Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • KS Lev opinions
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

Real world reviews/opinions from anyone running one would be appreciated

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I had a reverb then a lev and I’d buy the lev again but not the reverb.

I really liked the fixed position of the lev cable and no hydraulics to worry about.

Hope that helps.

matther01
    Free Member

Really like mine for gaff free installation and static cable.

Mine has a wee bit of play, but I think most droppers get it.

No need to use the tensioner, and I’d use a normal sp41 gear cable as its more flexible than the re-inforced one it comes with.

Had a reverb prior to the LEV but really struggled with the bleeding.

No UK support if anything goes wrong (or there wasn’t the last time I checked).

mmel
    Free Member

I’ve got a LEV. I spent quite a bit of time deliberating LEV vs Reverb and I’m glad I went for the LEV. It works so well and and the fixed cable entry and remote system is bomb proof. Much better IMO than the over engineered Reverb system.

If I had my time again, I’d buy another!

mmel
    Free Member

No UK support if anything goes wrong (or there wasn’t the last time I checked)

Most spares can be got from the European sites and when I had a problem I emailed KS in the states and got an informative reply within hours. If you need to make a warranty claim the send it back to the retailer.

I’m happy with that

rc200f8
    Free Member

I’ve been running a 27.2mm lev for a few months now, its miles better than the hilo it replaced. It has very little side to side play, smooth action, a nice seat clamp arrangement, a light lever operation – although I find the lever too close to my hand if used to replace the lockon clamp, but that’s personal choice. The static cable is fantastic as I had a real problem keeping the cable loop out of the way of the suspension with the hilo.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Had the LEV for maybe 9 months now with no major issues. There’s a bit of play but nothing too bad. I fitted the tensioner and glad I did, the supplied cable stretched a fair bit so it came in handy. If I had one bug bare about it, it would be that you have to completely unload your weight from the saddle before pressing the lever and sitting ‘gently’ on it to drop the post. If I put my full weight on it once the lever is pressed it tends to stick. Anyone else observed this? Other than that, it’s my first dropper post and I can’t believe how much of a difference it’s made to my riding.

jairaj

I’v had mine a few months now and its worked perfectly even through all the mud we had earlier on. Haven’t had to do any servicing to it. I just clean my bike as normal and the post just keeps working as normal.

Static cable position is great as no extra loop of cable when the post is dropped. The way the remote attaches to the bars by replacing a lock on collar is a clever touch too.

Nice bit of kit, highly recommended

marko75
    Free Member

great – end of…..

stewartc
    Free Member

Have a 150mm version and very pleased with it, over 4 months of use and no problems.

Kahurangi

If I put my full weight on it once the lever is pressed it tends to stick. Anyone else observed this?

Is your seat clamp done up too tight?

I have a 150mm drop and love it. And it’ll never need bleeding 😆

slackalice
    Free Member

A friend has just gone through the choosing and buying process, looking at the Reverb, Thomson and LEV. We fitted the LEV yesterday evening and it is a beautiful bit of kit.

I would buy one for my bike.

thepurist

All the above +1 (lev owner since last September)

FuzzyWuzzy

Had mine since they came out and it’s worked great, as others have said the lack of cable growth and not having to worry about something else to bleed is great. It’s started to get a bit sluggish when returning now so might have to try some more air in it, it’s had a fair bit of abuse though so might need a clean inside as well (I haven’t touched it since I fitted it). It’s only failed once mid-ride and that turned out the cable had just popped out at the post so took a few seconds to fix.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I had 3, got fed up, sold the last one as a new warranty replacement & went back to my Reverb.

Functionally & aesthetically the Reverb lever is better if you don’t have a shifter on the LHS of the bars. The KS lever is a pain to get in the right place& the front exit cable gets in the way of the brake. I’ve since seen a few that people have fitted the original Crank Brothers Joplin lever to, so it fits under the bars in a better place for thumbs.

The cable is a non issue for me, my bike has sensible cable routing so a small loop that contacts nothing is great.

The lack of support in the UK is an issue too. For such an amazing product (Ha!) to go without a distributor for this amount of time is a telling tale.

fudge9202
    Free Member

I have noticed a lot of threads about reverb problems and not as much with the ks, I think the ks lev might be the better choice with no bleeding issues.

thepurist

fudge – (as a LEV owner) That’s something I considered when I was looking, but I’d counter that by saying that it would also appear that the Reverb is outselling the Lev by a significant factor, so even with a similar failure rate you’d expect to see more queries about Reverb problems.

fudge9202
    Free Member

I love a spanner in the works 😛

butterbean
    Free Member

I have noticed a lot of threads about reverb problems and not as much with the ks, I think the ks lev might be the better choice with no bleeding issues.

That’s because the numbers KS produce compared to RS is chump change. With OE sales RS are selling multiples of hundreds to the odd one KS post.

It’s only an issue bleeding them if you are a bit special.

perthmtb
    Free Member

I’d love to be able to contribute to this thread, but I ordered my LEV three weeks ago and its still not in stock 🙁

perthmtb
    Free Member

Gushing review of the LEV and an interesting titbit about there being a carbon version in the works here

MtbRoutes

Very happy LEV owner. I much prefer the LEV lever to the pig-ugly and vulnerable Reverb one – mine replaces the inner clamp on an On-One lock-on grip and is as neat as.
    If you’ve got two bikes with the same seat-tube diameter, you can easily swap between them using an extra remote kit.

FuzzyWuzzy

I think the Lev’s lever is genius (at least the lock-on ring replacement version) although the front cable exit is a bit odd and I can see it fouling the brake lever in some set-ups (mine rests on top).

matther01
    Free Member

butterbean – I’m special and proud!

perthmtb
    Free Member

the front cable exit is a bit odd and I can see it fouling the brake lever in some set-ups

It was suggested in a review I read somewhere to use a V-brake noodle to tidy the cable exit from the lever, but I’ve since found something purpose designed for the job – it’s called a ‘cockpit pipe’ and comprises a 90deg bend with a built-in barrel adjuster.

For the price we pay for the LEV you’d think they’d include one of these…

thepurist

perthmtb – got a link for that?

perthmtb
    Free Member

perthmtb – got a link for that?

Yep, got it here same place I bought my LEV.

thepurist

Ta – 15 Euros shipping for a 9 Euro part seems a bit off. Wonder if there’s a UK source. Or anyone buying a Lev soon who wants to tag one on?

perthmtb
    Free Member

Ta – 15 Euros shipping for a 9 Euro part seems a bit off.

Yeah – but never seems to be a problem for me as I always manage to find lots of other stuff to buy to spread the shipping cost 😉

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve only briefly tried a Lev on a demo bike and it was pretty good although I didn’t like the lever attached to the grips because it was too close for my liking. Nice idea though. It also had a but more play than my Reverb.

Personally I really like my Reverb but wouldn’t pay full price for it. I like the lever although run it under the bar where my other shifter would be so it is out of harm’s way. It’s easy to bleed and with my new frame there is only a teeny loop of cable.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I’ve had mine just over a year, used a lot mainly in the gritty muddy peak, but also Canada etc. and have a V-brake noodle, but never gotten round to fitting it. I found the remote too close by replacing a lock on ring, so run it slightly inboard, and the cable goes over the top of brake lever.

I’ve crashed it a couple of times to no noticeable effects. Never been serviced, or maintained in any meaningful way, only cleaned and silicon based fork spray.

It failed a month or two ago, after a couple of emails asking if I should crack it open and have a go (a’la the online service vids) or just send it back due to the lack of UK support I sent it back to the online retailer.

A few weeks later it was returned to me with some Spanish (I think) writing on a service slip, and an English note, basically saying they replaced the cartridge, stripped and serviced it under warranty.

Very happy with the service I got from wiggle on that, didn’t have to pay a penny, even returning it to them was a collect + free service

I also have a reverb that went onto the bike whilst the Lev was away, the Lev has gone back on now it’s back, it’s just better imho, just hope it doesn’t fail again anytime soon, as now out of warranty.

fudge9202
    Free Member

opinion here is that those that have had both the Lev and the reverb seem to prefer the ks Lev. Anyone prefer the opposite?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Not owned both but have used both and I prefer my Reverb. The bleeding is a none issue for me and they action is smoother than the Lev I tried. Ergonomically, I prefer the Reverb lever under the bars to the way tat the Lev had the lever mounted to the grips. The lack of UK support was an issue for me.

They both do the same thing and have their pros and cons.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yep, prefer the Reverb.

Few friends tried the Lev too, seduced by the non issue of the cable, all went back to the Reverb as well.

Better action, better reliability, better support.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Reading with interest; have had a KS non remote for the last few years, it’s been great.
    Time to upgrade where can I buy a 150mm from?

Kahurangi

It’s only an issue bleeding them if you are a bit special.

There’s something gone a bit wrong when the user needs to bleed their seat-post.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Time to upgrade where can I buy a 150mm from?

Have been waiting for three weeks for stock to come in, but just got notice yesterday that my 150mm LEV has been shipped from these guys

traildog
    Free Member

There’s something gone a bit wrong when the user needs to bleed their seat-post.

You could also say there is something gone a bit wrong when a user needs to change a cable on their seat-post.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Got a LEV sat on the work bench in pieces, internal cable snapped. Unable to change the cable due to the lower actuator being seized on, trying to sort out what to do with it.

m_t_b
    Free Member

Had a reverb it died after 3 months now got a LEV and find it allot better. Unless you have routing for stealth I would go with a LEV not just because it seems to work better but also the annoying cable has gone which would get in the way on descents.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘KS Lev opinions’ is closed to new replies.