Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • KS i900 adjustable seatpost
  • Sionwms
    Free Member

Been looking into getting an adjustable seatpost for a while as I’m fed up having to change saddle height all the time!! but just found them to be rather expensive and me rather skint. Having searched the Internet ive come across a KS i900 on a French websight for around £110.
    I’m very tempted….
    Anyone out there with any Experience with these posts… Reliability and so on!!
    Any advice appreciated!!! 🙂

ansdy

Mines been goin strong for over 18 months and recieved no attention from me what so ever apart
    From a new cable. If you can get them for that price don’t hesitate. In fact could you pm
    Me the link as the missus could do with one!
    A

Sionwms
    Free Member

Just what I wanted to hear… Have you used anything to protect the seals?
    Think it was around a 110 for the lever model and around 140 for the Remote version……. Next decision is whether to pay extra for the remote version 🙂

singlespeedstu

Next decision is whether to pay extra for the remote version

The answer to that is if you don’t get the remote version you’ll regret it. 😉

ChrisL

I have two, the first of which is a bit over two years old now. It initially went back under warranty several times but since the last revision of internals that it received (over a year ago) it’s been fine. The second is a bit over a year old. It needed to go back after the saddle clamp unbonded from the stanchion in a stack but otherwise has been good. I don’t have anything protecting the seals or the stanchions.

So I’d say that after some teething troubles the i900 has been pretty good. On the other hand I’d want decent warranty support so I’d be loathe to buy one from abroad.

If you get one, get one with a remote. Being able to drop your saddle without taking a hand off the bars is the killer feature of uppy-downy seatposts, IMO.

burt
    Free Member

i bought one without remote, one ride and several hairy moments trying to reach the lever, and i bought the remote kit next day.
    get the remote. 😀

Sionwms
    Free Member

Will certainly be going for the remote version then it makes sense…. I’d only wonder ‘what if’ if I bought the lever version.
    Now stuck need to decide whether it’s worth paying an extra £40-50 to buy it in the UK to get decent warranty support…. Ahhh decisions decisions :/

Ewan
    Free Member

Get the remote – pointless without it. If in doubt try riding into a techy bit on a local trail and do a micheal jackson style crotch grab.

Northwind

Get the remote. i900 isn’t convertible, with some seatposts it’s just an expensive mistake to rectify but with these it’s permanent.

Mine was flaky at first, didn’t work right from new (would stick down) and had to go back twice under warranty. But now that it works, it’s good, and it’s been reliable for 6 months of pretty constant use. My Gravity Dropper’s been more reliable mind, and it’s lighter, but it also looks like a dalek’s knob so that does count against it.

Dropper posts are awesome.

Sionwms
    Free Member

Remote i900 it is then….. No Beer for me this weekend 🙁

convert

How much is the remote version costing you then? I got mine a couple of years ago from moose cycles as they were cheap – they currently are doing them for £164 (another 10% off if your are stw premier). Is the difference worth the faff with a potential warranty problem with a bit of kit that a lot of folk have had issues with. Mine is fine but its on a bike that rarely goes out in the gloop and I’m anal about maintenance.

Googling for this post I have discovered you can get an upgrade kit to change the red bits to lots of other colours. Possibly the daftest £50 I might ever spend.

Sionwms
    Free Member

Haha I’ve seen that colour coding kit…., £50 well spent I’d say 🙂
    Cheapest I’ve found the remote version is 146 from France…. Your probably right I should stick to a UK supplier for the warranty. Gutted that they are currently unavailable on moose cycles 🙁 I may just have to hold out til they come back in stock.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if the warranty isnt EU-wide, in fact I’m sure thats a legal requirement of the common market.

Sionwms
    Free Member

That’s a good point……. You’ve thrown another spanner into the works 🙂
    The cheapest I’ve found is 179.99 in UK…that’s slighty pushing my budget…. Either way I’ll probably make the wrong decision sods law

ruscle
    Free Member

If your looking at spending £190 on a droppy seatpost I got the rockshox reverb post for £195 delivered from Hibike in Germany, delivered in 4 days and has a sweet hydrolic bar mounted controller, also comes with bleed kit and hose clips etc.

Sionwms
    Free Member

Now you’ve got me thinking….. My blow my budget on the Reverb 🙂 or maybe not.. Haha. All comes down to the warranty issue!!!!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

For what it’s worth, my Mrs’ has had 2 KS seatposts. The first one was used 8 times and lasted 6 weeks, before it had to go to the shop & then back to the distributer.

After 3 weeks of chasing they replaced the 900 with a 950 as they didn’t have any stock of the bits needed to fix it. That lasted approximatly another 5 weeks and was only used a handful of times before it also sh*t its guts out.

Again, went back to the shop, and back to the distributer. Another 3 weeks of chasing (getting close to leaving date for the Mega) they decide they can’t fix it again as no stock of bits, so the shop replaces it with a Reverb.

I wish it worked better, as the lever design is head & shoulders over that of the Reverb, just the actual post itself is complete junk.

The shop in question have sacked off selling the posts now, as the large majority of them have come back in one shape of form for warranty work. Makes the Reverb look like the pinnacle of reliability!!!

Sionwms
    Free Member

Hmmm well if I’m spending a 150+ I might aswell spend a little extra on a more reliable post….. Might switch my attention to the Reverb then. Seen it for 249 on a UK site I might shop arroundca bit longer.

ruscle
    Free Member

Reverb post seems more reliable now its been around for a year, had no issues with mine and its fairly simple to service yourself with all the videos on youtube. I’m sure as previously stated by Munqe-chick that the warranty should be covered in the uk if purchasing in the EU.

Sionwms
    Free Member

Will check the Reverb out on the Hibije website then… Payday today so I’ve got no excuse not to blow £200 on a new seatpost 🙂

ruscle
    Free Member

Good choice, you won’t regret it, I didn’t. All I need now is some way to convince Highbike to give me commission! 🙂

MadPierre

I have a KS and a Reverb. They both work. The Reverb works better.

Sionwms
    Free Member

Next decision left or right remote and standard or mmx remote as I’m sure it will work with my x7 shifters and there 220 on CRC…… Nothings ever straightforward with mountain biking 😕

convert

To be fair if the reverb had existed when I bought my KS, I’d have gone for the Reverb too. Reverb is an inline whilst the KS a layback which might be a good or bad thing for you…….

You’ve come a long way from the £110 you were going to spend – ain’t consumerism great!

MussEd
    Free Member

As an aside to all this, does anyone know where I can get a replacement cable for KS950i? Not the cable kit or colour code upgrade? just a new cable? snapped mine in a crash last week…

ruscle
    Free Member

The MMX is the same as the normal mount with an extra bit you can use for match maker or not for normal mount, so just get the MMX. On Hibike I could only get right mount as no options specified. Also the reverb is specified as an online but the bottom half of the cradle is very long and the top half is short, so I turned the bottom half round which then gave me about 15mm of layback, I’ve had no problems running it like this.

ruscle
    Free Member

Ain’t your cable a normal brake or gear cable depending on the end bit?

MussEd
    Free Member

not really a standard cable – it had a wee allen bolt thingummy which now resides in some French undergrowth somewhere…

Sionwms
    Free Member

Reverb seatpost is in my basket just building up the courage to click the pay £200 button… I may need a few beers first 🙂

mega
    Free Member

do it do it do it

then send it to me

ruscle
    Free Member

Just do it, the quicker you press the button the qiucker it will be on uour bike!

Sionwms
    Free Member

Haha peer pressure, Spend and extra 25 and get it from Chain reaction for warranty… stolen up and just buy it from Germany……

ChrisL

MussEd, I’ve replaced the cable on an i900R with a standard gear cable, probably more than once. Unless there’s something quite different about the i950’s design I’d imagine you could too.

On the other hand, the Allen bolt wouldn’t be the wee grub screw that goes into the lever on the post? That’s part of the seatpost though, not the cable. If so, try contacting the distributor and see if they can send you a replacement.

whiter74
    Free Member

A tip to prolong its life which ever model, I had a i950 and now the reverb . Use a small cut piece of inner tube over the post. Helps keep lots of the crap out of the seals, especially over winter time. Worked a treat for me

ruscle
    Free Member

When I got mine I couldnt get it for under £250, would have bought from crc for £220 if could have, but also only needed the short version so would still get from germany now.

Sionwms
    Free Member

Stretching my budget as it is so I’ll go for the German cheaper option….
    So to cover the pjst have you just zip tied either end of the inner tube to keep the crap out?? Mite gave an old lizard skin that I’m sure I’ll can use after some simple modifications

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘KS i900 adjustable seatpost’ is closed to new replies.