Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Knocked off
  • jaminb
    Free Member

last night I got knocked off – low speed accident no harm to me other than bruised knee. Arkose needs a new wheel. Driver stopped gave me his details and £100. He had a scratch across the front of his bmw

do I need to report the statistic?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Bet he’s not insured.

samuelr
    Free Member

I think some will say report anything and everything but for me it would depend on the attitude of the driver. Driver being a dick- report. Driver not being a dick- let it go accidents happen, driver will probably be more vigilant in future.

(All of this is if it was the drivers fault)

legend
    Free Member

That £100 will help make sure he doesn’t bother telling his insurer

joebristol

If no lasting injuries and £100 covers the bike damage I’d probably just let it go. Maybe you should get the rest of the bike checked over to make sure no fork / frame damage etc.

This also assuming the driver wasn’t driving like a complete moron etc. Sounds like if they have given you details and some cash to repair the bike that they’ve been decent enough. If no more damage all round than that it saves them putting through insurance and damaging their no claims.

samuelr
    Free Member

If you want to check if he is insured you can put the numberplate into askmid.

jaminb
    Free Member

Checked with DVLA and car is taxed and MOTed.

Not sure on blame I think he was looking at his phone but I was crossing on a raised pedestrian crossing. Car travelling the other way was stopped in the nearest lane to me and offending driver had been stopped for earlier cyclists crossing but set off as I was in front of him (hence phone comment)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If £100 covers the damage I’d leave it at that. And even if you did take it up with his insurers I’m not sure how they’d treat the £100, they might say that should be considered as you accepting the matter settled.

Sounds like he knew he was in the wrong so hopefully will be more careful in future.

crazy-legs

IIRC, once you’ve accepted money, the claim is deemed to be settled so if you later discover that the frame is cracked, you won’t have any recourse to further action.

That said, if it’s a genuine “oops” moment, the driver was contrite, there’s no real damage then yes, I’d just take the money.

I had similar once with a driver who pulled out on me on a roundabout, I swerved to avoid and came off. Didn’t actually hit the car. She stopped, she was absolutely mortified and to be fair I looked worse as I had a cut above my eye where my glasses had dug in so there was a line of blood down my face. Witnesses (including a work colleague as I’d only just left the office) and she immediately accepted full responsibility, offered to pay for everything, gave her details in front of all the witnesses. As it turned out it was just a damaged helmet and her actions were all above board. It was a genuine “didn’t look closely enough” moment and she was so apologetic.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Knocked off’ is closed to new replies.