Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 192 total)
  • Knives, multitools and other ‘EDC’ thread
  • Kinda funny watching the Olight sales get smashed – I always wonder why people get so hooked on the deals

I’m on the Olight UK Facebook page and considering leaving it for a second time – the fanbois are crazy. Any new product, money off, ‘free offer’ if you spend hundreds of pounds and they are frothing at the mouth.

They see the Olight company as a ‘family’ and not just clever Chinese marketing. Absolutely bonkers.

Saw someone today had spent £45 on a ‘mystery package’ WTF!

CountZero

so I carry my Oyster “freedom pass” (why don’t they have an app??)

You don’t need an Oyster Card any more, you can just pay with your phone, or at least an iPhone with you bank card set up, you just double-click the side button and pass the phone over the contact. Even easier with the Apple Watch, apparently, or just pass your bank debit card over the contact point. I think my old Oyster might still have some credit on it, I haven’t used it for ages, because carrying an Oyster Card and a debit card together causes issues with the cards registering on the system, and as my bank card worked just as well, the Oyster was redundant.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’m on the Olight UK Facebook page and considering leaving it for a second time

It’s crazy innit, but also, kudos to their marketing dept as it’s a brilliant tactic. Constantly release new colours and materials. I fell down that rabbit hole but realised what I was doing and was able to stop myself. I sold a load (and to be fair, they re-sell quickly if you have a Ltd Edition).

I also left the Aus Facebook group as people were posting pics of their “collections” all in the boxes. 40+ torches, for what?

OK so I made a couple of tiny purchases last week (Baton 3 and Perun 2) to go with my copper S2R II and my copper I3t….. I relapsed. For this very reason I also distanced myself from the EDC Co-Op group as it’s just too full on for me, taking pics of your daily carry?? “Today, this is my folder, my torch, my handkerchief, fidget spinner” etc. Looking at the blades, they’ve not cut a thing with them!

(To be fair, my addictions swing from MTBs to EDC, headphones and hifi and other electrical gadge). I have issues I’m fully aware of!

(PS Warrior 3 looks good eh?) hahah

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

I fell down that rabbit hole but realised what I was doing and was able to stop myself.

So… you’ve seen the light?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Ah, I see what you did there, you make funny!

Yes, I saw the light. Fortunately my wife didn’t see the light(s).

I’m bloody chuffed with the Baton 3 though it’s a lovely wee thing!

twrch
    Free Member

Here’s my keychain EDC:

USB stick has live-boot Linux (Knoppix) and a compressed backup of my stuff.

Just got this wee thing – Black Fox Bean Gen 2 in Zebra Wood

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mEXbK7]IMG_20211029_112833~2[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/85252658@N05/YU4169]IMG_20211029_112844~2[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Perun 2 arrived. Quite a bit bigger than I was expecting. Purdy tho.

null

easily
    Free Member

Does anybody have a Leatherman Bond? Apparently they are UK legal as the blade doesn’t lock.

I’m trying to decide between a Bond and a Skeletool for work.

Perun 2 arrived. Quite a bit bigger than I was expecting. Purdy tho.

I have one in Orange – never used it yet tbh

Does anybody have a Leatherman Bond? Apparently they are UK legal as the blade doesn’t lock.

I’m trying to decide between a Bond and a Skeletool for work.

It really depends what you want it to do. The Bond has more tools, but I’m not a fan of the form factor – open grooves prees into your hand when you use the pliers and it’s a bit flexy. Only really got it for it’s retro looks – maybe a suit carry. If you can manage with the minimalist tools on the Skeletool, that’s the one for work – locking blade though.

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/85252658@N05/kW4v31]2021-09-04_12-04-50[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

That said, a Surge is the real beast you want

Surge inbetween two Charge’s – the Charge’s are my two vanity tools though

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/85252658@N05/7r0Yr4]2021-08-15_05-37-25[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

grum
    Free Member

Am I daft to not really worry about what’s UK legal? I would think the chances of getting searched and not being able to explain why you have a multitool would be pretty tiny, but I guess I live in a rural area.

I take a Skeletool with me pretty much everywhere, and the extender/bit set 🙂

TAFKASTR – I think you might have a problem!

Am I daft to not really worry about what’s UK legal? I would think the chances of getting searched and not being able to explain why you have a multitool would be pretty tiny, but I guess I live in a rural area.

I take a Skeletool with me pretty much everywhere, and the extender/bit set 🙂

I barely give it a second thought, but then I am a tradesman with a van full of pointy sharp things.

Unlikely to get searched, definitely no going to be used in anger, so don’t see the issue

That said, I woudn’t take one to a footy match, or a gig etc

General daily stuff when not at work – casual clothes and going to pub etc, I usually have a SAK penknife in my jeans money pocket

TAFKASTR – I think you might have a problem!

Haha, possibly

easily
    Free Member

The police took away my Skeletool a couple of years ago. I was visiting the science Museum, and it was tucked away in my bag as always. I don’t think the police really cared but a jobsworth fat bloke security guard reported it so they had to do something. Daft of me to take it there of course, but it had sat in my bag without incident for 10 years so I never gave it a thought.
    It was a bit of a one-off as well: it was carbon-fibre but had the combination blade, which you don’t often see.

I like the Surge, but it’s much too heavy for me. I might even go for a Gerber Dime as I want something that is with me pretty much all the time. The thing that I don’t like about the Dime is the bottle opener, which I never use and which sticks out of the main body. Do you reckon I could saw it off?

I stupidly forgot I had an original titanium Charge in my hand luggage at an airport. Gutted

Don’t go down the Gerber route, not a patch on Leatherman

Cougar

my jeans money pocket

Watch pocket.

Watch pocket.

Sorry, haha

My EDC pouch….

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/85252658@N05/3N9g0d]IMG_20211016_092824-01~2[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/85252658@N05/2Uv253]IMG_20211016_092840-01~2[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

easily
    Free Member

You look well set. Mine is full of adapters, dongles, cables, and a spare pair of glasses. The only thing you might be missing is tape, which is just about the most useful thing in the world when things go wrong. I have black electrical tape, but I think duck tape is probably even better. I have some wrapped around a lighter so it doesn’t take up much space.

Is that a Fisher Space Pen I spy in there? I’ve been thinking of getting one of those.

You look well set. Mine is full of adapters, dongles, cables, and a spare pair of glasses. The only thing you might be missing is tape, which is just about the most useful thing in the world when things go wrong. I have black electrical tape, but I think duck tape is probably even better. I have some wrapped around a lighter so it doesn’t take up much space.

Is that a Fisher Space Pen I spy in there? I’ve been thinking of getting one of those.

To be honest, I just put it together for the hell of it.

Most of my stuff is kept in my work truck anyway, which is full of proper tools, tape, cable ties etc

I’ve also got a huge computer bag full of more office based stuff

I got the Fisher because of the hype – for me, it feels pretty cheap and nothing special – much prefer my Bastion Bolt Actions with Parker refills. The Fisher might come into it’s own when I need to write upside down though 😉

Merak

I didn’t know I needed an EDC pouch until I looked at that^😎

CountZero

Don’t go down the Gerber route, not a patch on Leatherman

Really? I’ve been using a Gerber MP800 Legend for years, on my second after the first got lost along with some other gear in a small bag that got left in a car. I was gutted, my mum bought it for me, and it wasn’t cheap.
    One thing in particular I like about it is the saw blade, a Remgrit multipurpose blade, is replaceable with Black&Decker jigsaw blades, so I can cut wood, metal, plastic. I also like the fact that the pliers have replaceable cutting blades, and they’re tungsten carbide, so good for cutting really hard wire.

Really? I’ve been using a Gerber MP800 Legend for years, on my second after the first got lost along with some other gear in a small bag that got left in a car. I was gutted, my mum bought it for me, and it wasn’t cheap.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>One thing in particular I like about it is the saw blade, a Remgrit multipurpose blade, is replaceable with Black&Decker jigsaw blades, so I can cut wood, metal, plastic. I also like the fact that the pliers have replaceable cutting blades, and they’re tungsten carbide, so good for cutting really hard wire</span>

I suppose ‘not a patch on’ was a bit harsh. Gerber make decent enough tools, just Leatherman are better. Lifetime warranty too</span>

The Surge can use third party blades, as can a another model, I think. Most of the upper end LM’s have replaceable cutters too

That MP800 looks pretty decent though

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Lost a LM Juice coming back from SYDNEY to Perth as flying back was carry on only which was both annoying and an oversight on the booking my wife made.

Got a couple of spools of Atwood paracopslypse on way to me. And a desert cam British tarp. Oh and a 1000/6000 whetstone.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Considering adding a sak rally to my Christmas list as a small knife to open parcels, a Phillips and flat screwdriver and a bottle opener would seem to tick 97% of the uses! £13 it’s stocking filler. Is there an alternative to consider? Must have the loop to fit a keyring

p7eaven
    Free Member

Is there an alternative to consider

Something with scissors? Rambler? (Don’t know the price, maybe above yr brief?) you’ll get scissors, the magnetised Philips driver/multitool and a small flat driver/file too.

Found the scissors and file/driver to be the most useful things on a 58mm SAK. The (fairly weedy) blade is a little superfluous when you have scissors on there.

I have a Classic SD Alox, but now wish I’d gone with something with tweezers etc.

May go for a Rambler or Midnite Manager (or even a Midnight Mini-Champ) one day. I have a Swiss Champ and it’s the one thing in the home (other than Mrs P and P-dog) that I’d rescue in event of a crisis/evacuation scenario. 🇨🇭

I didn’t know I needed an EDC pouch until I looked at that

+1 Actually saw one first on youtube a few weeks ago, and was already sick of looking at my desk and/or rooting around for hours trying to find tools, bits and bobs, sharpener and shite. Got a £12 Decathlon (Solognac) medium organiser through the post last week. It has been just the job. Not military-grade, but I just chuck it in a draw or rucksack anyway

squirrelking
    Free Member

Parker refills

🤨

You spelled Fisher wrong.

sc-xc

Hi experts, what would you recommend for a 21 year old lad who works in FM and also does a lot of backstage tech at theatres etc? He has a ‘big’ Leatherman but I’d like to get him something near and cool for his key ring – about £50…. anything out there?

joshvegas
    Free Member

A Swiss army knife rambler its pretty useful.

It’s tiny and will strip wires* and the Philips screwdriver will open all things electrical such as battery covers and stuff. All on a keychain.

Totally legal to so can stay on there. From your description it would never replace a bigger more useful tool but it would always be there.

*Really quite well.

p7eaven
    Free Member

something near and cool for his key ring – about £50…. anything out there?

+Rambler is a good shout, possibly better still Victorinox have the Midnite Manager on offer at the moment:

https://www.swisstool.co.uk/st/midnite-manager-swiss-army-knife.html

Same as the Rambler yet with LED torch and a pressurised pen, ie:

LED Light
    Thin Blade
    Magnetic Philips Screwdriver
    Wire Stripper
    Bottle Opener
    Ballpoint Pen
    Scissors
    Nail File
    Nail Cleaner
    Keyring

duncancallum

Lost my favourite pen knife.

A 1995 victorinox soldier.

Just googled them

joshvegas
    Free Member

As an aside I have always loved the optimism of describing “keyring” as function.

It’s either so bloody small you need to attach it to something or so bloody big you don’t want to.

duncancallum

Lost my favourite pen knife.

A 1995 victorinox soldier.

Just googled them how much!

p7eaven
    Free Member

It’s either so bloody small you need to attach it to something or so bloody big you don’t want to.

I’d mostly agree. But there is the 74mm ‘Ambassador’ SAK, which rarely gets a mention. I’m eyeing one to replace an Alox SD which, beautiful though it is, always seemed at the ‘jewellery’ end of the scale if being hyper-critical.

I’m certain there would be seller’s regrets the very hour after I moved it on tho.

I seem to have developed SAK fetish. Have a Swiss Champ but also want a SwissTool

Recent years I lost a Camper that I’d had for decades and feels like a limb gone.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Without going all “considerably niche-er than yow” I much prefer Swiza to Victorinox when it comes to SAKs.

CountZero

Gerber make decent enough tools, just Leatherman are better.

That’s your opinion. I beg to differ, because my Gerber does everything I need a multitool to do, and, until recently, I hadn’t seen a Leatherman with replaceable cutting blades on the pliers, and having mutilated the cutting edges of a couple of pairs of hard-wire cutters trying to cut through wire security tags, which my Gerber chopped through effortlessly, without any sign of damage, I would be really annoyed if I wrecked the cutters on a Leatherman. Even if the edges had suffered damage, they’re easily turned around for a new cutting edge. Leatherman cutters can’t do that, the whole ‘blade’ has to be replaced. Also, the fact I can easily swap saw blades for different materials is pretty much unique to the MT900.

I’ve looked at plenty of Leatherman tools, but I’ve yet to see one that I’d be interested in buying.

p7eaven
    Free Member

I much prefer Swiza to…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Some of the LM do have replaceable wire cutters now.

TBH it’s the LM warranty that appeals to me. I sent back a Charge Ti as I broke the main blade. They asked if it wad sentimental and needing to be fixed or could they swap out with a new one. The replaced a Ti with a TTi. Can’t grumble at that.

Waiting on a drunk purchase (Supreme branded Squirt PS4) which will pair very nicely with my red Baton 3.

neilnevill
    Free Member

After deciding i wanted a small sak to put on my house key ring and have to hand for opening parcels etc I thought the rally, with its bottle opener and screwdrivers, was the one. However reviews say the bottle opener is useless and it gave me doubts. I’ve been looking at the Gerber vise and dime, but lots of reviews just say too small to be any use. So I’m back to sak. I considered going small and concentrating on just a blade but…nah. I’ve been weighing the hiker against the small tinker. Tinker it is I think. 8.8% off victorinox at topcashback, seems very tempting.

jkomo

I just got the Shard for this reason. Key ring box opening. Handy screwdriver thing. Mini pry bar and bottle opener.
    Edit, been obsessing over this thread for ages, I’m not a knife guy, but I love tools and handy shit.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

jkomo It can get addictive, and expensive. When you’re justifying to yourself a $500 pocket knife then that’s getting to “problem” stage for me. Also the wife becomes acutely aware of another trinket arriving.

“Another flashlight / bag / knife / tool?????”

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 192 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.