Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Knee Pads
  • bruceonabike
    Free Member

Took a tumble last weekend and now on the hunt for some kneepads. Rather than just look at the ad influenced review sites I thought I’d ask the class. What are you wearing and what do you recommend / not recommend?

If you wan’t a laugh here is the “What happened next” picture, dramatically caught on camera.
    ouch

nickc

oh look, a penny…  🙂

I’ve some Endura Singletrack Lite for general riding, and some Fox Launch Pro when I know I’m going to be throwing myself down pointy stuff.  Knee pads are really personal though, what works for me, might be totally crap for you. You really need to try some on.

strangey13
    Free Member

I like the 7idp projects I got at the start of the year. Come quite a bit further up the thigh and stay in place well

jam-bo

You appear to have some knee pads on. Carefully protecting your shins…

Don’t get them.

submarined
    Free Member

I’d thoroughly not recommend the IXS Flows that wore a sore on the back of both my knees on an identical route to you.
    But you’re welcome to try them!

snotrag

Sweet Protection Bearsuit

Really like these, even if it took me two goes to get the right size (there a bit tight). Comfy enough that I use them pretty much any time I’m on my Mtb. Saved my knees a few times and crucially been through the washing machine loads without any ill effect.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d thoroughly not recommend the IXS Flows

And I’d just come on to heartily recommend the Flow Evo+ pads as the only ones I’ve owned which fit well and stay put throughout rides – along with being a nice compromise on bulkiness.

If yours are size large and you’re looking to get rid, I’m all ears.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Skills day

chakaping
    Free Member

Sweet Protection Bearsuit

Really like these, even if it took me two goes to get the right size (there a bit tight).

Look good, so did you go up a size? I find I’m often between L and XL in knee pads.

snotrag

Yep, I started with M and ended up at L.

blitz

Also a big fan of IXS flows. Recommended them to a mate and he also gets on really well with them.

isoo
    Free Member

I got Leatt’s 3DF 5.0 for knees. Comfy and still in good shape after about 18 months. The Airflexes I have for my elbows are comfier still, but might not survive contact with anything abrasive as they are just tubes of lycra with the pads glues on vs. neoprene and aramid on the 3DF’s.

I remember Singletrack giving them both good reviews recently too.

argee

I have the leatt airflex pro’s, they’re nice and comfy for knee pads, but again it’s personal preference, weirdly the one time i forgot to put them on i put a hole in my knee that let me see the right kneecap for the first time in my life!

bsims
    Free Member

Very happy with my POCs

Northwind

IMO with kneepads, unless you want to wear them under other clothes, bigger is always better. The daft “kneewarmers with squishy bits” like Gform don’t offer much protection, and mine were actually warmer and less comfy than my big bulky 661 Rages (because the big ones can be soft and loose and have opening and good knee-forming shapes, while the minimal ones have to be tight and enclosing)

If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right. Side protection can make a huge difference, and there’s no replacement for displacement at the front. So something like a Fox Launch Pro, or the previous model 661 Rage (not the shit current one), or Scott Rockets.

But fit is really important too so you’ve got to try them on, the Fox Launch is a great product but it chafed me raw in an hour just because it’s not the same shape as my leg.

kayak23

kayak23

I would have said G-forms, but you appear to have them on already 😀

Edit- Oh wait, those are just shin pads right? G-form knees then. I like mine.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Leatt 3df 6.0 for myself and Mrs M.  It is the first knee pad I’ve ever had that doesn’t rub my skin off (dianese, endura, POC have all worn my skin away leaving wounds that take ages to heal).  The leatt pads are all day comfy and have been tested on Dartmoor granite.

gavstorie
    Free Member

Raceface Ambush. Excellent coverage, very comfy, not too warm.. You can remove/fit them without taking your shoes off.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

The new Endura MT500 ones look good – I currently run some Bliss pads, but the Endura ones will be my next purchase.

JP

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

IMO with kneepads, unless you want to wear them under other clothes, bigger is always better. The daft “kneewarmers with squishy bits” like Gform don’t offer much protection, and mine were actually warmer and less comfy than my big bulky 661 Rages (because the big ones can be soft and loose and have opening and good knee-forming shapes, while the minimal ones have to be tight and enclosing)

^^^^ Spot on. No point **** about when there’s so many decent proper pads to be had.

I’m currently using RF Ambush.

howard8703

I second bsims.
    I tried quite a few pairs and the POC vpd 2.0 were best fitting for me ( and found in the sale) however when wet they need pulling up sometimes.
    I struggled with sizing/ fit so I would try a few!

scc999

Used Fox Launchpad pros for 3(?) ish years, they’ve got a bit baggy, even with the extra velcor I added and were a bit too warm in the summer.

Now got a set of RF Ambush pads and I’m very impressed.  Can put them on / remove them without having to take your shoes off which is a big bonus.

Also, the size guid was pretty much spot on, unlike a lot of others I tried.

HTH.

Si

dc1988

Raceface ambush here as well, I’ve been very impressed. No slipping and seem like they offer decent protection. Not having to slide them off over your shoes is also a big bonus.

I came from using Fox Launch Pro, they were good but got baggy over time and started slipping.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Knee Pads’ is closed to new replies.