• This topic has 58 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Kona Cinder Cone – Retro or Modern?
  • yunki
    Free Member

I’ve got a Joe Murray era steel Voodoo which makes an ace rigid SS bimbler/pub bike.
    It’s pretty good fun on smoother trails and woody singletrack, with a singular fork to slacken the angles, fat tyres and sweepy bars.

My other half is looking for a better mtb on the bike to work scheme now that she has paid her dues on a BSO across the Quantocks and Dartmoor..
    The 2017 cinder cone has had some great reviews, the frame is said to be a really clever use of aluminium.
    Looks as good as anything else in the same price range so it’s now a toss up between the kona and a whyte, depending on which feels better on a test ride.

garlic
    Free Member

Innovative bikes in the 90s but will not compare to a modern MTB. Old components were rubbish and frames had too short a wheelbase and the wheels were too small. basically, buying a 20+ year old MTB as your main off-road rig is chucking 20+ years of understanding and innovation in the bin.

Bez

Old components were rubbish

Hm, bombproof thumbshifters, knee-friendly stems, everlasting bottom brackets, mud-friendly sprocket spacing…? Sure, some old stuff was rubbish. Plenty of it wasn’t.

too short a wheelbase and the wheels were too small

Nimble, chuckable, easily manualed, works for me. YMMV.

buying a 20+ year old MTB as your main off-road rig is chucking 20+ years of understanding and innovation in the bin

If your MTBing mostly comprises fast descending on big rocks, then yeah, pretty much. If it mostly comprises swoopy singletrack, though, then a flickable old-schooler is still a ton of fun.

Ride what you like, innit.

Spin
    Free Member

If your MTBing mostly comprises fast descending on big rocks, then yeah, pretty much. If it mostly comprises swoopy singletrack, though, then a flickable old-schooler is still a ton of fun.

This.

Whether you’ll enjoy a retro bike is really down to your expectations. If you expect it to be like a modern bike then you’ll be disappointed but if you take it for what it is and use it appropriately then it’ll be a gas.

Personally I’d suggest going fully rigid and single speed on such a machine so that you can really savour its qualities.

zippykona

I’ve got some folding Smoke and Dart tyres in the loft someone can have for the cost of postage .

sadexpunk

My brother has owned from new a 1998? Kileaua (mustard yellow colour frame).

thats what this started out as, got it powdercoated pink, had ss ends welded on the end, skinny silver rigid forks, magura hydraulic rim brakes, i loved that bike. twangy, light and went like stink! cant even remember selling it now, but i wish i hadnt.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Personally I’d suggest going fully rigid and single speed on such a machine so that you can really savour its qualities.

^ I second this approach, even if my body doesn’t/didn’t 8)

Single (or dingle) speed butted-cromo-rockets are fun, like BMX/MTB crossover for should’ve-grown-ups. And never underestimate the power and feel of some well set-up V brakes. Deore are all you need in that department. Magura HS like wot sadexpunk had there are even better.

Middleburn cranks? Suits me sir. I see another interminable MLC/retrovision purchase on the horizon. Must. Stop. Must. See. Sense.

Because of this discussion I just checked my 2016 Vagabond (M) geometry against an old steel Kona (’97, 18″), and they really aren’t that far off. Head-angles are the same, wheelbase is a cm longer on Vagabond.

Andy-R

Anyone ridden an old Kona 69er style?

I had a ’95 Explosif that I used like that for a year or two – singlespeed with Trickstuff Exzentriker BB, Salsa Cromoto forks and Magura Marta brakes.
    I did originally use it with a 26″ wheel and rigid forks but prefered it with the 29″ front wheel, although back then I couldn’t find forks with any more than 38mm offset. Now, of course, I’d use a Singular Hummingbird/Gryphon fork….

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=46458&start=0

binners

Oooooooo… are we posting pictures of our old Cinder Cones. My old one isn’t a ‘proper’ one as its not steel. Great bike though. And still alive in single speed mode with another forum member…

johnw1984
    Free Member

Just started restoring a 98 Scott Tampico. Think it’s when Scott first started using aluminium frames?

could do with some better, or rigid forks to replace the Rockshox Indy S 🙂

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Sorry andy I edited my post re 69er after the event. Useful info, thanks. That blue Explosif of yours looks the shniz. I hankered after a Haro Mary SS for a good while and now wonder now how much of it was down to the fetching blue colour :mrgreen:

(Wishes old Konas were 29ers)

So what would be the nearest modern 29er equivalent of the classic 90s steel Cinder Cone/Lava Dome frameset? The Unit?

Andy-R

Somewhere there are photos of it with the 29″ front wheel but I haven’t found them yet. I stopped using it once I got my first Singular Hummingbird though. It was light, lighter than the ‘bird but didn’t handle as well.

igm

In a little over 2 hours I shall be riding my 93 Hahana back from the station to home – in a suit.
    Rigid with 2.3 Big Apples, and a pannier rack, looks terrible, rides brilliantly – perfect leave it in town bike.
    £50 off that there Ebay.

So what would be the nearest modern 29er equivalent of the classic 90s steel Cinder Cone/Lava Dome frameset?

Singular Swift?

binners

While we’re on to old 90’s steel things. My old 99 Reynolds 525 GT Timberline, set up for commuting duties….

Frame purchased for a tenner off ebay, stripped back to its ovalsed, beautifully brazed loveliness, powder coated, then pitted with Pace 36’s. Retro-Tactic!

firestarter
    Free Member

Zippykona I’d have those tyre please 🙂

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Is this a serious question ?
    What do u mean by MTBing are you going to be cycling on the same trails as your cyclocross or bigger stuff ?

If your doing bigger stuff obviously a newer bike will be much much better.
    If your doing local bridleways etc then a new mtb will still be better.

Its fun to go back and ride a retro bike, but if you havent ridden a MTB in 15 years I think it would be more fun to get something new and see how that rides first.

If its local bridleways a 29er might be a good call.

Andy-R

I wouldn’t go out and buy one, just for the sake of having a bike to ride but there are one or two that I wouldn’t mind owning and riding just for the pleasure of using nice objects. My Explosif I’ve had since ’88 anyway, so I really can’t see me parting with it now – why would I? It still gets ridden from time to time, mostly on group rides to give all the cool young dudes something to laugh about – and then they soon realise that there’s not that much to laugh about after all.

The popular opinion is that these old bikes were/are only good for nice smooth fireroads and grassy lanes – the funny thing is, some of us were riding these much the same places as we ride now on a lot newer machinery. I don’t remember being cautious or slow and mincy either. Those old pre-90’s Konas are actually good handling bikes, not plush and compliant but they do handle well if you trust them and just let them go. I used to say that my old Explosif knows every good line on every climb and descent around here.

I’ve had some great times on it – some of the best riding and racing days of my life, never to be repeated now, that’s for sure.

jamj1974

I keep my Cindercone largely retro. It’s a ’95 model with some ’97 parts. Riding it is a joy, it still devours miles efficiently and tight singletrack is heavenly. Not as good in steep descents but I wouldn’t use it for that now…

If you want a taste of 90’s Kona feel in a modern package – get a Soul. The best Kona that Kona don’t make.

ctk
    Free Member

If your 6ft ish or more consider a rigid 29er like a Singular Swift.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Kona Cinder Cone – Retro or Modern?’ is closed to new replies.