Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Knees & elbows. Who's using what protection?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Probly been done a few times, but what’s good for knees & elbows? Not DH specific, something unobtrusive & comfy for general rocky trail stuff?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have some IXS assault knee/shin, very comfy and help with flying rocks too. After many sets of crap elbows the missus has the matching IXS ons that seem good and I have a set of Alpinstar soft ones that work well.

Scapegoat

Based on it was all they had in the shop when I asked, I have some Kyle Straits. I find you get used to them very quickly, they keep your knees warm in this weather and the couple of times I have fallen with them on they have prevented damage to my knees.

youngrob

These for me:

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Kyle straits for my knees, mainly because i don’t think they could take another knock.

cazum
    Free Member

661 Kyle Straits knee pads – had a few different types but these are by far the best knee pads i have ever had hardly notice there there and they keep your knees warm too! never slip down either!!
    661 veg elbow pads – ok think i might upgrade soon tho just dont feel as good as the kyle straits do on my legs

if that made sense lol

bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

661 Kyle Straits on the knees. Gonna try the poc elbow pads soon and maybe the shorts with hip protection. Does anyone have experience with these?

Mowgli
    Free Member

Kyle Straits again here – only pads I’ve used which stay put and are comfortable enough for all day use. I reckon they come up a bit small so would be worth trying them on.

I promised myself never to ride off road without them after the last knee-opening off.

roverpig

Endura MT500. Not a popular choice on threads like this, but I’ve been pretty happy with them.

Scapegoat

There could be a trend emerging here…….

eulach

661 Rhythm but they’re only good for abrasive protection and will be too warm in a month or so.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Kyles here too also use POC elbows – saved them a few times

Northwind

Kyle Straits on the knee. Never found a soft pad I liked for the elbows so I wear POC Bones- they look a bit ridiculous but they’re comfier and less sweaty than any soft pad I’ve used, the articulated shell means they don’t need to be held on much at all. Expensive but absolutely worth it, every scrape on mine is a bit of skin retained and there are a LOT of scrapes :mrgreen:

Might try some G-forms though.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

661’s for the knees though now considering the EVO’s, just invested in the raceface D3O elbow pads as i’ve ruined both of them and cannot afford anymore hits to the area. The latter come up small but they are light and comfy if it fits properly

alpin
    Free Member

Nukeproof knee pads. Nice and long. Previously had Kyle Straits, they served me well, but find the nukes a better fit.

The GF Fox launch knee and elbow pads. Tried them myself, but they come up too small for my not so massive legs.

chakaping
    Free Member
    stewartc
    Free Member

Happy with my MT500s, feel comfortable and seem to work when they have been needed.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m using the nukeproof ones and they’re ok. One of them is really comfy but the other has a bit of padding that can dig into my shin, not really sure why it does it but then again QC doesn’t seem to be a nukeproof strong point if memory serves!

SOAP
    Free Member

Poc helmet. That’s all I need 🙂
    Got some mt500 knees somewhere, they are pretty good for pedalling.

xiphon
    Free Member

I use the G-Form pads. Light weight, machine washable, and fit under clothes easily.

Only use them when BMX racing or riding DH ( in combination with a POC spine vest too)

gsp1984
    Free Member

I have POC knee and elbow protection… they are brill, fallen off plenty of times with them, and they provide great protection. You don’t even know they are there.

The VPD liquid hardens when hit, but once warm is pretty fluid. Trying them on in a shop you need to have them on for 5minutes so your body temperature molds them to you for max comfort.

proutster
    Free Member

Kyle Strait Knee and G-Form elbow when on XC rides.

Full-on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle outfit when DH 😳

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Do the padded shorts have a chamois? I can’t be bothered to wear them over normal chamois shorts.

Aristotle
    Free Member

661 Kyle Straits on the knees

Same here, in XL. I’m not sure what truly large people would wear.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Knees & elbows. Who's using what protection?’ is closed to new replies.