Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • KS Lev installation and a question
  • hunta

Just finished installing my brand new KS Lev 😀

I had a few queries along the way, and one or two outstanding ones, so for anyone interested either because they’ve done it before or intend to embark on it themselves…

[list][*]It’s really not very hard…[/*]
    [*]Getting the cable length right is maybe the trickiest element. Add a couple of inches to the length you think you need. You won’t notice it if you don’t need it, but you sure will if you do. Mine ended up being a bit close for comfort.[/*]
    [*]You’ll initially install the post as it comes out the box, i.e. in the down position. Don’t forget to extend it to check the max height you’ll want to set at the clamp. This affects the final position of the cable end (see above…)[/*]
    [*]I ended up with a barrel adjuster which I didn’t use. I wasn’t too concerned as I’d heard others mention that the original design featured a noodle (which wasn’t supplied) which the adjuster seems to integrate with. I don’t like having bits left over though… Can anyone confirm?[/*]
    [*]It seems a quality bit of kit. Haven’t got it mucky yet, but if looks and feel are anything to go by I’m optimistic.[/*][/list]

Hope this helps.

sam_underhill

I ended up using an old brake noodles and the barrel adjuster but I agree, install properly and I doubt you would need it.

Excellent summary though. Mine has been dirty (including TwentyFour12 slurry) and washed with the hose several times now and still working well.

hunta

Sam, do you find there’s quarter of an inch play in the remote which doesn’t return fully and you have to push back manually to get it to go fully flush again? Just wondering whether with the additional spring in the barrel adjuster that might be remedied.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JoeG
    Free Member

On another thread there was a reference to an KS Lev installation video that is available here.

The video states that the inline barrel adjuster is optional. I did install it on mine.

sam_underhill

hunta – no. I don’t get that (or i just haven’t noticed). The barrel adjuster just lets you get more tension in the cable, it won’t provide any “spring” that directly influence the action. or course, if your cable is not quite tight enough then that may me enough for the lever to not quite spring back into position.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Holy thread resurrection – by me 🙂

If the post is compressed on arrival how do I determine what length to cut the cable? Is the measurement of the adjust exactly 100mm?

Is there a way to extend the post without fitting the cable?

I know, I know these questions are silly I just can’t get my head round it.

shredder
    Free Member

You can manually calfiddle the barrel that the cable pulls (when attached) which will raise the post .
    So take the KS cap off look at the little barrel thingymibob, I used a little screw driver to tease it out so I could then pull it with my fingers .
    Hope that helps

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Cheers mate ill go have a look.

p7rich
    Free Member

Mine is installed without barrel adjuster and fine so far. I had a bit of play in the lever and a few rides later i had to take a bit more out the cable because there was too much slack in it (post stopped extending). All fine now. Return gets a bit slow when it’s dirty but a wipe and some Fork Juice returns it to normal.

matther01
    Free Member

Hmmm…not my experience after a couple of rides and a swap between a new bike today.

Installed on my Ex8 with adjuster and worked well, but instant play after 1 ride (and I’m not a fatty or anything).

Wish I hadn’t cut the cable at 100mm as it made the adjuster sit in an awkward position. My advice is check where the barrel will sit best somewhere along the tt.

Decided to swap it onto my new Soul today with normal gear outer and no barrel and seriously doesn’t like it…to the point it doesn’t work!

Also be warned…the plastic noodle going into the cable housing is made of cheese. My one is utterly wrecked and I’ve only taken it out three times.

I’m going to gaffer tape the red cover too, as I’ve heard they have a tendency to fall off and a new one costs £8.

Written to superstar today about the play, hopefully they can fix it.

Still love it tho…

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

My frame has dropper cable guides along the under side of the toptube, where would you advise I put the barrel?

On the installation video he doesn’t even put it on.

matther01
    Free Member

Not saying you should use the barrel, just that its not working for me without it. Think I may have to shorten the cable…but then it won’t fit the Ex8…so may need separate cables for each bike!

Try without it first and see how it goes.

If you do need the barrel I’d aim for in the middle of the tt and between the cable guides.

matther01
    Free Member

Mosey-just shortened the cable by 1cm without the barrel adjuster and bam…works brilliantly.

Using a normal gear outer should also mean it will stretch better to fit my other bike too which I’d forgotten about.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Cheers mate brilliant, gonna give it a proper go tomorrow. It looks like a quality piece of kit.

rc200f8
    Free Member

I shortened an old v brake noodle and fitted it straight into the remote lever and then installed the adjuster barrel onto the noodle. I find the adjuster makes connecting and disconnecting the ‘claw’ easier as you can give the cable some slack.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘KS Lev installation and a question’ is closed to new replies.