Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Kona Ute?
  • motorman
    Free Member

Anyone got one or tried one? Recommended, or keep saving for surly big dummy?

jackthedog
    Free Member

Yuba Mundo doesn’t appeal?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Have you seen the new shorter Min-ute . . .

Neat 8)

romster
    Free Member

Anyone got one or tried one? Recommended, or keep saving for surly big dummy?

I haven’t got one, but a good buddy has! He takes it out a lot, one child on the back, one child on the front, and loadssss of shopping attached elsewhere. He absolutely loves it and can’t get enough.

It’s a great family machine from what i have seen of it, or would you be riding solo?

motorman
    Free Member

Family machine 🙂 Kids, dogs you get the idea…

That Yuba has caught my attention, I can possibly build a fat cargo bike out of that frame will all my spare fatty parts! 😈

Yuba fatty project

jackthedog
    Free Member

The Mundo would be the one for me due to the balance of cost and carrying capacity/versatility. When funds allow I’m having one.

Currently lusting over this as well, even if it does appear to be sized for some kind of giant.

Bilenky by Rasmus Bertelsen, on Flickr

toys19
    Free Member

I have a ute and love it.
    FYI when the stand breaks as its a piddly aluminium thing you can bolt on this lovely Hebie one for 20 quid from Rose Bikes

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not fancy a bakfiets?

epicyclo

I often wonder why we don’t see more Pashley posty type bikes being used for load carying. Seem ideal for carrying heaps of stuff without having a huge long bike. Make a useful end-to-end camper bike.

I’ve got a Surly Instigator frame that would be ideal for one of those extending kits.

toys19
    Free Member

epicyclo, I think the issue is carrying weight on the front wheel makes the steering a bit funny..

Also the long bike means you can carry some really big stuff. I find the ute to be an awesome piece of kit, it’s what I ride most days.Have had many good days out on it too.

Clong
    Free Member

Have one and its cool. Not used a huge amount, but its a damm fine ride when i do use it. Carried everything from a marquee to chicken feed. Handling gets a bit interesting when heavily loaded, i ve had 100kgs at one point and its a bit wobbly in the turns.

charliedontsurf

I haves used and sold both dummies and utes.
    You get what you pay for.
    The dummy is much more versatile, and cool. And can change your life.
    The ute does the job but you will find its limitations if you want to haul more than shopping.

epicyclo

charlie the bikemonger – Member
    …The dummy is much more versatile, and cool. And can change your life…

I keep think of getting a Dummy. It strikes me as an ideal bike for a leisurely end to end, camping a few days here and there. No hurry, no worry.

toys19
    Free Member

When a bike merchant makes a judgement on a bike I always wonder if their motivations are pure, whilst you garner a lot of respect on here Charlie, I do wonder if you make more profit on dummies? The reason I say this is that I do not think there is anything like a gulf between the functions of a Ute and a Dummy, other than price and niche factor. And I know a buyer for a big bike chain who told me this was so when I asked him why lots people don’t sell Utes any more…

The ute is so cheap I cannot imagine anyone wants to sell them when they flog the niche dream of the dummy or yuba.

My ute has changed my life completely, I haven’t carried fridges or water bowsers on mine (yet), but I have carried other bikes, mtb frames, bags of sand and building materials, all my tools, massive parcels. It will fit two kids, and all my camping gear for a couple of nights. Without the kids on it I reckon I could easily go away for a couple of weeks. I carry a hell of a lot more than I ever would on a normal bike and its got me using the bike every day and selling our 2nd car. Thats life changing without having to get a 2nd mortgage to buy a dummy.

It seems pretty versatile to me, I can carry three kids and still fill both my panniers.

It does easily carry all the sister jeans cool factor of a dummy. In my town I’ve only seen one other Ute and people stop and ask me about it all the time, you can hear the woosh of knickers hitting the ground when I cycle past a a group of students, (male and female, bonus. Since buying the ute all the parts of my body that need to grow have done so, and the bits that need to shrink have also.. All for 525 delivered..

Limitations compared to a dummy? There are only three I can think of:

1) Shorter wheelbase than dummy or yuba so I imagine that you can carry even bigger stuff on one of them. So you are limited as to how and where you place big loads, too far back and it will wobble like hell, to the point of unridableness, but then I’ll bet I could find a big enough load/poor placement on a dummy that would make it unrideable.
    2) No platforms under the panniers so you rely on the strength of the bag, although I have plans to solve this.
    3) Crap centre stand, so loading big stuff takes a helper or a wall to lean against. Although the hebie one for 20 quid I showed above goes a long way to fixing this, and I have plans afoot to solve this too, related to my lower platform idea.

Advantages:
    1) I can fit it in my car without having to take any wheels off.
    2) Cheaper – and it comes complete, not like a BD, Yuba or Xtracycle where you pay an arm and a leg for the base model and then umpteen pounds more for any accessories.
    3) It isn’t really so different from the other cargo bikes that it’s essentially good enough for what most people want it for. I’m happy to stick to using my car for the once a year need to move fridges.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

epicyclo how about one of these? Would be good for you leisurely camping trip. Hub gears and brakes as well

fourbanger
    Free Member

Have you seen the new shorter Min-ute . . .

This is just a bicycle with panniers….

toys19
    Free Member

Teej, that has my Hebie stand on it too..

and in fact from Charlies website

Charlie says… “this is how your parcels get to the post office, and how my dogs, kids, surfboards, and drunk friends get around… Effin marvelous, sell your second car now”

I can do all of this on my Ute, and I didnt have to use the proceeds from my selling second car to fund the buying of the Ute.

epicyclo

TandemJeremy – Member
    epicyclo how about one of these?

I’d sooner have a Pashley than that. Looks too “designer” with all its curved tubes doing nothing useful except adding weight.

motorman
    Free Member

FFS….
    Well I was going for a yuba frameset but shipping to my location in Scotland is £110…grrrrh Box too long for normal shipping rates.

Just greed….my fatbike came all the way from Alaska for not much more 🙄

toys19
    Free Member

Blimey 110? Thats crazy. Day out to go and collect?

motorman
    Free Member

has a new plan 😆

toys19
    Free Member

Cynic-Al is the resident expert on this method.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Cynic-Al is the resident expert on this method.

Similar, but from what I recall he failed to include the achilles tendon lacerating wire basket device into his design, unfortunately.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mine has yet to get a rack fitted, but I love it!

If anyone is considering it I have a few tips now.

IMAG0792.jpg by alan cole, on Flickr

wwaswas

If anyone is considering it I have a few tips now.

such as;

1) don’t
    2) I really mean it, unless you want small children pointing and laughing don’t

😉

toys19
    Free Member

Ignore him, tip us up baby.

cynic-al
    Free Member

wwaswaswasaaswad…I’ll have a bike that’s as good as a ute for <£100 plus what I have lying around.

Flame away if you like and that’s all you’re capable of, but let’s see your efforts first eh?

toys – the main tip is check the angle that the rear bike’s chainstays go out at – obviously you want it to be horizontal or else the handling will suffer and your pedals might hit the ground a lot.

Also check nothing to get in the way of the chain.

See if there’s a clever way of fixing your rack on (depends with your rack is going to be like – I’m using an old citroen van roof rack – the beefy rear frame means I should be OK to drill straight into it)

sam_underhill

All for 525 delivered..

Where from?

kiwijohn

Hmmm?
    Wonders how many back ends you could bolt on before it got really silly.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Wonders how many back ends you could bolt on before it got really silly.

One.

toys19
    Free Member

singletrackbikes.co.uk although I don’t think they have stock any more this was a year or so ago. FYI single track bikes gave awesome service – the pedals mine came with were borked, so they sent me a set of dmr v8s free of charge.

Unfortunately I haven’t seen a ute for less than 900 for a while now, they have got a bit more popular so I don’t think many people discount them.

TBH if I was going to pay that I might be tempted to get a yuba mundo. I was utterly surprised just now to see practical cycles have complete bikes for 949, but then yo still have to get deck, panniers and a stand which is 100 each for panniers, 50 for the deck and 50 odd for the stand. Make a deck.. Still at 1300 with everything you need thats a dam sight less than a big dummy.

The only issue with the yuba is weight – the ute is the lightest of the lot.

The stand stability does look awesome though
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMPekeFlAb4[/video]

There is a good review of the Big Dummy versus the Yuba MUndo here .
    TBH the difference is yuba mundo is stronger and can carry more but weighs more. And its half the price of the big dummy.

Heavyweight Showdown: Big Dummy vs Yuba Mundo

toys19
    Free Member

The there is the Sun Atlas which is 679 us dollars!

clicky

Needs a uk dealer pronto.

epicyclo

The Yuba frame is €575

Looks like a bargain to me.

prettygreenparrot

I really like the Ute. There’s one often parked at work and it just looks so…functional. I’d love one. Not sure when I’d ride it, but I’m sure I’d find a time.

toys19
    Free Member

yeah 499 from practical cycles, still needs a deck, bags, and centre stand.

toys19
    Free Member

V interesting comparism of the Sun Atlas, Yuba Mundo and The Surly Big Dummy here.

motorman
    Free Member

It was practical cycles who were going to charge £110 to deliver frameset to highlands…just sayin 🙄 Not their fault, just what the courier charges.

Liking the diy job Al….is that an Alfine on the back?

Does the ute have disc tabs on the rear, or is it rim brakes only?

toys19
    Free Member

Ute has disc tabs. Bike comes with avid bb5 which have been faultless even with my 14 stone and fully laden..

I’m not trying to sing practical’s praises, I just don’t know anywhere else in the uk selling cargo bikes.. Although practical naffed up an order once they made good on it with a partial refund so I think they are probs ok. Then again my hebie stand from practical is about 40 quid when it was 20 from germany..

Motorman, I’ve been thinking I might flog the ute frame and get a yuba mundo one…

motorman
    Free Member

Yeah, I don’t have a problem with them, very good dealings so far, just got the hump because while I was waiting for an answer on delivery costs, They sold the discounted V3 frame I had my eye on. So the Mundo frame option went from £320 to £610 over the weekend.

So…if the Ute was run with 26″ wheels, how wide a tyre would you get in the back?

toys19
    Free Member

Ha ha I knew the fat bike issue was coming.. I dunno I’ll measure it tonight. I’m still thinking about it.

Am I right in thinking that the yuba uses a threaded headset? That is slightly off putting..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Kona Ute?’ is closed to new replies.