Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Knog Scout Bike Alarm and Finder
  • charliedontsurf

The Knog Scout is an 85 decibel motion detection alarm, coupled to Apple’s “find my” app, which also makes it a tracker. In this product, Knog the Aus …

By charliedontsurf

Get the full story on our front page at:

Knog Scout Bike Alarm and Finder

Support us from less than £0.06/day and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

voodoo-rich

another i-phone only gadget… yawn. and uses charger lead that doesn’t fit iphone 🙂

swanny853

Does it work with multiple users/phones or is it limited to one like the airtag?

mrchrispy

if its an airtag ‘item’ then I suspect it’ll be the single user.

fahzure

It does beg the question as to whether a stealth device (airtag) isn’t a better solution. There’s a 50% chance that the thief does not have an iphone and, if you don’t report it “lost” you can pick up its location whenever someone with an iphone chances by it. Even if you do report it lost, say waiting until 2am when it might ping a sleeping person’s iphone, a stealth device is going to take some time to find and remove. The alarm and size of the Knog will attract immediate attention to removal, probably with vice grips. Still waiting for eMTBs with integrated lighting, alarms/tracking/disabling and USB ports.

desperatebicycle

Looks good to me, I’m seriously ocnsidering one for my son to use on his getting-around bike while at Uni.

Also, do I need to apologise for laughing (I still am) at this line: “Would it have stopped Hannah and Amanda’s snatch?” ? Sorry, if so 😛

kayak23

Horrible thing to think but, I think that every advance in on-bike security leads us ever closer to theft with violence.
    😥

monkeyboyjc

I don’t understand products like this, is supposed to be a deterrent or preventative or aid in retrieval?  – it just draws attention to itself with the alarm and yellow case and could be removed very quickly.

Wouldn’t a hidden airtag and seperate alarm be a better solution??

tthew

I don’t understand products like this, is supposed to be a deterrent or preventative or aid in retrieval?

That’s literally all explained in the article!

– it just draws attention to itself with the alarm and yellow case and could be removed very quickly.

As is an actual photo of the security bolts and special removal tool.

monkeyboyjc

As is an actual photo of the security bolts and special removal tool.

And can be removed very quickly by any tooled up thief. I’ve had frames cut through in the past a couple of bottle bolts won’t take 10seconds to pop off a frame.

That’s literally all explained in the article!

I know – but imo it does none of the above, other than the occasional opportunistic thief this (and similar) products seem pointless. As I said, seperate hidden airtag and keep the hi Vis alarm (as a deterrent/ distraction) would be more sensible.

robfury
    Free Member

I have one for the road bike, mainly for the coffee stops, bike is locked up, but when you are in bluetooth range you know if anyone moves the bike on your phone, can turn the alarm off on the device.

More for piece of mind really.

zerocool

I think until these are either integrated into ebikes or can work while being stashed inside the actual frame then they’ll only really deter the odd Gary who was walking past.

As said in the article, proper organised thieves will just belt the thing with a hammer to kill it or just sling it in the back of a van and Foxtrot Oscar regardless of the noise. I mean these are the kind of people that come tooled you with bolt croppers and power tools if they want to.

Maybe something that’s attached to a thunder-flash or stun grenade might work. But then there’s a legal aspect to that.

Or take a big dog to the shops with you each time and chain ‘Fluffy’ up to the bike.

StuE
    Free Member
    jam-bo

I saw a video online the other day of two lads outside a busy station in broad daylight cutting a lock off a bike with a portable angle grinder. faces uncovered, zero **** given. took them about 60s and gone.

get this if you want, but don’t be under any illusion it’ll stop your bike from getting stolen.

rickmeister

In addition with a Spesh bike, the motor can be turned off/rendered useless with the Mission Control app.

Mark

but don’t be under any illusion it’ll stop your bike from getting stolen.

Surely no one believes that ANY security device will prevent your bike being stolen – no?
    What any device/lock/scheme will do, including this one, is reduce the risk. By how much, is a worthy debate, but suggesting that any security device will do nothing is not really useful – or true.

eyestwice
    Free Member
    eyestwice
    Free Member

For me it’s a useful deterrent if you’re using a Seasucker or similar.

Particularly if you’re stopping at a service station with your bike on the roof.

desperatebicycle

I enjoyed this review of the Android one

“I use it very conveniently, for example when I have to stop at a convenience store for a while.” or at a public convenience? 😆

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.