Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Knee pads for 48 yr old idiot who fell off his bike…
  • maxb
    Free Member

Just fell off yesterday and forgotten how much it bloomin’ hurts!

Hacking along the singletrack all fine and dandy, next minute whoosh along the roots and gravel – pedal strike I think but first time I’ve been off for many a year, not because I’m some riding god but I just take it pretty easy these days.

Bit late now but any recommendations for some comfy, non-restrictive pads out there that won’t make me look like a would-be downhiller?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I use the 661 rage knee pads and they seem fine for a 45 year old idiot, much better than the older Veggie’s I have anyway.
    I use the older ones for gardening now. Ideal for kneeling down whilst weeding.

Alphabet

I always wear 661 knee pads. I find them very comfy and easy to ride in. I don’t care if I look like a would-be downhiller but mince along, as I’d rather be a bit more protected if I do come off.

somafunk

Poc VPD Air Knee pads fit the bill for me, i don’t notice them when i’m wearing and they don’t scream gnarly wannabe enduroist either Poc VPD Air bikemag review

maxb
    Free Member

Ideal for kneeling down whilst weeding.

And going: “enrgggghhhh” every time you crouch down or get up of course…. 😉

russyh
    Free Member

I use these for trail riding:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/troy-lee-designs-speed-knee-sleeve/rp-prod142805?gs=1&gclid=CLv40f3-nc8CFYidGwodiDMLVw&gclsrc=aw.ds

They are soft, grip nicely and have just the right amount of padding. I have some slightly harder shelled versions for uplift days. But for general riding i find them absolutely perfect.

iainc

I bought and sent back literally dozens of pads in the quest to find something similar – light, non restrictive, a bit of padding, for a mincing 50yr old 🙂

I settled on Bliss Minimalist ones, and also some RaceFace Charge’s (more like padded knee warmers). The Bliss are as comfy as the Charge’s and offer a bit more protection, only point is they size up big (I ended up with small, whereas my Charges’s are Large)

D0NK

If those are original mountain kings then buying some better tyres may be a better investment in pain saving 🙂

I’ve got some 661 kyle straits, they’ve been fine when I’ve used them but I tend to eschew pads and go for the don’t crash approach normally.

kimbers

endura singletracks are great, and they dont require show removal to fit

warns74
    Free Member

Buy a whole load, try them, keep the ones that feel the most comfortable. For me this was the Fox Launch Pros which are very light and all day comfort.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

The POCs for me too…

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Fox launch pro for this idiot as well.
    Although I never seem to come off when I’m wearing my protection 😳

sparkyrhino

Dakine trail skins for me,light,well vented and you forget your wearing them comfy. Saved my knees a few times,

benp1

Dainese trail skins here

I worn them bikepacking in the Lakes, they were like kneewarmers

andyjh

I’ve been using the Endura Singletrack knee and elbow pads for a while now but after after two crashes in two weeks I’ve found the pads themselves have caused bad grazes on both my knees and elbows! I used to really like them but I’m really not happy with them now. I’m looking at the Troylee Designs ones now as they seem to come high recommended.

zilog6128

+1 for POC VPD

Happily ride all day in them & forget they’re on.

rockhopper70

I spent £438 at Chain Reaction on a big box of pads, of various brands and sizes to try at home.
    I tried the knee sleeve, like a neoprene sock with D3O on the front but the fit felt too tight.
    I ended up with the Troy Lee 5450, knee and shin guard and rate it.
    They replaced the 661 Kyle Straight and the TL are way way more comfy.
    The 661 pads just feel huge now and uncomfortable around the back of the knee in comparison to the TL.
    I’m a 46 yr old mincer and the shin protection stop nettle stings too.

EDIT, it doesn’t help the ego when you size up as a small in the sizing chart, but it’s true.

maxb
    Free Member

Cheers all – just checked out a £350 basket of knee pads at CRC so I will try a few for fit and see how it goes.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Dainese trail skins here

…they were like kneewarmers

+1

JAG

Wear your scars with pride and MTFU 😛

exupmonkey
    Free Member

Another Poc wearer here, VPD 2.0. Very comfortable, I suspect even for all day use, although I’m not fit enough to test that out but its good for 2 to 3 hours!

roverpig

Do POC VOD Air users find they slip down in use (as mentioned in the review posted above)?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Ideal for kneeling down whilst weeding.

And going: “enrgggghhhh” every time you crouch down or get up of course….

Oh, yes. So much so that my 4 year old boy already makes dad noises when doing similar. Learning from the best. 🙂

asbrooks

Just fell off yesterday and forgotten how much it bloomin’ hurts!

Hacking along the singletrack all fine and dandy, next minute whoosh along the roots and gravel – pedal strike I think but first time I’ve been off for many a year, not because I’m some riding god but I just take it pretty easy these days.

Bit late now but any recommendations for some comfy, non-restrictive pads out there that won’t make me look like a would-be downhiller?

First it was knee pads for me, now I need something to protect my collarbone. Oh by the way I’m just about to turn 49….

j2b2
    Free Member

Do POC VOD Air users find they slip down in use (as mentioned in the review posted above)?

Mine were slipping over time so I got an extra bit of velcro sewn on to hold them in place – the original strip just isn’t long enough to make reliable, robust contact. The POCs are great but you would expect them to have thought of this especially considering how much they cost. Also have POC elbow pads and they are good too with no slippage.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

If I were you I’d try on a few different ones & see what feels comfortable.My middle aged knees are protected by POC kneepads. They’re great for all day comfort,keep my knees warm in winter & not to sweaty in summer
    Unfortunately last Saturday I didn’t use them as we were just doing some XC & I wasn’t pushing it when some other hero came flying up the inside & the inevitable happened…

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Seconded on the CRC approach. I’d always favour going to a shop but after years of looking never found anywhere that had decent stock of pads. Ordered a couple of designs from CRC in multiple sizes.

Both Katie and I kept the Fox Launch Pros. Haven’t worn them in anger yet though.

vmgscot

As others have mentioned buy a bunch and try ’em on first.
    I had to replace some old 661’s and found IXS carve Evo fitted me best…but I’m 53 so they may not be suitable for you youngsters.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Knee pads for 48 yr old idiot who fell off his bike…’ is closed to new replies.