• This topic has 30 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by jeffl.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Knifetrackworld: UK Legal EDCs. Boker any good?
  • Yak

Now i’m a cub leader and attending camps, I thought I will treat myself to a new knife. I have a Victorinox – the fishing one and have broken the reamer leaving a sharp edge that won’t fold way. Also have a Wenger that has been resigned to the bike toolbox for odd bits n pieces. The handle is cracked with bits missing. Anyway all these are 30years old so it’s time for a new one. Spotted the Boker tech range. They look spot on for a sub-£50 edc with a few basic tools. Are they any good or should I go back to something from victorinox, albeit they seem a bit fragile? Or anything else?

bodgy

You won’t thank me for this but . . .

https://www.heinnie.com

Nico
    Free Member

https://www.edcweek.com/

bigyan
    Free Member

Depends what you are using it for, personally Spyderco UKPK for single handed opening UK legal carry. Byrd Tern is a cheaper alternative, if you grind out the thumb hole its much better.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

For camping with cubs, I’d suggest an Opinel on the grounds of simplicity, sharpness and minimal outlay in case of loss.  Edit:  Mora if you want fixed rather than folding.

For a treat for yourself there’s a whole set of options, legalities covered by the first and last bullet points below.

“Examples of good reasons to carry a knife or weapon in public can include:

• taking knives you use at work to and from work
    • taking it to a gallery or museum to be exhibited
    • if it’ll be used for theatre, film, television, historical reenactment or religious purposes, for example the kirpan some Sikhs carry
    • if it’ll be used in a demonstration or to teach someone how to use it”

Some nice “bushcraft” knives about, but don’t quite meet what I think you meant in the OP. That’s more scout level in my view.

Yak

I’ll have a look at those. It would be for general camp duties – whittling, cutting cord, other small materials, making firesticks etc. I hadn’t considered single blade tools as bottle openers etc are always useful. It looks like the 2 you mentioned are going to be safer in use though.

Yeah- I had seen the heinnie shop – like a black hole of all that stuff….dangerous 😉

Cougar

I’d suggest an Opinel

Great knives but not legal to carry, it’s a locking knife.

Yak

I had thought about opinel too. Had those before, but they aren’t legal carry anymore are they? A campsite is going to straddle the line between a public and private I would have thought.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

yes, I suppose technically illegal unless you ‘have good reason’ – which I think OP does – IANAL etc.

You think heinnie’s bad, try here: https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/

jimjam
    Free Member

YAK

I had thought about opinel too. Had those before, but they aren’t legal carry anymore are they?

The standard Opinel – no. They do sell UK legal / non locking versions but the detent isn’t strong enough for whittling for example – ie, the blade can close as you stop at the end of your cutting stroke. Personally I take my chances and carry a locking knife most of the time. I do have a couple of non locking knives too but I wouldn’t want to do much more than light cutting with them such as opening packages and boxes etc.

For another rabbit hole of knife options check out Aliexpress.com . You’ll be able to buy a titanium handle and d2 steel blade for your budget and an almost limitless variety of sizes and styles. I have a couple and they are better than most of the stuff you find in camping stores for half the price.

Yak

Hmmmm, there is clear danger of a n+1 can of worms getting opened here. I suppose the old battered SAKs I have will still do for beer/wine (not at cubs!) opening etc and then I only need a reasonable EDC – eg like Byrd Tern^. But I had originally thought the Boker Tech would do it all with the bigger blade than other SAKs.

matt_outandabout

We use Mora Field knives of various kinds at work, doing outdoor learning / forest school type stuff.

Great edge, ridgid, comfy, not slippy – way better than many ‘tactical’ and cool knives.

We carry a few of them into schools and nurseries regularly. I do not carry around openly unless in woods, and they live in a ‘danger box’ or ‘danger bag’ when not in use. We also use the bright coloured ones, so it is easier to see them when a few are out…

benp1

I have a fairly extensive knife collection but the ones that I take to bring with me on a family trip are swiss army knives. They’re useful but also instantly recognisable so no one looks at them in horror. I also have one (and a swiss business tool) in my pen organiser thing which I use in a big open plan office, people rarely bat an eyelid

CountZero

The Spyderco UK Legal Penknife is probably the best compromise, when open it ‘locks’ in place very firmly, with a very strong detent at 90 degrees, so there’s less risk of a blade closure across the fingers. The Squeak is similar but with a very short blade, a very handy little knife, but the short blade may compromise its usability for what the OP needs. Spyderco also do a neat little knife called the Pingo, Danish designed to comply with Danish knife law which is stricter than the UK, it requires any knife carried to not only be non-locking but to require two-handed opening. Most sellers seem to no longer stock it, but I’ve found a site that still lists it:

https://www.euro-knife.com/spyderco/spyderco-pingo-sc163por/

I’ve got one, a limited edition made for the edgematters knife forum, it has blue scales, and the blade is K390 tool steel, instead of stainless, lovely little knife, and a useful all-round pocket knife.

stevextc
    Free Member

I had thought about opinel too. Had those before, but they aren’t legal carry anymore are they? A campsite is going to straddle the line between a public and private I would have thought.

Without invoking the exceptions nothing remotely safe to whittle is legal… and the thought of kids being around non locking knives is just plain scary.

Jnr goes on a school woodcraft job where they use butter knives … (seriously)

At home in the back garden he uses one of these.

https://www.diy.com/departments/jcb-folding-combo-utility-knife/594865_BQ.prd

It’s actually very useful around the house… the serrated bit is good for stripping electrical insulation and punching and cutting through plaster board.  The Ti stanley blades … great for cutting neat tape, inner tubes, cable ties..

Amazingly you have to turn up in person to one of about 5 B&Q’s to buy this (Farnborough was one) but you can buy a 9″ plasterboard knife mail order….

However purely for whittling I’d try for the Opinel… if you can get away with that as “work” type use and just get a key fob type bottle opener.

CountZero

These people do a good range of knives, but no Pingo, sadly:

https://www.mindyourfingers.co.uk

Kelliesheros
    Free Member

The OP wants a SAK replacement, everyone is recomending single blade pocket knives.

I had a Boker Tech Tool, recently lost it (gutted), my response is that i would rate it above many victorinox knives, better steel, held an edge well and the tool selection is good. The pocket clip and glass breaker on all of them are nice additions you do not normally find on a SAK.

Swiza do a SAK style knife which looks good, however you need to make sure that you get the UK legal version.

If i was going to get a victorinox, i would get an alox pioneer x.

stevextc
    Free Member

The OP wants a SAK replacement, everyone is recomending single blade pocket knives.

Purely practical reasons …  if its to take to cubs and whittle and be locked/packed securely away inbetween.

Better to have a key fob type bottle opener and/or knife less SAK… perhaps?

The Glass breaker is useless when its locked in a safe in the boot… (just stating the obvious) and anything UK legal is intrinsically unsafe to whittle with kids.

Ive got a whole load of SAK’s (and a few other knives) that never leave the house…. even when UK legal its barely worth the potential bother the UK is just so paranoid.  The main exception being the tiny 1.5″ mini.

When I lived in France I used to take a Laguiole to a resto and none would blink… when I lived in Norway half the people carried knives at work… usually a SAK but Fridays was often a big deer skinning knife… (especially one of the blokes worked for me… on Friday afternoon he’d also be counting out live cartridges on his work desk)

qwerty
    Free Member

Yak

I am erring towards a single blade edc and maybe use one of my battered SAKs for their tools. I was hoping that there would be (30ys since my last knife purchase) one SAK knife to rule them all for camp duty including whittling, but that appears to be moon on a stick territory if I am to stick to UK legal carry.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

jimjam
    Free Member

kellies heroes

yak

I am erring towards a single blade edc and maybe use one of my battered SAKs for their tools.

If it’s a multi tool or SAK replacement I would strongly recommend the Gerber Crucial. I’ve given mine dogs abuse for 10ish years, still going strong. Everything on it actually works, unlike a Swiss Army Knife and the pliers are excellent. Folded it’s no different in size wise to most SAK designs. The blade has a liner lock, so safe for cutting but not legal. The Schrade Tough Tool is similar and UK legal but I don’t own one so cannot comment on reliability.

Personally though for carrying in the pocket most days, I prefer just a small single blade locking kife (framelock or liner lock) for easy opening and closing and have a Leatherman Brewser on my keys for prying, scraping and even some light screwing. Oo and indeed er.

CountZero

The thing with the Spyderco UK Legal knives like the Penknife is they’re specifically designed to make them safe for things like whittling; the blade/handle junction has a finger choil that makes it impossible for the blade to close on your fingers, the same goes for the smaller Sqeak, if you’re holding the knife correctly, no amount of force will close the blade across your fingers, unlike an SAK, and I’ve done it a couple of times with my old SAK, I only use the smallest blade occasionally, it’s mainly the other tools and blades like the saw I use it for now.

[edit] Here’s a review with a bunch of photos showing how the choil works, it covers things better than I can:

Spyderco UK Penknife UKPK Slipjoint EDC Knife Review

benp1

Count Zero – while I do agree, I also think that they look intimidating as knives, despite being legal (I have the UKPK and the urban amongst others)

stevextc
    Free Member

I am erring towards a single blade edc and maybe use one of my battered SAKs for their tools. I was hoping that there would be (30ys since my last knife purchase) one SAK knife to rule them all for camp duty including whittling, but that appears to be moon on a stick territory if I am to stick to UK legal carry.

Although there is always “at the officers discretion” a locking or fixed blade knife should be legal to keep at home transport securely and take out and use at camp.

Surely the most frequent accident (if you follow basic safety of always cut away) is folding on fingers?

Basic Safety is a bit of an oxymoron I suppose because basic safety surely says never try and whittle something or cut anything tricky with a folding non-locking knife.

When I grew up we all had knives and I don’t know anyone was ever cut or stabbed by one.  I did know quite a few people who hurt fingers though… some quite badly though not bad enough to lose a finger.

CountZero

For that matter, so does a Mora, the OP is talking about its use in a controlled environment, where a small folding knife would be no more threatening than any of the Mora fixed-blade knives shown above.

Surely the most frequent accident (if you follow basic safety of always cut away) is folding on fingers?

Exactly, and exactly why the UKPK is ideal, because that cannot happen in use, and when not in use it can be safely folded away, and closing is safer than a SAK, because of the detents stopping the blade at 90 degrees, allowing fingers to be moved before final closing. That’s not to say that trapping fingers couldn’t happen, you can’t legislate for stupidity!

stevextc
    Free Member

The thing with the Spyderco UK Legal knives like the Penknife is they’re specifically designed to make them safe for things like whittling; the blade/handle junction has a finger choil that makes it impossible for the blade to close on your fingers, the same goes for the smaller Sqeak, if you’re holding the knife correctly, no amount of force will close the blade across your fingers, unlike an SAK, and I’ve done it a couple of times with my old SAK

Now that actually looks very smart….I might even get one myself if only for the engineering.

CountZero

@stevextc, yes it works very well, I’ve had a Squeak for ages, it a very useful little knife, just tucks into the ticket pocket of a pair of jeans, my Pingo doesn’t have it, but the blade is designed in such a way that I can’t see a way of closing it up on my fingers, it requires a fair amount of effort to get it to start closing, then it stops again at 90 degrees. I’m far more wary of my SAK!

nealglover
    Free Member

Re: opinel

Great knives but not legal to carry, it’s a locking knife.

Apart from the ones that aren’t.

I have a UK legal (non locking) opinel in my pocket now.

jimjam
    Free Member

My main gripe with the UK PK is the ergonomics don’t agree with my hands. It doesn’t handle comfortably for me and also, I prefer a thumbstud over the thumb hole. I can’t do the “flick” because my fingers are messed up. I tried the cable tie knot trick but then deploying it every time it came out of my pocket wasn’t desirable either. I gave mine to a friend and replaced it with a Boker plus xs which, annoyingly, I lost.

CountZero

Here’s a review of another UK (World) legal knife, with very strong slipjoint, and no choil; the reviewer makes the point that, while the closure is stiff, without the choil, should you over-ride the detent, fingers are very much at risk, and it’s a very much more intimidating looking knife than the UKPK:

Lansky World Legal UK-Friendly EDC Folding Knife Review

jeffl

Not much use for this thread but I backed this Kickstarter as I quite liked the look of the knife. The last knife I bought was a locknife from a classic car show at the age of 14!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Knifetrackworld: UK Legal EDCs. Boker any good?’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.