Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Knee pads and size charts
  • scc999

Why is it so hard for manufacturers to give accurate size chart information?

Since no shop  seems to stock a range of pads (hell they can’t even stock a range of sizes for the one or two pads they DO stock) I’m forced to buy online.

So far I’ve tried pads from Ikon and POC.  Went by the size charts both times (S) and both times the pads have been too small – both by a long way.  This means I’m having to pay to send them back, even though the size charts are wrong.

**Edit – and going by the size chart the Mediums would have been too big, there was a huge gap between sizes **

I’ve tried on a couple of different manufacturers in shops and both sets of M pads have been too loose.  Maybe the size small would have fit, but I’ll never know as they didn’t have any other sizes and didn’t know when they were getting more in.

Frustrating to say the least.

So, does anyone know of a shop in the Peak (or close by) that may stock a better range of knee pads?  C’mon folks, help me out!

Si

Trimix
    Free Member

Just buy a few from Wiggle / CRC, try them all on and send back the ones that dont fit. Sure, you may pay a few quid to send them back. But thats outweighed by massive choice, all delivered to your door pretty much next day. It’s the easiest way to shop.

No bike shop will stock a large selection.

It also allows you to compare the quality and fit in the luxury of your own front room.

scc999

It’ll cost me postage plus whatever they charge for returns now, £3.00 or something.

Would much rather avoid using them to be honest – but I fear that the option you’ve suggested is the only way I’ll be able to get pads that fit.  🙁

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I just order two pair small and medium online then send back the pair that don’t fit. It’s free returns.

It’s really easy. The free returns label is in the box they come in for wiggle etc. Just drop off at your local collect plus collection point.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

One of the reasons I buy online is I can get what I want in the size colour I want. And even try them on and send them both back for free and get my money back if I’m not completely satisfied.

ojays
    Free Member

If you can do Sheffield/Rotherham then go to JE James, they had good stock levels and Sheffield had 3 makes and Rotherham 2 different makes. Or they did when I went last year to do the same. Not far to drive from one to another.

I ended up with the Dainese ones and price matched, nothing like the size chart suggested either (I was between small and medium on the chart and then ended up buying large). All the other makes felt weird to me, but the. A few of us bought at the same time and all had diff preferences so best to try several makes as you say.

BillOddie

I like it when checking the size chart and I’m an XL on the thigh measurement and merely a L on the calf…

gavstorie
    Free Member

if you struggle to get the right size on both calf and thigh its worth trying raceface ambush pads. Because they are split rather than a sleeve you have much greater control over tightness and fit. And they can be put on or removed without having to take your shoes off..

scc999

Bit of an update.

1st, Raceface Ambush pads (m) fit me well, the medium poc joint vpd 2 were still too small, sonignore their size chart of you are ordering them!

2ndly, I was right in thinking CRC no longer do free returns (I’d guess wiggle don’t either).  The only way of sending something back FOC is to use Asda as a drop off point, which isn’t exactly convenient for me. You can still use collect plus, Hermes and the post office but it costs £2.95.

No idea if they charge per item or if you can lump more than one item into one package to avoid multiple charges.  There’s no details of the costs of returns in their FAQ etc so thought I’d let peope know as it had been mentioned up the thread

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve been buying and returning pads all bloody year, I seem to fall between L and XL now.

Really wanted the Dakine ones to fit too, they looked great.

Anyway, I’m about one-for-six in terms of keeping vs returning. Will have to keep plugging away as I don;t like to pay more than £35 or £40 and they’d be closer to £70 if I wanted to go to a shop to try a load on.

And I’m not sure trying in a shop gives enough time to see if they fit anyway.

BillOddie

And I’m not sure trying in a shop gives enough time to see if they fit anyway.

I think you right, i have had pads that have “fit” when trying them on only to find they aren’t very comfy after a couple of hours riding.

I seem to have settled on wafer thin RaceFace Charge for XC riding and RaceFace Indy for pretty much anything else.

I have a pair of IXS something or others and a pair of 7idp Strait clones gathering dust in the garage I should probably get rid of.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Knee pads and size charts’ is closed to new replies.