Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • KS Lev Service
  • mccraque

Any recommendations for where to send a KS Lev post for servicing? Feels like it needs a jolly good lube!

sam_underhill

Send it to jungle (also the importers). It’ll come back better than new.

wheelsonfire1

I believe Ison have taken over distribution, however, Jungle may still do service. Hope this helps.

mccraque

I spoke to Jungle and seems it will be a warranty job which is fine.

The post feels arthritic and can be helped to return by hand…but not smooth. Am wondering whether to just send it to jungle and have it done by the experts – or could it be simply a case of undoing the collar (is this easy – or will I need a strap wrench / risk damage) and smearing some slick honey on the post beyond the seal?

Anyone have expertise in this field?!

Edit – also don’t want to invalidate any warranty by ham fistedly pratting around with it.

thepurist

The hardest part of the job is undoing the cap at the base of the post – that’ll need a strap wrench. After that a simple clean and lube is no more complex than an air can service on a shock.

(to clarify that’s for my non stealth lev, the activation will obviously be different for an internally routed post but expect the internals will be very similar)

mccraque

I undid the top collar and the little metal ring under that. Without those it runs smoothly. As soon as they are back in place, it starts sticking again, even after a very thorough clean and addition of slick honey.

Off to Jungle it goes….

tillydog
    Free Member

could it be simply a case of undoing the collar (is this easy – or will I need a strap wrench / risk damage) and smearing some slick honey on the post beyond the seal?

From personal experience, that approach didn’t work for me – if it’s reached the stage where its sluggish, I think it will need cleaning out properly. It’s only one step further than taking the top sleeve off – one just needs to undo the bottom of the post so that the inner can be pulled out of the outer. It’s the only thing that you can service with these – the cartridge is sealed / throw-away and can’t be rebuilt (c.f. Reverb). There’s a sort of roller bearing thing at the top of the outer that takes ages to clean out properly. The ‘rollers’ will pop out of the cage (intentionally or otherwise) which makes it easier to clean behind them / results in a hands-and-knees hunt for missing bits on the garage floor.

It’s not at all difficult: Get it clean and make sure that you use the correct grease on assembly – I found mine extremely finicky on the grease used, and it wouldn’t work at all when assembled with ‘ordinary’ grease.

I’ve just done mine for the second time in 5 years and it’s working properly again.

[ETA] Crossed with the previous post – There are ‘how to’ videos on youtube if you fancy having a go.

wheelsonfire1

As Jungle are still servicing them I’d send it there, I’ve done loads myself but when stumped or warranty work needed their service has been exceptional!

Kahurangi

You can undo the top cap and run some lube in to the shaft/bushings regularly but sounds like yours is due a proper service if you’re not sure about investigating yourself.

I’ve had mine done at Jungle last few times they’re generally pretty good.

steviep

Jungle serviced mine and it came back better than new. Fantastic job.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.