Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Kona Caldera single speed project HELP!!
  • onionmk
    Free Member

I just bought a Kona Caldera frame (2004 model i think) and I’m thinking of building it up as a budget single speed. It’s not ss specific so there is a slot for a derailleur hanger. Seeing as I’m going ss I don’t want the hanger on there but I’m guessing the wheel won’t fit on without it. I’m using a bolt on as opposed to a QR hub. Is there a part available that can fill in this slot without the hanger sticking out or does no such thing exist? Or am I going to have to go DIY and saw it off? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

wwaswas

How were you planning on tensioning the chain?

Does it have slidey dropouts or an EBB or something?

curlie467
    Free Member

I presume you mean it has a cutout that the hanger sits in.
    No, you wont be able to get a part that sits in there that doesn’t have the hanger part and no, don’t cut it off either.
    You need to get a tensioner so you might need it to bolt one to!

onionmk
    Free Member

I don’t have an ebb. I was planning on seeing if I could get the right tension by using different chains and adjusting the length. Is this possible? Even if so, is it risky? If that didn’t work I’d just get a tensioner. I’m trying to keep the costs down as I’m on a budget you see..

curlie467
    Free Member

You will cock around a whole lot more and probably spend more while adjusting chains etc.
    Even when you do find that magic ration the chain will stretch and you will need another.

Just buy a tensioner or use and old rear mech to do it.

onionmk
    Free Member

I’ll save time and effort and just buy the tensioner. Thanks for the help!

curlie467
    Free Member

No problem, should be ok with the spring loaded superstar one.

breadcrumb

I’m like a broken record but I used a Blackspire Stinger as a neater solution to tensioning the chain on my old Kula.

Makes removing and reinstalling the rear wheel easy.

breadcrumb

And I removed the gear hanger and shaped a infill piece to tidy the drop out up a bit.

Moe

Love the home made stand! 8)

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

got a 2006 caldera that I ran as a singlespeed for a while used an on one chain tensioner did exactly what it should never had a prob added bonus as I didn’t muck about with frame was easy to turn it back to gears which is how it is now

breadcrumb

Cheers, I keep meaning to make a posher one, that one does the job though.

mattjg
    Free Member

I used the Surly Singleator on my Yelli Screamy, worked well.

It’s sprung, like a derailleur, which gives a smoother cycle (perhaps) as it moves up and down with the chain tension changes. Or it could be nonsense that it’s better, but it definitely moves!

onionmk
    Free Member

@breadcrumb Woah that blackspire tensioner looks ace! And I’m curious as to how you neatened the dropout – whats an infill and where do I get one? Btw I’m also planning on using the same Deore crankset as the one in the second pic. How did you find converting it to a single ring? Was it difficult? Did you need shorter chainring bolts?

breadcrumb

I made the infill piece from a piece of aluminium, you could trim down a mech hanger or try wanted ad for a broken one?

Dead easy to convert the chainset to a single. Yes you will need shorter chainring bolts, you could file them down though. I’ve used washers in the past too, but it’s only a few quid for shorter bolts from Charlie the bikemonger.

onionmk
    Free Member

Cheers breadcrumb, I’ll mostly likely order my bolts from there.

I can’t seem to post an image or I would have shown how I’m getting on. Lots of parts arriving soon. Can’t wait to put this thing together and see what all this ‘single speed’ hype is about! My biggest worry is not getting the gear ratio right. Done a little research and think 36×16 would be good for me. I intend to use it as a ‘do-it-all’ bike. I’ll be riding ~ 60% road and 40% trails. Nothing technical though- just local canal-ways and country parks. What do you think? What do you run? I’d appreciate any suggestions!

breadcrumb

I ran 32:18 on my Kula (26″), but that was purely trails, and I live next to the Lakes! I’m on a 29er now with the same ratio, bit harder going but still enjoyable.

To be honest, even if you find it too hard on the trails, you could swap the rear sprocket to a 18t and have the 2:1 gearing most folk run anyway. Rear sprockets are only about £4.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Kona Caldera single speed project HELP!!’ is closed to new replies.