Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Kona Unit vs Charge Cooker Single Speed
  • Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Considering a not too expensive single speed rigid 29er… Any thoughts on the above bikes or any other suggestions?

qwerty
    Free Member

Check out their top tube lengths, i think that the Kona will be longer than the Charge, this may help you decide depending on fit.

qwerty
    Free Member

Cannondale? in Alu with a S T I F F fork?

jaymoid

One thing that puts me off the charge is the eccentric bottom bracket. Apparently they require a bit more maintenance, and look quite complex which I think goes against the simple ethos of the rigid/ss, so I think I would prefer horizontal drop outs. I do however have a cooker and really like it (but it’s not SS but looking to make it rigid!)

breadcrumb

That’s one of the reasons I went for the Unit, the sliding drop outs are a breeze to adjust.

Also the Unit can run a suspension fork while the Charge won’t IIRC, makes the Unit a bit more versatile IMO

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Ok, thanks for your thoughts chaps… I’m coming round to the opinion that whilst the Charge is prettier I prefer the Kona…

benji
    Free Member

I prefer slider dropouts to eccentric bottom brackets, have run both, the sliders are a lot less maintenance.

jaymoid

I don’t think either really represent good value for money, e.g. avid mechanical brakes on the unit. I might be tempted to look at the on-one inbred ss, and the carbon fork.

breadcrumb

TBH most bikes don’t represent good value for money these days! I removed the BB7s and sold them on, just put some Elixir 5s on.

I considered an Inbred, but had heard that they felt a bit dead, and I didn’t want slotted dropouts if possible. Sliding dropouts offer easier wheel removal.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Kona Unit vs Charge Cooker Single Speed’ is closed to new replies.