Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • La Vuelta stage 17
  • ferrals
    Free Member

No thread yet?

I’m not quite techy enough / got enough time to add in all the graphs (hopefully someone will add them in soon 😆 )

So instead, cut and paste from inrng:

With the rest day done the Vuelta enters the final phase towards its conclusion in Madrid this Sunday. A hilly stage awaits with an early opening climb and a tricky uphill finish.

The Route: 177.5km and 3,640m of vertical gain. After a brief parade along the coast the road turns inland at Benicasim and tackles the Alto del Desierto de las Palmas, 7km at 5.1% before open inland roads and the next two climbs average 3-4% but have their steeper sections of 5-6%. Both are far from the finish which make them unlikely ambush country.

The Finish: less than 4km but another steep finish, this time reportedly with a cement-paved track and so a hard climb.

The Contenders: there’s a good chance a breakaway stays away after using the early climb as a launchpad but that “good chance” means half the field will want to be in the move. With a finish like this Astana’s Andrei Zeits, BMC Racing’s Ben Hermans and Lotto-Jumbo’s Robert Gesink all have their chances if they can make the move but so do many others. What about Caja Rural? Normally a lively presence in this race they’ve been discreet but surely they’ll have to flood the breakaway and if so Sergio Pardilla is the pick. The GC candidates could have a go and Chris Froome is the one who needs to take time but this short climb offers seconds rather than minutes.

Hopefully going to be a good stage, guess Froome needs to get a bit more time back to give him a chance of getting into reaching distance after the TT. Can’t see any of the GC contenders being able to make an early escape after the other day, but I imagine it might be a nervy stage.

lunge

Looks to be an interesting stage today this.

The last climb looks brutal though, properly nasty.

weeksy

I think Froome really needs to pull at least a minute today or his title hope is over.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Give me a chance, it’s only half ten (… and too busy on the Strava fitness/freshness thread!)

I think Froome really needs to pull at least a minute today or his title hope is over.

It’s going to be seconds rather than minutes on that climb if Froome can drop Quintana, just not long enough. I wonder how significant that drag up to the intermediate sprint will be? (Vuelta organisers are having a real laugh with the placings of the intermediate sprints!)

Does look an interesting profile though with a biggish looking cat 2 from about 10k in. A long stage though so unlikely to see any early GC action.

ferrals
    Free Member

Give me a chance, it’s only half ten

Totally unacceptable when we have an interesting stage to get excited about!

In an ideal world, I’m imagining Froome and Quintana being close enough after the TT that we have a really close and crucial race on the Saturday. So given that tomorrow is flattish, his only oppurtunity is today.

mrblobby
    Free Member

TBH I think a repeat of this Vuelta incident is Froome’s only chance now…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7DyPCK611Y[/video]

Quintana in red there too!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Looks like the break’s gone with 4 mins on the peloton. A pair of riders each for Sky, Movistar and OBE. One rider from Tinkoff.

3 ERVITI Imanol. (MOV), 5 HERRADA LOPEZ José. (MOV), 14 GOGL Michael. (TNK), 23 GOLAS Michal. (SKY), 26 KONIG Leopold. (SKY), 33 DILLIER Silvan. (BMC), 46 GESINK Robert. (TLJ), 48 TANKINK Bram. (TLJ), 53 GERRANS Simon. (OBE), 57 NIELSEN Magnus Cort. (OBE), 62 CATALDO Dario. (AST), 75 LADAGNOUS Matthieu. (FDJ), 91 ZUBELDIA Haimar. (TFS), 105 DOMONT Axel. (ALM), 113 KOCHETKOV Pavel. (KAT), 121 DE CLERCQ Bart. (LTS), 158 SBARAGLI Kristan. (DDD), 161 FRANK Mathias. (IAM), 162 CHEVRIER Clément. (IAM), 169 WYSS Marcel. (IAM), 175 DURASEK Kristijan. (LAM), 187 ROSSETTO Stéphane. (COF), 196 PFINGSTEN Christoph. (BOA), 199 THWAITES Scott. (BOA), 202 BILBAO Pello. (CJR), 209 ROSON Jaime. (CJR), 219 QUEMENEUR Perrig. (DEN)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Van Garderen abandons. Came for stage wins (did he actually get in a single break?) Collected a lot of bottles. Wonder why he abandoned?

Solo
    Free Member

weeksy – Member

I’m pretty much disappointed with CF. He doesn’t seem to ride with the panache and hunger to take the win.
    Seems to me he’s pinned his hopes on TT’ing his way to winning the GC.
    It also appears NQ suspected as much and has tried to build a cushion as he did during stage 15.
    Before stage 15, CF appears to have just “marked” NQ and that’s always going to make for a dull spectacle and be risky strategy for GC, imo.

ferrals
    Free Member

Final climb looked brutal! Realistically the race is won though now.

slowoldman

If Nairo does win (as looks likely) he’ll have to buy Bert the Accountant a beer or two.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘La Vuelta stage 17’ is closed to new replies.