• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jeb.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Knocked off road bike
  • crazybaboon

I’ve got knocked off my road bike this morning, car clipped my rear wheel and I got high sided off, landing on my head and back. Helmet destroyed and in a lot of pain, followed by a few fun filled hours in A+E strapped to a spinal board with a neck collar on. I’ve been given the all clear but I’m left with a destroyed bike, a 09 Trek Madone with a cracked chain stay, destroyed rear Mavic Ksyrium SL and scruffed durace rear mech, pedals, cranks, shifters etc.
    The car driver apparently admitted responsibility to the police officer whilst I have having a ride with the paramedic, how do I go about claiming against him?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Have you get any personal legal insurance with your car insurance?

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

are you a member of CTC or British Cycling?

alexxx
    Free Member

it goes with his car insurance, so you need his details which the police will likely have – you then need a quote from a bike shop listing the replacment part costs.

up to you if you claim for a full bike or not :):) think about it for a bit 🙂

CTML
    Free Member

Glad to hear you’re okay, shame about the lovely parts. I used these guys when i was knocked of my bike and tried to make a claim:

http://www.cycleaid.co.uk/site/home/

Make sure you have 2 reliable witness who will testify for you as well as a police and medical report.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Glad to hear your ok and that the driver has admitted liability.

midlifecrashes

Good to hear you’re well enough to ask. Hope you heal soon.

As Alex has said, his insurance should come up trumps, otherwise you need to look at your own cover or get your own lawyer. Now is a good time to keep records, ask A&E for copies of notes and xrays etc. Take photos of everything, including all your injuries. Keep records of how much pain you’re in daily for as long as it lasts. Ask police for an incident number so they can supply copies of their stuff once it’s typed up. You’ll be wanting a fresh Madone with all the accessories you had on it, together with a new set of riding clothes, shoes and helmet, all at retail, so ask your LBS to sort you out a quote. Then if you have insurance for this sort of thing get onto them, otherwise a good personal injury lawyer will see you right on no win no fee.

[ambulancechasermode] If you’re local, mrsmidlife does this for a living, or can recommend someone good from the APIL panel for your area if you email me. [/ambulancechasermode]

crazybaboon

I was riding with 2 others, so got witnesses there, but no one indepentant.
    I’m a member of British Cycling, so I’ll see if they can help.
    The police have given me his details including insurance company and policy number.
    I’ve never claimed before, its all new to me!

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

British cycling will help you for free! call them asap!

glad to hear you are ok

alexxx
    Free Member

^ well youve got some great advice above now just make sure you roll with it all asap as the sooner the better, whens the 2010 road stuff out?

Sort a deal with your local shop im sure you can think of a few things you can do 🙂

hopkinsgm

Firstly, glad to hear that you’ve been given the all clear and are well enough to be posting.

Secondly, I’d like to thank the likes of alexxx for making insurance premiums as high as they are. You should never come out of an insurance claim better off than you went in.

G

samuri
    Free Member

I think that’s slightly unfair, Mrs midlifecrisis should shouder some of the blame. 😉

paulosoxo
    Free Member

You should never come out of an insurance claim better off than you went in.

depends if you’re the insurance company or not, believe it or not, they seem to do allright out of the business as a whole

project
    Free Member

Claim for the hire of a replacement bike, and your clothes, helmet , and bike, also compensation for the accident, oh and a big thanks to the motorist for admitting liability, it will sail through a bit quicker now, and probably want need to go to court.

hopkinsgm

I think that’s slightly unfair, Mrs midlifecrisis should shouder some of the blame

Well, that’s another matter entirely. I’m sure there’s good money to be made as a personal injury lawyer.

depends if you’re the insurance company or not

To be fair to the insurance companies (and believe me, I never thought I’d find myself saying that!), they’re not in business out of the goodness of their hearts. They’re a business and as such there’s not much point for them if they don’t make a profit. Ultimately, they’re gambling on whether their policyholder has to make a claim and the cost of settling that claim. If the average cost of claims goes up, then they need to cover that cost. My point was that putting in inflated claims (as alexxx appears to be suggesting) doesn’t just push up the premiums of the numpty who hit the OP, it pushes everyone’s premiums up.

G

jeb

Glad to here your made it!

Just an advice, if in any pain. in neck, head, go and see a chiropracktor, they have made wonders on me, after a nasty crash

Cheers

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Knocked off road bike’ is closed to new replies.