Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Kona Bicycles sold to Ohio outdoor group
  • Premier Icon masterdabber
    Free Member

Don’t know whether this is good or bad news.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry-news/2022/01/19/kona-bicycles-sold-seattle-outdoor-group#.YehVQvinxPY

Kona’s founders, Dan Gerhard, Jake Heilbron, and Jimbo Holmstrom will remain with the company.

Premier Icon doris5000
    Free Member

It won’t change the fact that the 1994 Kona range were the coolest bikes EVER

Premier Icon plus-one
    Free Member

94/95/96 were my favorite Kona years. Everything before and after(my 2010) bandwagon Ss being an exception) has been shite 😉

Premier Icon kimbers

Doubt itll chanage much

My Process is still a brilliant bike!

-as is my 97 Lava Dome, my 2008 Cowan, my 2014 Unit, my 2007 Dew dL, My 2015 Dew DL, and my 2002 Bear DL

Premier Icon jimmy

One of my biggest biking regrets was not buying a Lava Dome in 93 to replace my stolen bike. Instead, I liked the paint job on the Shogun Sahara so bought that. FFS.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

I only got excited once about a new Kona once since 1998. I sold it after two rides.

My old 1994 Lava Dome/Cinder Cone was by far my favourite bike of the 90s. It lasted until 2007 thanks to moving to a damp place which gave it the wrong kind of eruptions.

Will Kona ever explode again, though?

Premier Icon inkster
    Free Member

All through the 2000’s, Kona 26″ hardtails had head angles a couple of degrees slacker than nearly all the competition, making them almost ride-able in this day and age. The Easton frames were lovely.

Premier Icon sotonkona

I’ve owned Kona’s since the 90’s and a huge fan. Always loved the brand ethos and fact it was still owned and run by the two founders who supported so many grassroots programmes, community projects etc. Service/tech support has always been superb and their geometry has always been ahead of the game, those early 90’s bikes will always have a special place for me. I like the fact that they were brave enough to try different things from the outset, even when sometimes they didn’t quite work – that infamous Magiclink was a great concept in theory, but the first generation was shocking, sadly by the time they had refined it enough consumers had lost confidence, but I have to say it worked brilliantly with an aux air shock on the Scandium Abra Cadabra. When they released the Process and the 111 in particular they changed the game again. I currently have a Process 134 CR 29er, it’s the perfect all rounder IMO.

I am sure with the founders still at the helm, the same team still in place and some decent investment they can continue to evolve.

Premier Icon Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

My favourite Kona of recent times has been the Sutra Ltd, and I hope this doesn’t mean they stop making odd bikes like that.

Premier Icon gobuchul
    Free Member

I still have a Kona PHD 2007. flat bar road bike.

Lovely Easton frame.

Premier Icon stcolin
    Free Member

I’m sure I still have an old Kona catalogue at my parents house somewhere from the early 90’s. Always wanted a Fire Mountain with yellow Judys on it. They’re never on my radar these days, although I remember when the process came out and was pushing the modern geometry.

I still my have Coiler 26 with BETD link and 66s up front which is still ridden a lot. You can keep your fancy pants carbon £10k wet dream, I’m still having fun!!

Premier Icon ElShalimo

My Dad has a 95ish Cinder Cone with all its original spec parts.

It’s probably done less than 1000 miles since new

Premier Icon doris5000
    Free Member

steal it! He’ll never notice. That’ll make a cracking commuter bike.

Premier Icon ElShalimo

I’ve told him to sell it. He’s 75 now and will never ride it again

Premier Icon TiRed

My 2007 Paddy Wagon is my favourite road bike. Only the frame and brake levers are original. Almost bought a Grand Wagon for the better steel, but decided against and will go custom. RIP Paddy Wagon, can’t believe they dropped what was the best fixed wheel bike out there.

My Unit 29-er was stolen, and I replaced it with a 26-er Alfine Genesis, that rides about the same (after adding rigid carbon forks and losing the Alfine hub), but I do miss that bike too.

Premier Icon gordimhor

I hope they don’t bugger it up. I have a Kona Wozo, it is just stupidly good fun on two wheels.

Premier Icon Daffy

Still rocking my Band Wagon:

Though the cranks, brakes and seatpost are the only original fittings.

Premier Icon Bunnyhop
    Free Member

My first proper mtb was a Cindercone. I broke it on Catbells.

I remember some ‘rude’ names in the early days, (oooh matron).

Premier Icon misteralz
    Free Member

Resigned to the fact I’ll never see my Explosif again. I loved that bike. Would love another Kona one day…

Premier Icon masterdabber
    Free Member

I guess I made this thread as I’ve recently taken an interest in Kona and have just bought my first one A Hei Hei.

Early days as I’m only just getting back to riding after as crash but….loving it so far.

Premier Icon didnthurt

I’ve owned three Kona bikes and loved them all. They’ve never been good value though unless bought in the sales.

Hope the investment allows them to either stock better components for the money or lower their prices to undercut the mainstream opposition. All whilst still being able to try new things. Otherwise I can see them just being a name slapped on a generic bike picked from a Taiwanese factory.

Premier Icon jamj1974

The early to mid-90’s were the golden age for Kona.

As good as they were in an amateur racers hands at that time, they made truly rideable and capable bikes for normal riding aka down country/trail riding.

An early adopter of suspension corrected forks and With longish top tubes for the time, they could be easily updated to a shorter stem and riser bar as things changed in the later 90’s and early 2000’s.

Premier Icon jamj1974

My Dad has a 95ish Cinder Cone with all its original spec parts.

It’s probably done less than 1000 miles since new

Let me know if he does decide to sell, I still have my ‘95 CinderCone from new, and I would ensure that it is treated respectfully.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.