Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 209 total)
  • Knives, multi tools, EDC?
  • tjagain

Those actually concerned with the law over what tools can or cannot be carried legally, are probably the least likely demographic to actually be stopped and searched…

My mother has had 3x 5″ opinal locking knives taken off her in airports. She was in her early 70s at the time.

ElShalimo

My friends brother had his nail scissors taken off him by security at Paris Charles de Gaulle about 10 years ago.

He was the pilot. Rules are rules.

ayjaydoubleyou

My friends brother had his nail scissors taken off him by security at Paris Charles de Gaulle about 10 years ago.

He was the pilot. Rules are rules.

Quite right too. What if he decided to try to hijack the plane and crash it?

Merak

Or worse still deliver a manicure to the flight crew.

mmcd

Quite fancy a James Brand Ellis but I’m sure there are equally good options for less than half the price. Also looking for suggestions for rechargeable torch for day to day use, preferably USB c charging.

This is my keyring carry, Leatherman Style CS – bottle opener, little blade (non locking), file, tweezers and scissors – I like having scissors

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2irdgs7]2020-02-09_08-35-29[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

Merak

@mmcd

Thanks for that,. I want one of them now.

Olight are the torch of choice for the serious EDC boys dontcha know….

£150 torch

CountZero

WTF do you lot do that warrants carrying all that crap “every day”?

I carry a whole load of stuff in a belt pouch, including my Gerber Legend, but the only knife I have at work, apart from the one on the Gerber, is the Spyderco, which is tiny, less than two inches long folded, and it hangs around my neck on a lanyard along with a Sharpie and a security dongle for some internal doors, and a small flashlight.
    We use zip-ties to secure pairs of keys together on arrival, but there are occasions where keys have to be separated usually when it’s a VW, and scissors are useless, as is anything other than a pair of wire cutters.
    A lot of what I carry at work isn’t necessary, but it saves lots of hassle – I carry small envelopes and card tags, if a car has an SD card for its satnav the card has to be removed and noted and put into a secure box in our arrivals cabin, but that can be a couple of minutes walk away when we’re busy, like we are now, so I carry a bunch with me, along with spare blades for my window scraper, which we use for taking ink marker off car windscreens, I have a tyre depth and a pressure gauge for obvious reasons, pens, notepads…
    I walk up to six miles a day, around a big site, part of which is a quarter of a mile away, and I need to have stuff with me to do my job wherever I am.
    Outside of work, I sometimes carry my Gerber, my keys, wallet, phone and the little Pilar, and a pen of some sort.
    Oh, and a small flashlight that takes a 3.7v 14500 Li-ion battery.

They might be, but bugger paying £150 for one! The torch I use is one that cost about thirty quid.
    Or I use an Alpkit headtorch that cost about £15.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve got a multi screw driver thing in the car I can open boxes with it, I’d give myself 15 mins with a knife before I cut myself I can’t stop fiddling with stuff. I stabbed myself enough times with staple removers.

burko73

I think the uk knife laws are daft. Plenty of people killed by things that are legal to carry around and those intent on doing someone in or threatening are not likely to care if something’s illegal anyway.

The idea of a locking blade on a leatherman being illegal in the hands of a middle aged cyclist is nuts.

If you can get a licence for a shotgun from the police and be checked out as responsible enough for that then why not a knife?

The idea that a lock knife that was fine to carry about in the countryside for any number of useful tasks is now something that will get you a criminal record is nuts.

Perhaps there should be an age limit, ban if you have a record already or something more realistic.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

£150 torch

3200lm?? 🤪 £150? 🤪

And I bet it’s a spotlight?

For daily use (ie non-rescue/emergency) I’d recommend a bike-torch/front light with cutoff/wide-angle beam and warm/neutral emitter. Much more pleasant to use and bonus dual-purpose urban front bike-light/handheld torch. Also can be used easily without dazzling other people.

Fenix BC21R?
    Ravemen CR700?

Recently bought a Ravemen PR900 just for the bike and it’s really, really nice to use taking the dog out. What a difference. Illuminates the whole garden with an even wide flood. Doesn’t strain the eyes. 21hrs on low. I’m sold.

And the optional ‘emergency’ mode button activates a second emitter with a spot beam. Basically designed like a motorcycle headlight with both dip and main beams.

madmechanist
    Free Member

For me a 2018 leatherman wave plus and free t4 plus a bit extender and bit set,Gerber shared fisherspace pen,and olight baton pro..

To note I have never been checked in 9 years of carrying a multitool and so am not concerned about locking blades..

But am always being asked to fix stuff and now dont go out without the wave plus atleast..plus if your riding the cable cutters are a reasonable excuse(I know a copper and checked and that would be considered a good reason)..so as I ride everywhere.. no problem..

Plus for all that do carry ..and want a sheath that’s more practical and leather, check out tale of knives gear..handmade luxury leather that can take a beating super low profile belt carry options..

willard

I use the Gerber multitool I got issued with in my bike kit, along with some cable ties, CO2 pump, inner tube and Gorilla Tape as my “EDC”. Except for weekends, then I don’t bother unless I am going for a long ride.

I really don’t have a good reason to carry another blade or tool on me normally, DIY does not count and then I go for a Mora chisel knife or Robust depending on what’s first from the toolbox.

kiwijohn

Well, there’s an interesting new hobby.
    sss

zilog6128

Well, there’s an interesting new hobby.

for primary-school aged girls

kiwijohn

They’re probably not allowed to play with knives.

zilog6128

you call that a knife?

kiwijohn

Handy for picking my teeth.

zilog6128

Anyways, I assumed you meant those beautiful braids in the lovely bright rope 💕

maccruiskeen

I assumed you meant those beautiful braids

I’ve failed to grasp what the little friendship bracelet things are for.

kiwijohn

Exactly

willard

Makes the camouflaged knives easier to see when you drop them.

or something.

richmtb

My go to EDC is one of these.

null

Its may seem a bit much, but my job as a homeless drifter / misunderstood Decorated Vietnam War veteran with PTSD often means covering big distances, improvising shelters and booby traps across mixed woodland terrain, self-administered field wound dressings and, dealing out righteous retribution to over zealous law enforcement.

Remember, don’t push it or I’ll give you a war you won’t believe

zilog6128

Its may seem a bit much, but my job as a homeless drifter / misunderstood Decorated Vietnam War veteran with PTSD often means covering big distances, improvising shelters and booby traps across mixed woodland terrain, self-administered field wound dressings and, dealing out righteous retribution to over zealous law enforcement.

tbh that sounds like the plot of a Hollywood movie; I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt though and assume you’re being serious – it wouldn’t be kind to mock STW’s Walt community in such a way.

Cougar

I’ve just read the court report on the previous page.

Interesting that they focus on an automatic locking mechanism. I always assumed that my Opinel would be illegal to carry as it has a locking mechanism, but it’s a manual lock (you twist a collar under the base of the blade) which would probably require two hands to operate. If you don’t lock it, it can be folded away without needing to activate a mechanism to do so. Would that then constitute a “folding pocketknife” under the legislation? Or is that something yet to be tried in court?

(The blade’s probably too long to be legal anyway, but there are smaller Opinels.)

Cougar

tbh that sounds like the plot of a Hollywood movie

What gave it away, was it the name of the film etched into the blade?

Cougar

As for the kayak comment on the previous page,

I’d like to hope that your average copper would apply some context / common sense. If you’ve got a knife in one hand and a kayak in the other it’s probably a little more plausible than if you were walking round ASDA waving it about. The first guy in the court report argued that it was for gardening whilst suited and booted on his way out to the pub, hardly surprising that he got his collar felt.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The first guy in the court report argued that it was for gardening whilst suited and booted on his way out to the pub,

“We was goin’ to the beer garden, yer ‘onner”

“Well played young man….Case dismissed!”

Greybeard
    Free Member

If you don’t lock it, it can be folded away without needing to activate a mechanism to do so. Would that then constitute a “folding pocketknife” under the legislation?

I think the fact that it can be locked would be sufficient to mean it wasn’t a folding pocket knife.

I’d like to hope that your average copper would apply some context / common sense.

I’d like to hope that as well. But when the consequences of a conviction would be losing your career, the possibility that you might meet a below (or above) average copper is a worry. Particularly noting what scapegoat said;

Home office guidance was to charge for all knife possession

it might not be something the copper feels they have discretion about.
    Part of the problem is that you don’t always have your kayak with you; you often end up waiting in a car park while your mates drive a vehicle to the take out point, or fetch one back from the start, so maybe you have to remember to put your knife in the kayak – but then you risk forgetting to put it back in an accessible place when you get on the river again. Disagreements over right of navigation v fishing rights do arise, and it’s not unknown for the local constable to be on the anglers side, so the potential for encountering police is not zero.

For daily use (ie non-rescue/emergency) I’d recommend a bike-torch/front light with cutoff/wide-angle beam and warm/neutral emitter. Much more pleasant to use and bonus dual-purpose urban front bike-light/handheld torch. Also can be used easily without dazzling other people.

Not sure I’d spend £150 on a torch either 🙄 to be honest, most folk that have olights, seem to have the smaller pencil type

I’ve got numerous bike lights, but have these two cheapies from Go Outdoors. Adjustable beams, the one on the left is usb charged, the right takes AAA’s. I’ve got an led lenser for my work hard hat

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2irGgT6]2020-02-10_09-41-41[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

madmechanist
    Free Member

<Olight are the torch of choice for the serious EDC boys dontcha know….

£150 torch>

To note they are not all that amount ..but having 2000 lumens can be incredibly useful plus they use custom orstandard 18650 batteries …so not a bad investment long term..

Battery wears out..replace it..in the field without charger ..install spare(typically £5-10)..charges off any 1 amp usb..easy..so I use it at home work when doing anything where lights very helpful with the £89 price tag if you ask me..NOT £150..and it’s going to do years if service with a few new batteries..

kerbdog
    Free Member

I usually have a little spyderco squeak with me, it gets used for lots of things, opening boxes, cutting tags or packets open etc. The blade length is such that noone has a hissy fit if they see it.

cookeaa

They’re tools not weapons

Context is everything, I’ve got one of these:

It’s one of the most useful everyday tools I’ve got, but it seldom leaves the house as I know it’s locking blades would get me in trouble with the rozzers…

EDC is an Americanism and seems to come from the world of Gun nuts and survivalists, fair enough if people who like to take carefully arranged photo’s of their expensive knife with wood shavings casually scattered about want to adopt it I suppose, but it does make you seem like a bit of a plum…

Personally I’m not so keen on the fetishisation of Leatherman’ I know one fella who has a Ti one ‘for best’ and then a stainless one that he actually uses… Weird.

TBH a Cheap and cheerful multi-tool that you don’t mind blunting/getting dirty/losing makes more sense… I think my current one was acquired free from a tradeshow.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR

Subscriber
    Olight are the torch of choice for the serious EDC boys dontcha know…

I’ve got the Seeker 2 Pro. Bought in the flash (lol) sale when they launched. Great bit of kit. Plus the L dock mag charger. Battery lasts forever too. Turbo mode is fire-startingly hot….Strobe is fun. Just wish the moonlight mode was a little more…. Moonlighty. But it’s solid bit of kit, but paint chips off easily.

(S2Pro has a 5000mAh 21700 battery)

Personally I’m not so keen on the fetishisation of Leatherman’ I know one fella who has a Ti one ‘for best’ and then a stainless one that he actually uses… Weird

Personally I find having a nice SAK and not daring leave the house with it a bit weirder 😂

FuzzyWuzzy

I have a Spyderco Bug on my key-ring, I don’t use it daily but comes in handy a couple of times a month (mostly opening boxes at work)

Spyderco Bug

Merak

Re torches. Im using one of these 180 lumen not too shabby.

I’m old enough to remember these which makes the above all the more impressive.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 209 total)

The topic ‘Knives, multi tools, EDC?’ is closed to new replies.