Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Knipex Vs mole grips and hex keys – let’s talk tools
  • bikerevivesheffield

Vs

Traditional mole grips in the workshop?

Which did you and why?

Hex keys or hex heads on a ratchet – which is best for you and why?

molgrips
    Free Member

Hi!

Tracey

I have both the Knipex and a couple of different mole grips. The long nosed ones are the ones that work best for me in small spaces.
    On the hex keys I only tend to use the Wera hex plus. They don’t cost an arm and a leg and have never failed. I have a set in the tool bag which doubles up with everything for races. A set in the camper and one of the shorter sets in the van, bought our daughter a set for Christmas and they should last her a lifetime. I also have a 6mm and 8mm in the pedals box for ease of finding. The 8mm has the rubber cut down so it will go through the crank hole.
    There are quite a lot of tools that aren’t a necessity but make the job easier and quicker.

submarined
    Free Member

I can’t think of a single time I’ve ever used moleys when it’s not a last resort. The Knipex should be the same.

My buddy refers to them as the idiot spanner.

Park folding hex and Torx sets are my go to.

trail_rat
    Free Member

As I always say. Multifit spanner /those knipex have no place in a workshop.

They are good in a pack / pocket where a range of correct spanners would be weighty and take up alot of space.

Adjustable spanners pli-spanners and molgrips are last resort in a workshop situation.

So the correct spanner would be my choice

Molgrips /pli spanners are fairly different tools as well. Ply spanners are pretty pants on round things.

stevextc
    Free Member

I’ve got hex keys and bits. The bits fit in the torque wrench and mini ratchet and 4,5,6 and (T25) are all Wera.

Mole grips I’ve got some needle nosed and then 2 big ones and 2 smaller ones. Large ones hold a brake hose block easily to tap in the barb (or can even grip a shaft clamp).

Also quite useful for random clamping, cables etc when you don’t want to pull it out.

jamj1974

I can’t think of a single time I’ve ever used moleys when it’s not a last resort.

I have a set of mole grips for exactly those times. Was looking at at a set of Knipex the other day, for more options in those situations.

Hex and Torx wrenches – another vote for Wera. I also love ratchet spanners too and the Halfords Professional ones have worked well for me – as have their sockets.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Different tools for different jobs.

The Knipex are a better adjustable spanner. There’s a time and a place for them, but not as often as you think. Molgrips are the “it’s already ****ed, doesn’t matter if I **** it some more” option.

L-Allen keys, T shaped ones, socket bits all have a use. I’ve a miniature Wera ratchet that takes 1/4” hex bits that’s great for getting awkwardly located bottle boss or saddle clamp bolts done up quickly. You’ll probably need a set of 1/4” square bits if you plan to use a torque wrench much.

submarined
    Free Member

I have a set of mole grips for exactly those times. Was looking at at a set of Knipex the other day, for more options in those situations.

Yeah sorry, totally agree. My meaning was that I don’t think they should be an ‘alternative’ to Knipex jobbies.

The moleys to me are a ‘keep at home in a the emergency drawer with the Irwin bolt extractors’ tool, and the Knipex are, as above, a ‘take a set when I can’t fit all the right size spanners in’

I know people seem to love the Knipex on here, but I have to be honest, I’m struggling to think of what they could be used for on any vaguely modern bike – pretty much all cap heads, and if they round off, then it’s time for moleys/gator grips.

Now what I really need is a set of nice T handles that aren’t daft money.
    Because usually a folding Allen set is not the right tool!

benp1

Rarely use my molgrips

Knipex plier wrench rarely used on the bike, really handy for general stuff. Have a medium size one and the baby one too. Best use on a bike is straightening a dodgy disc

bikerevivesheffield

The molegrips Vs knipex q is when proper tools are exhausted, to grip stumps of bolt etc

Tracey

Molgrips then.

crikey
    Free Member

Molgrips and Knipex = tools for cack handed spanner monkeys.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The Knipex are a better adjustable spanner.

I’ve seen a pair of pliers used instead of a spanner once, in 28 years of Engineering.

The guy was thicker than a whale omelette.

survivor

A 150mm knipex has earned its place in my front pocket of my work apron.

Used for all sorts of jobs on the cheap or older bikes our shop works on.

I’m thinking those who are knocking them maybe don’t have a set? They really don’t slip or damage anything if used correctly. They’ve never let me down and are always at hand.
    I’ve got a drawer of spanners which see just as much use though.

I’m moving to a shop where I’ll mainly be working on newer stuff and I think the knipex will be gathering dust there. Never use them on my bikes.

Never used molegrips on a bike

Hex keys all day long but the little rachet comes in handy for hard to access stuff.

Northwind

The knipex pliary things are ace, but I don’t find they do quite the same job as moleys, I have both and use both.

For a bike, and for some reason for a 3d printer and for remote control cars, hex keys. For bigger stuff, again, both. Not a better or worse thing but I think if I had to, I’d have just the keys.

sirromj

I learnt the other day about Molgrips. He’s not a tool 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips are good for holding things that you don’t want to hold in your fingers, like they are being heated or cut or something. They are rubbish at holding things you want to turn like rounded bolts etc, I don’t think I’ve ever successfully done this except when I’m able to hammer the offending bolt to say 45 degrees – then they work. A set of stud extractors or similar is a great investment otherwise though.

Northwind

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips are good for holding things that you don’t want to hold in your fingers, like they are being heated or cut or something. They are rubbish at holding things you want to turn like rounded bolts etc, I don’t think I’ve ever successfully done this except when I’m able to hammer the offending bolt to say 45 degrees –

I think maybe you need better molgrips (yes yes, it is very amusing). And also to turn them up a bit! For best results you want to barely be able to close the grips.

They’re not a one-tool-fixes-all thing but then, nothing is, with stuck bolts. But they’re a useful part of the “throw the kitchen sink at it” kit.

batfink
    Free Member

The guy was thicker than a whale omelette.

Ha! I will be stealing that

I can see that they are not a replacement for a set of spanners, but I have a pair of the knipex grips in my general household toolkit – they get used all the time for little random jobs, along with my Wera “toolcheck” kit

hols2
    Free Member

Different tools for different jobs.

This. You need a variety of tools for different purposes.

T-handle hex keys are very versatile for most bike work. Plus, of course, a mini-tool in your backpack. A set of standard hex keys is useful to have, they often fit in tight places the T-handle ones don’t. Plus, hex heads, a powerbar, extension drive with u-joint, and torque wrench are pretty handy of you do a lot of work on bikes. So that makes two to four different hex tools for different purposes. Same goes with spanners, pliers, etc. You need a variety.

5lab

Has anyone tried the park sliding t handle hex keys? They look rather nice but are a bit spendy

footflaps

I find molgrips great for plumbing, they’re ideal for holding inline valve bodies whilst you use a spanner to crank up the nut on the end.

They’re also handy for removing tubeless tyres…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jGMTy5]Mother of god tight tyres[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

jamj1974

I find molgrips great for plumbing, they’re ideal for holding inline valve bodies whilst you use a spanner to crank up the nut on the end.

I have used an adjustable spanner to do exactly that!

For me, I have never needed to use molegrips on a bike, although I do agree with a poster above, Knipex used properly are not destructive.

timbo46
    Free Member

">
    +1 for Batfink’s Wera toolcheck, + more Wera loveliness
    Can’t post pics 🙁
    Can post pics:)

stevextc
    Free Member

The molegrips Vs knipex q is when proper tools are exhausted, to grip stumps of bolt etc

Molegrips can be clamped on (and if there is room you can clamp 2 on for example a shaft)… even if you use a knee or something to stop them moving it frees up a hand.

richmtb

Knipex pliers and molegrips aren’t really comparable.

There are plenty of little jobs the Knipex pliers are great for. They don’t slip or mark like cheap adjustable spanners, you need to pretty hamfisted to damage something with them.

I’ve used them for holding bladed spokes and undoing bleed nipples anything where you don’t need masses of torque and the smooth jaws won’t mark the work. Handy round the house too.

If you are loosening stuff with molegrips then its probably already trashed anyway. The only bike job I’ve ever used them for is clamping the yellow blocks you get with Shimano brakes when you are tapping in a barb. Ideally you would use a vice but that’s not really practical if the hose has been threaded through the frame.

andybrad

Ive been fancying some of those knippex pliers for a while. but they are just that, pliers. they will mark a surface that a spanner wont so why would you use them?

as for t handles. Again im unsure of why? they restrict movement. look nice though.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think maybe you need better molgrips

Fair point, I haven’t had a nice expensive pair. But the issue with bolts and studs is usually gouging of the metal which causes it to slip. I’m sceptical that anything that could be turned by molgrips cannot be turned better by something else.

For suspension forks and the like, I make shaft grips out of blocks of hard wood by drilling a hole then sawing through the hole. Works quite well.

hols2
    Free Member

as for t handles. Again im unsure of why?

Speed.

warpcow
    Free Member

Ive been fancying some of those knippex pliers for a while. but they are just that, pliers. they will mark a surface that a spanner wont so why would you use them?

As someone said above, they’re good enough that you’d have to be pretty incompetent to damage or mark anything if using them properly. Also as above, they’re really handy to have for general stuff but don’t think I’ve ever used them on a bike.

stevextc
    Free Member

For suspension forks and the like, I make shaft grips out of blocks of hard wood by drilling a hole then sawing through the hole. Works quite well.

Yep I do that but I’ve still stuck a stubborn airshaft in the vice and then added another wooden block to use molegrips as well.

wzzzz
    Free Member

You need all of the above tools.

You might not need them often but when you need them, you need them.

jamesoz

See, to me knipex make some nice Side cutters and other assorted tools. Without the pic in the post I’d genuinely have no clue what was being referred to.

For undoing stuff in a satisfyingly barbaric way my 24″ Facom pipe wrench (or stilsons) works well.

richmtb

This thread has reminded me not to forget to order this year’s Wera advent calendar though

bikerevivesheffield

So wera hex keys ftw?

epicyclo

andybrad

The Knippex pliers are the least likely to mar the surface of your nuts. I’ve not damaged a nut or bolt head yet.

I carry a set on my old British bikes instead of carrying half a ton of fixed spanners for every contingency.

Rubber_Buccaneer

or stilsons

I wasn’t going to mention my favourites, various sizes of stilsons and some water pump pliers😀 Neither used on a bicycle…….yet

johnnymarone
    Free Member

Where you can get a spanner on it, do that.Its the best way. Stilsons are handy for stubborn things that are probably going in the bin when they eventually come off. They can really chew up a nut / fitting/ pin, etc. Usually only any good on soft things, hardened things will bugger up the teeth.
    I use my old, British made molegrips (actually made by Mole) all the time, my favourite tool for grabbing awkward ,snapped, hot, sharp , or irregularly shaped things. The jaws on mine form a triangle so they force the gripped object towards the jaw rivets, where the grip is strongest. The grip is awesome.
    Bondhus allen keys are great, but the best ones I ever had were some super Gucci Wiha ones that were ordered in error in work. They were shockingly expensive but they are the bollocks, cant take your eyes off them in the workshop, everyone wants them.

johnnymarone
    Free Member

https://www.wihatools.com/hex-tools/magicringr-ball-end-hex-l-key-metric-9pc-set

These shiny bad boys. The strength is very surprising.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Knipex Vs mole grips and hex keys – let’s talk tools’ is closed to new replies.