Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Knocked off bike what do I do
  • dazza4eva
    Free Member

whilst cycling home a driver pulled out from a junction and I hit him and went over the bars, luckily i was wearing a helmet and sustained only minor injury’s, however my bike did not fair so well with £2200 pounds of damage, also damaged was phone, helmet and my new omega seamaster watch purchased only 3 weeks before, total damages of £5.5k. I have looked at my household insurance but I have no cover and his insurance now tells me that he is now saying it is not his fault and whistle… I am stuck as to know what to do, help help help!!! I have a witness who says it was his fault.

Edric64
    Free Member

If your witness is independent you are in luck, no win no fee could be the way to go .Run us through the full scenario as he says its not his fault

matt_outandabout

Did you have any (minor) injuries? Go and make report at police station / 101 it.
    CTC membership?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

Cherish your witness – get them to write down their “evidence” ASAP in as much detail as they can.

Explain to insurer (or possibly the driver himself – not sure who you actually pursue) that you’ll be pursuing damages in court if necessary. If the driver stands to lose all the cost personally through a civil claim he may prefer to take the hit on his insurance as a lesser risk

I’d get some photos of your minor injuries as well and be sure that they don’t worsen in the next few days

Muke
    Free Member

Maybe something useful in this LFGSS Accident advice thread

dazza4eva
    Free Member

I was cycling in one direction on single carriageway the driver was coming from the other direction, however he was in a filter waiting to turn right, turning right meant crossing my lane, initially he was waiting but as i approached he pulled out and i plowed into him even though i had braked as hard as i could. i went over the bars landing on me head, splitting my helmet, I was about to call an ambulance when a friend turned up and he took me to the hospital. there are independent witnesses, i dont know how to deal with his insurer as they do not want to engage in a dialog, just say the client denies he is at fault

rickmeister

If you were hit and injured it must be a police issue… look after your witnesses, get them to recap events asap, but definitely notify the police… they can track the driver via the car reg…

Any dialogue at the scene with the driver or was it a hit and run ?

twojumpers

When my wife was knocked off by a taxi we did a no win no fee claim through our home insurance. We did have a police and ambulance report though. We were only after costs for new bike and helmet (£400) but had to do an injury claim too fit the insurance to help.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

As I work for an insurer dealing in PI and liability with an “interest” in cyclist and motorbike claims, what is he/his insurer saying happened?

Does his insurer know about the witness?

Which insurer is it. Ignore any crap advice in the internet from greedy solicitors intent on sticking their snouts in the trough, this is the sort of claim any halfway intelligent claims dept should be dealing with with no issues whatsoever.

If our lot got a call from you, I’d be really disappointed in how it seems to be being handled.

dazza4eva
    Free Member

was not a hit and run, chap stopped and could not apologies enough, saying I cant believe i have done this. after speaking with his mum and dad/ insurance company it has all of sudden changed. hospital attended and police informed. but my contents insurance does not cover me at all

Edric64
    Free Member

Make sure you go to the doctor or hospital ,get your injuries logged

Edric64
    Free Member

oops didnt read your post above mine

dazza4eva
    Free Member

I have been to the hospital, doctors and police and the event is logged I just dont know what to do with regard to making a claim, as the insurer does not want to know.

dazza4eva
    Free Member

Jujuuk68, his insurer says that he client is denying
    being at fault and thats it really

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Same thing happened to me last year.

I went to an independent solicitor and started one of those no win no fee jobbies.

Make sure you have a good case for a claim, they’ll probably advise you and tell you if they have a good chance of a win.

There was loads of paper work in the end and I sacked it off.

I contacted the other parties insurers and told them I had started the “no win no fee” claim process. This kicked them into gear and they just sent me a cheque in the post themselves. Wasnt as much as I would have got if I’d continued with the solicitor, but I just wanted enough to cover my losses so I was happy.

Hope this helps

dazza4eva
    Free Member

cheers david, I hope this pans out the same for me i just my lsses covered not interested in the ambulance chasers. however My loss is quite large

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

That’s all I wanted, although they wanted to know what injuries I had. Apparently I needed a thousand pounds worth of injuries for them to start the process. I had cuts to my hands, legs, a black eye and minor concussion and they said that was good enough!

dazza4eva
    Free Member

I was so lucky just concussion, head ache, neck ache and a bad back, only have a bad back now and doc reckons i should be ok in a few weeks. it just my possessions and bike

dazza4eva
    Free Member

I was so lucky just concussion, head ache, neck ache and a bad back, only have a bad back now and doc reckons i should be ok in a few weeks. it just my possessions and bike

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sounds like worse injuries than I had – should be a goer then.

Hope you get it sorted.

dazza4eva
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, I have opted to go through the small claims Court, right or wrong we shall find out as the weeks proceed. I will shortly be joining the BCF

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Knocked off bike what do I do’ is closed to new replies.