Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Kona Unit — geared dropouts
  • legometeorology
    Free Member

I’m considering a 2017 Kona Unit for my partner but struggling to work out what dropouts I would need to convert to gears… Anyone know is any of these would do? Thanks

https://www.probikeshop.com/en/gb/kona-cmphcc-derailleur-hanger/84435.html
    https://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/hangers/derailleur-hanger-brands/kona/kona-hanger-121

cromolyolly
    Free Member

It is new or used, frameset or complete bike?  Reason I ask is that the frameset used to come with both sets of dropouts.

You also used to be able to get the dropouts directly from Kona as a part. So you could find the part number from Kona and buy it from them or from a third party.

cromolyolly
    Free Member
    kimbers

My 2015 unit has the 1st one you linked to,

And 2017 dropouts look same as mine

legometeorology
    Free Member

Ah, great, thanks cromo, it’s used but I hadn’t thought to ask the owner if they have one.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

HTH

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Oh. Good point.  I assumed OP wanted the QR version.  If you want the TA, then guitarhero has the one.

legometeorology
    Free Member

Thanks all, it’s the QR one I’d need as it comes QR as standard.

Now to decide if to buy the bike…

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Had a longish test ride of a ’16 unit in SS form before they went to the 27+ version.  Fun bike, Reynolds 520, not too heavy, stiff but not too stiff, just sort of right.  They have a bit of a cult in SS, those who like them, like them a lot.  I wanted the purple ’15 bit couldn’t find one.  The newer one ’17 and on has slightly different Geo, because it is pushed as more of a bike packer than a SS mtb.  Haven’t ridden newer one but have thought about a frameset with 29 wheels it’ll take up to 2.2. iirc on 29.

legometeorology
    Free Member

Cool, I’ve gone for it. Gonna make an expensive Xmas present for her. Well, kind of for Xmas but she’ll probably be riding it within two weeks so Xmas is nothing but an excuse 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Kona Unit — geared dropouts’ is closed to new replies.