab X rotti. bloody beautiful.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/8ecDnA]DSC_21911601[/url] by Evil Goat, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/79kioB]Dozy Alfred[/url] by Evil Goat, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/7RdPG9]Noble 2[/url] by Evil Goat, on Flickr

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Lovely dogs -almost as good as retrievers!!!

sharkbait
    Free Member

The ones I’ve known have always ended up fat and unable to walk properly at a ‘too early’ age.
    Oh and they seem to eat constantly and their shits are massive – the latter two may be linked.

Spaniel FTW 🙂

Edit: I like Alfie ….. good merger there.

chestrockwell

All the above really. Ours is a lovely natured dog and is great with my 2 year old. Very loyal and protective but soft as anything. Always ready for attention but doesn’t demand it 24/7.

Bad bits, greedy and is a pest when food’s about. I blame our lass for spoiling her but I get bored of tripping over the dog in the kitchen. They need a decent amount of exercise and will let you know if they have not had enough. Ours just repeatedly puts her tennis ball on your lap! Whatever the weather you need to be out in it for an hour or two which sends you mad after a winter like we’ve had.

bikeytom
    Free Member

I agree with Sharkbait, Spaniels (in our case working cocker variety) are the way forward, similar temperament (in my experience) and shed a lot less (again in my experience). Labs are undoubtedly easier to train but the majority of the ones I see are overweight.

our spaniel playing in the snow

grim168
    Free Member

[/url]555034_4184290851783_1345117414_n by Graham Pickup, on Flickr[/img]

Scooby is ace and at 6 is not in the least bit fat(28kg) but they love their food so you need to be strict. Labs are a big comitment excerise wise but great fun. If they get bored they can be destructive. They are either nuts (like ours) or chilled

grim168
    Free Member

He likes snow too

[/url]408444_10200422618274247_70277850_n by Graham Pickup, on Flickr[/img]

ninkynonk
    Free Member

brought up with Labradors, absolutely lovely dogs.

the only problem we’ve had is bad hips have meant lack of ability to walk them (properly) and lack of exercise combined with wanting to eat (and eat and eat and eat) make it a vicious circle.

parents current one is fine with no hip/weight issues at all.

benp1

They’re the most popular dog for a reason!

Upsides – pretty much everything! Training, good with kids, loyal, loving, happy, not agressive, doesn’t bark, loves slouching on the sofa as much as he loves being outside, will sit in the car for 5 hours on the way to a trip

Downsides – lots of hair, flaps his ears at the top of the stairs which used the wake the kids up (they now sleep through this), need multiple pairs of slippers so you can make up a full set, insatiable appetite, like fox poo when he can find it, likes getting in the water so often needs to be dried off (though often just his legs)

Mine is a working lab, is about 34kg but is well very proportioned and not overweight in the slightest. I’m careful about how he’s fed and he gets a bike ride with me or a run with my wife

Pic from a few years ago

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Fat labs = poor owners. Give the exercise and feed them less. It’s not hard and it’s your responsibility.

surfer
    Free Member

I have had loads of dogs over the years, may cross breeds and a number of terriers. Latest dog (2.5yrs old now) being a Cocker Spaniel. Would never have another breed, except maybe a Springer.

Edit: never met a Lab I didnt like though 🙂

pictonroad

lovely dogs, grew up with them, absolutely fantastic companions.

They will eat anything. Friends of ours had a labrador that ate itself to death. 😯

ton

the most lovable of dogs

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wUq4tM]cidImage_FOTFF27.JPG[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/vaUQaE]DSCN0016[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qswMwS]cidImage_FOTFAE1.JPG[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/eePsKk]28.04.13 bones 002[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ebVNXf]16.04.13 payday 002[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

MoreCashThanDash

Dog threads are like fat bike threads.

I open them out of curiosity as I know there is no place or money for them in my life, and end up figuring out how I could manage to fit one in.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Lovely family dogs. We got a show bred one (met breeder at Crufts), really beautiful with a great character. Ours was never overweight, we fed her twice a day exactly as advised, dry food accurately measured. Labs will eat and eat and always claim to be hungry – this needs to be ignored.

Against, it’s a large dog so for somewhat’s an issue. Can have hip problems. Will break your heart when they pass away.

DaRC_L

The downsides of a people dog is if people can’t be constantly around them – as a kid I watched our neighbour’s Lab go slowly mad being left alone all day
    (mind you our cat probably didn’t help by wandering around his house whilst he was tethered up outside, that and sitting just beyond the end of the tether)

Rockape63
    Free Member

Always loved labs and then my inlaws always had springers, which are also great, so when I was finally able to have a dog I got a labradinger!

corroded
    Free Member

All the main plus and minus points have been covered but I would like to add that they’re not very fluffy. This may or may not be important. They have very oily fur (for the water). We’ve always had retrievers and spaniels, which are fluffier. As are any of the poodle crosses. In short:
    labradors – not fluffy
    retrievers and spaniels – fluffy

moonsaballoon

Charlie is a lab springer x . All the energy of a springer and the appetite of a lab . Lovely nature and has been great with our little boy . Will run all day and happily run with me on the bike although i only really take her on short bursts of a couple of hours but equally will spend all day on the sofa if you let her . Only annoying thing is her obsession with sticks , have tried to break it but to no avail , can be a bit annoying when your out on the bike with her and she is carrying a 6 foot branch in her gob

benp1

Our lab moved on from sticks/branches/trees to rocks

He likes picking up rocks, he goes in the stream to get a new one if the one from the previous day has gone missing. He’s been known to run around with a brick and an even a broken bottle (that got taken off him pretty quickly!)

My wife was talking about getting a 2nd dog last night, I was saying no all the way through but I’ve been thinking about it a lot since!

porter_jamie

greedy

fairly naughty

smelly
    and the hair. soooo much hair

khani
    Free Member

They don’t all get fat and die early, We lost Lucy last Christmas, 23yrs old, the vet was as upset as us,
    She was the wife’s ironman training partner for years, would run and swim all day long, eat anything and everything and never showed any aggression towards anything, top dog
    RIP Lucy irondog..

But by **** she was hairy…

natwestling39
    Free Member

They’re intelligent, very loyal, love to smile and play. They do everything with us. They love to camp, swim, run on the bike with me (short distances) hiking, heck I wouldn’t be surprised if Sassy wen’t kayaking with us lol. They do get into shenanigans from time to time though, our lab always gets into accidents, she’s pretty clumsy but goofy like that. Depends how you raise them really!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

They all seem to have a great sense of humour.
    Particularly fond of farty jokes.

benp1

I forgot to mention, my lab pulls me up hills when we’re hiking. He also pulls me along flat sections when we’re cycling

We have a deal. He pulls me up stuff, I carry his kit

I have an amazing video of him pulling me along on a bike, which is towing my 2 kids in a double trailer. It’s the very definition of awsumz

jambalaya
    Free Member

They all seem to have a great sense of humour.
    Particularly fond of farty jokes.

😀

Telling them that is. Also useful to be able to blame the dog !

nuke

We’ve got a working lab and she’s perfect: not to large/chunky (circa 25kg), sheds hair but not excessive, not especially greedy but likes the odd treat, and she is a proper softy, friendly & loyal.

She does love mud though so spends most of her time looking like this…

😀

CountZero

The ones I’ve known have always ended up fat and unable to walk properly at a ‘too early’ age.
    Oh and they seem to eat constantly and their shits are massive – the latter two may be are most definitely linked.

Very intelligent dogs, will do anything for food, which is why they’re so easily trained; it’s why they’re the ideal dogs for hearing and sight-impaired people. Very, very loyal as well, the best dogs are a Lab/Retriever cross, as this mix gets the best of both breeds.
    This I’ve learned through contact with Guide Dogs trainers, who we deal with at work.
    One story about a guide dog was both heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time; the owner, on their way home on the Tube, felt there was something not right about the dog, and managed to get in touch with their GD contact, who told him/her to try to get home as safely as possible, meanwhile they’d contact a vet. The owner got home, and let the dog off its harness, it went to its bed, and died!
    Not difficult to imagine the reaction of the owner, but it shows just how loyal an animal can be.

mrsfry
    Free Member

They have the fat gene according to science, but i just think of them as totally huggable fur balls

Imagine living with a four legged Binner (heaven).
    No food will ever go to waste

joolsburger
    Free Member

In their natural position. Mine’s 13 now and she is slowing down due to arthritis but the desire to swim, chase balls and eat like a pig is undiminished. She is a perfect dog in every way bar one, when she drops her coat (twice a year) the amount of fur around is incredible. I can brush out a tesco bag every day and that lasts two to four weeks at a time.

Also she is a drake, a small working lab, so she is tiny in comparison to other labs. We feed all three of our dogs carefully so they don’t get fat but they do steal food given the chance.

Muke
    Free Member

Labradors are ACE 😀

[url=https://flic.kr/p/g1k5Sb]263[/url] by Marcus, on Flickr

Even wet stinky ones…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Fk468u]76[/url] by Marcus, on Flickr

mindmap3
    Free Member

Brilliant dogs.

My family have always had them. They’re easy, silly and greedy pigs if you’re not careful so can get a bit fat, especially with old age. My aunts dog Pepper is right now and is still a giant puppy at heart but is fab with our little boy who loves here.

When the time is right, they’ll be high up on the dig list.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Labradors – tell me about them.’ is closed to new replies.