Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • KS Southpaw and Carbon Bars
  • skybluestu
    Free Member

I have read a couple of reviews stating that you have to really torque this lever to get it solid. I’ve just bought some carbon bars and want to get a KS southpaw but am now a bit put off.

Anyone had this experience with them or can suggest and alternative that won’t break the bank…or bars!

vincienup
    Free Member

I was looking at the southpaw a while ago and ended up discounting it as sufficient people I respected advised it was unlikely to stay put on a carbon bar.  I ended up staying with the default standard KS control but if doing it again I’d have gone with a combo I could mount on my brake lever MMX style.  Should be possible with SRAM, Shimano, Hope, Formula or Magura brakes which covers most bases.

clubby

Have mine on a set of Santa Cruz carbon bars and it’s never moved in 2 years

kimbers

been fine on my One one knuckleballs for the last couple of years, I may have used carbon paste when fitting, but was ages ago and its never moved since

scottfitz
    Free Member

I had this same issue, carbon paste is what you need.

singlespeedstu

Have mine on a set of Santa Cruz carbon bars and it’s never moved in 2 years

Same setup here and it was constantly moving even with carbon paste.

Only way I could stop it moving was a wrap of old innertube round the bar first.

The same lever now lives on another bike with an alloy bar and it’s never moved once.

Bonty do a lever for around £17 that works brilliantly.

<span style=”font-size: 12.8px;”>https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/components-c9/seatposts-seat-clamps-c86/drop-line-dropper-seatpost-under-bar-lever-p17260/s51204?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=bontrager-drop-line-dropper-seatpost-lever-w532879&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&cid=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImZb53eOR2QIV7Z3tCh1fFA2EEAQYASABEgLKEvD_BwE</span&gt;

bigwill
    Free Member

I had this problem, the only way I stopped it was to wrap a strip of scotch 2228 tape round the bar then torque the clamp down onto it.

mactheknife

Carbon paste, That’s what its made for.

enigmas
    Free Member

Aye you’ve got to tighten it a fair bit, never put a torque wrench to it but I’d guess about 6Nm to stop it slipping on my alloy fatbars.

Carbon Paste should help a lot though.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

It’s an odd design of clamp but it’s been fine on my carbon knuckleballs with a addition of paste.

skybluestu
    Free Member

Cheers all. Think I’ll try the carbon paste when I get one.

otsdr
    Free Member

You should get a different remote (Wolftooth, BikeYoke, or any other, really). The Southpaw clamp is pretty much the worst design I’ve seen; bonus, you don’t have a direct mount option.

duir
    Free Member

You will get a split on this, a few think it never moves but everyone else knows it’s a rubbish design for carbon bars. Everyone else tries everything from carbon paste to tape to roughing up the metal but it stil moves unless you crank way beyond what is safe for a carbon bar.

I ended up swapping mine to the raceface one that really never moves. Then I got a bikeyoke dropper with an equally solid lever that does not move.

poah
    Free Member

No issues on Lewis’s carbon bars with the southpaw. Bit of carbon paste job done

slowbloke
    Free Member

I have one on a set of Carbon bars (Santacruz) and that’s fine. The other one was originally on a set of Superstar alloy bars and moved continuously no matter what I did but once I swapped the superstar bars for a set of Nukeproof Sam Hill bars it stayed in the same place no problem. It’s a bit of a crap design that only works on some bars……

bruneep

resorted to a wrap of black electrical tape around bar for clamp to grip.

duir
    Free Member

The fact that even the people that say it is fine have to use some sort of bodge to make it work should tell you all you need to know. Save yourself time and possibly money, buy another make.

bruneep

I wouldn’t buy again if it still has the same clamp

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘KS Southpaw and Carbon Bars’ is closed to new replies.