Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • KS seatposts and mud
  • kimbers

Im not having much fun with my KS dropzone(like an i900), new in November- came on the bike

but its sticking/slowing after wet and/or muddy rides- which is every ride its ever had to be fair

any tips on keeping them running sweet

or should I just dig the gravity dropper out of the shed, send it back to the importers for servicing and sell it on?

ks recomend slick honey, anyone know of any other lightweight greases I can use

Northwind

This isn’t very useful but honestly, no tips- I’ve got 2, they just go. Fit a good cable if you haven’t already though, the standard one is pretty poor. You can do a really simple interim service just by lifting the collar, cleaning and regreasing…

Having said all that- mine was sticky from new and went back on warranty to be corrected, since then it’s been brilliant.

kimbers

ok warranty it is!

thepurist

My Lev starts to slow a bit after a few wet & muddy rides but as above it’s a simple job to whip it apart, clean and relube (Stendec fork grease) and it’s like new again.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Mine is covered with a length of inner tube, zip tied at the top. Keeps it all toasty, dry and mud free.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Make sure it isn’t the lever that’s sticking, you can alter the speed of the return by pulling the lever only partly down, if it has gotten gritty (very common) then this can happen.

I’ve had my i950 over 3 years, have serviced it (full strip, clean, grease) properly twice, replaced the cable a couple of times and have now fitted a bodged mudguard out of an old inner tube to prevent the lever getting gunked up. I’ve also added an elastic band to help it return properly and keep the cable tension on the remote 😀

tops5
    Free Member

Bodged inner tube mudguard on mine (just stretched between the seatrails) been much better since fitted

BoardinBob

Ran a KS i7r for two years in classic Scottish mud. I’d echo Northwinds comment about changing the standard cable and making sure it’s well lubed and greasing under the collar every few months. Other than that I had no problems at all.

tpbiker
    Free Member

One of mine is great, one is useless. Luck of the draw (or which cartridge they used)according to jungle.

Those clowns at superstar blamed me for poor maintanence, only once the warrenty had run out did the true reason become clear…

Can you not try to increase the pressure in the cartridge. I managed a diy repressurising bodge on my I900. Not used it in anger yet however to confirm an improvement, but it does return quicker in the intial trials…

weeksy

i’m enjoying this thread… as i’ve just bought a i950R

skiprat
    Free Member

Had a Lev for over a year and its been fine. As above, collar off twice for a bit of a clean and grease and its ok.

On another note, to replace the cable, can i just use a normal gear cable?

weeksy

I fitted the i950… i must admit, i’m impressed with the smoothness.

thedude
    Free Member

I use juice lubes fork juice on my lev after each ride. I spray on with seatpost extended and let it dribble down then drop all the way and extend to lift dirt out of the seal. It runs very smooth.

zero-cool
    Free Member

I’ve got an i7 which was a hand me down from the Mrs when she upgraded to a reverb. Never been serviced in 4 years but I just clean it after every ride and lube the seals with a bit of Finish Line Wet every other ride and spray some fork juice on t after each ride. Seems to be going ok. But I might try the new cable idea to see if that improves anything.

And maybe give it a good strip down soon. Are they easy to do?

robhughes
    Free Member
    deano8
    Free Member

Just changed my cable and the improvement is very noticeable.
    Also bodged a front mech shifter for the remote after ks remote got clogged up at BPW. Works great!
    Now for the inner tube mudguard 🙂

therag
    Free Member

Mine is useless, but a spring out of a pen helps the lever return. Fitted under saddle, with inner threaded though it.

p7rich
    Free Member

Lev + regular Fork Juice here too. One year on, no problems. Has to re-pressure once, that’s it.

mcnultycop

What’s a good cable to us on a Lev?

kimbers

Well mine slowly sunk down round cwmcarn today had about 3cm travel on it by the end of the day

Back to the shop !

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘KS seatposts and mud’ is closed to new replies.