• This topic has 54 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hels.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Kurt Cobain – What were you doing 19 years ago today?
  • Harry_the_Spider

On a road trip with the lads to some god awful pub in Blackburn. Heard the news on the radio on the way home. The DJ played this.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd3rpF9v-1o[/video]

RIP

fervouredimage
    Free Member

In geography I think. Maybe history. Either way I wasn’t paying attention but as I was 11 at the time I was only struck by the significance of it due to seeing the 6th formers in tears.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I remember the first reports popping up on Ceefax were just “Body found at home of pop singer” or something.

There always seems to be a pretence in the mainstream media that they had any clue who he was. Now they bang on (correctly) about how massively influential Nirvana where, but most hadn’t noticed it at the time.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Raindog
    Free Member

I went to see Primal Scream at Brixton Academy. Bobbie Gillespie gave us the news from the stage.

MrOvershoot

Just been made redundant and was living through the Cromwell St investigation @ the other end of the street!

marcus7
    Free Member

At uni thinking oh, anyways lads let’s finish these fishfinger butties and head off to Fahrenheit at bar one its only 90p for mainline drinks…. (As you can tell I didn’t much care…) 🙂

trout
    Free Member

a few weeks before we were fitting carpets and vynil in their European tour bus near Leeds airport
    what a waste of time

twistedpencil

Was pretty gutted at the time, just about to do my A-levels. Will stick Bleach on later when the kids are asleep.

Senna dying a few weeks later really knocked me for six, lost two heroes in the space of a month 🙁 at least I got to see Senna dominate at Donnington 20years ago this summer.

edlong
    Free Member

Was at uni, housemate scrawled “RIP” on the dirt on the window. Drove past a year later and you could still see it. It was that sort of house.

I remember we were holding tickets for the tour that had been cancelled when he OD’d in Rome. It was supposed to get rescheduled. I wonder what happened to those tickets?

They broadcast Unplugged – Live in New York on BBC2 that evening. We had a crappy signal but taped it anyway. Watched it many times and the picture quality never mattered. To this day, when I hear any of that show, in my mind it looks grainy. Seems to suit it. Might listen to it now, actually.

DezB
    Free Member

Weirdly, I remember where I was when I heard about the overdose he had a few months before – driving to my mates, heard it on the car radio. That was more of a shock than when he actually killed himself.

nonk
    Free Member

i was sat on the bog at the time.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I was working flat out and I expect travelling back from Hungary…

20 years eh.

Seems longer for some reason.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I was hoping that an ‘OMG Kurt’ would get me into the pants of the girl I was chatting up.

Her reaction helped clarify the realisation that his death was of little consequence to those outside of his immediate family.

Edit: Doug Stanhope says it well – NSFW for swearing –[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs-3o01x5Q0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Riksbar

I went to see Primal Scream at Brixton Academy. Bobbie Gillespie gave us the news from the stage.

Raindog, did you spill my pint? 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

I didn’t really know who he was to be honest, it was his death that brough Nirvana’s music to my attention.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Was in Scarborough with my Parents having an easter break IIRC. Saw it in a Newspaper headline.

johndoh
    Free Member

Swearing because I had tickets to see them.

iain1775
    Free Member

Seem to have in my head I was back from uni and at Delamere Forest for a walk with the parents at some point that day
    I know I was at top of world trade centre in New York when Diana died, came down jumped a taxi and the American/Asian taxi driver was trying to tell us in a very excited voice as he realised we where English, we couldn’t grasp what he was telling us was 10 words a second, he didn’t charge us for the ride though

codybrennan
    Free Member

Sitting in “The Mint” pub in Coatbridge, and the regular DJ, Frank, announced it over the tannoy, clearly looking shocked.

As my brother, also my closest friend, had died the September before, it felt like lots of things coming to an end.

kimbers

at home with my parents, my mum told me!

Layne Stayley died 10 years later to the day
    http://www.revolvermag.com/news/layne-staley-remembered-outtakes-from-revolver%E2%80%99s-mike-inez-interview.html

bearnecessities

To be honest, I was more Pearl Jam/Smashing Pumpkins at that time. Sad though nevertheless, whenever it was.

pancho1969
    Free Member

BLOKE WAS A ****

Kevevs
    Free Member

I was an art stoodent. So I have no idea.

kimbers

pancho get back to your home……..

hammy7272
    Free Member

I was in 1st year and a mate told me. I hadn’t listened to much but I bought unplugged shortly after and my life went through a dark angry grunge stage. Happy days.

Legend.

RIP

patriotpro
    Free Member

Another over-rated ‘star’ cos he topped himself. Made no difference to my life whatsoever.

FWIW probably doing something I shouldn’t have been behind the bike sheds. 😆

camo16
    Free Member

I was doing my A-Levels.

I remember hearing the news and feeling gutted – not that I was a massive Nirvana fan, but I loved the way they brought cool guitar music back through one fantastic three minute song.

Layne Staley’s death hit me harder, strangely. I was an Alice in Chains fan from ‘We Die Young’, the first single, and I still love those albums and Layne’s voice.

Oh Seattle, will you never learn?

boxelder

Fahrenheit at bar one

Sheffield? That’s where I was the year Isaw Nirvana a few times – Reading fest, then Leeds and Sheff Octagon.
    They were a great band, and he a minor genius.
    Loved that fact he followed The Pastels/Eugene:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn-njpBoVEE[/video]

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Marcus7 – at Sheffield uni then?

I was doing a-levels, in the upper sixth. seemed like the end of a lot of bands, ritchey from manics had disappeared presumed drowned, the wonder stuff had announced they were finishing that year and then Kurt.

can’t remember exactly what I was doing, probably physics revision and then a ride on my dyna-tech, before going to the Sugar Loaves in my mates mgb.

pancho1969
    Free Member

kimbers love it dude that’s me fishing 🙂

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Kurt,….can’t remember, RIP

Diana,…Greenwich, Connecticut RIP

Michael Jackson, on the sofa RIP

My father Roy Evans,….at the gym RIP

Haze

Listening to techno 🙂

satchm00
    Free Member

I was ten years old so probably picking my nose. I don’t remember really, took another 8 years before I actually got a few albums to appreciate the music properly.

teejay
    Free Member

Wondering if I’d get my money back from the tickets I had to see them.

yossarian
    Free Member

I remember hearing the news and not being at all surprised. I saw them a few times and he’d lost a lot of the early energy and drive that I liked. Also I think by the time of his death nirvana had pretty much become mainstream and less relevant to the indie/alt scene. LOLing at the trolling on this thread. I’ll bet a good quantity of money that those with the biggest put downs were listening to chart bollocks and were square as fluck. 😉

jamj1974

Studying for my degree at the time. Pretty gutted – got into them as Nevermind was released and got into Bleach before In Utero arrived. Great band and I see him as a great songwriter too. I think he could have made some interesting records later… Still play all their music regularly.

pancho1969 – Member
    BLOKE WAS A ****

Strange because he thought you were amazing. Couldn’t speak highly enough in fact.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

I heard it on the morning radio with a hangover. I felt it was a shame, bit of a tear at the waste.

I remember seeing him a few months earlier at the Newcastle Mayfair. I famously fell asleep at that concert next to a speaker. I was in the pile of bodies dancing most of the gig. The warm up act was 2 Japanese girls. I have never slept enough!

I had a tear too when the Mayfair got pulled down. Good place.

Nice to remember all that. Seems like yesterday.

boxelder

Agreed. You were lucky to have known him pancho, please tell us more.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ll bet a good quantity of money that those with the biggest put downs were listening to chart bollocks

there are only two put downs.

In ’94 I was probably listening to an eclectic chart bollocks mix of Blur, Bon Jovi, Dina Carol and Pato Banton.

hora
    Free Member

No idea but I remember the moment that I heard about Mr Mercury vividly.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Kurt Cobain – What were you doing 19 years ago today?’ is closed to new replies.