Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • knee guard recommendations for xc/trail riding
  • turneround

had some 661 kyle’s some time ago which were ok anyone got a recommendation for similar but less bulky… and have some to sell 🙂

Joe

I’d go for a healthy dose of MTFU.

turneround

please elaborate… MTFU??

dannybgoode

I think he means you should forget the pads in favour of some machismo.

Me, I think pads are cheaper and simpler to replace than knees.

I wear these

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/endura-mt500-protectors-knee

Cheers

Danny B

sia20
    Free Member

Troylee shock doctor , you dont know you are wearing them there that comfy and light

coogan
    Free Member

I agree.

chakaping
    Free Member

Troylee shock doctor

+1

aka the KG5400 I think

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I agree.

or stupidity – knees are pretty fragile things and when they are gone…

not worth risking when troy lee 5400 are so light.

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

i use the 661 Kyle’s no problems, find them perfectly comfortable

as for MTFU, one of my pads them has a large gouge out of the front, which makes me happy as its not my knee and i can continue riding

Lifer
    Free Member

I once took a 5p sized chunk out of my kneecap. Took five or six weeks to heal properly as I kept riding and splitting it open. Use pads now. 661s.

Was a comedy crash too on wet limestone, wasn’t going very fast but went down bloody quick!

chrismanc
    Free Member

I purchased a pair of raceface dig knee pads from CRC. Used them for the first time on Sunday and very impressed up to now. Didn’t slip down a inch all day. Only 30 buff aswell.

soobalias
    Free Member

i bought some g-form ones.
    they work by stopping me falling off, bingo.

turneround

got the troy lee’s and immediately sent them back. Word of warning to folk, these do appear to size up big, i used the Troy lee size chart which put me at a med, but when they came they were too big. Nice pads though, got a small on the way 🙂

dashed
    Free Member

Rate my nukeproof ones – much more comfy than the 661’s they replaced. I tried TLD’s and the fit didn’t suit me… Order a load from CRC and return the ones that don’t fit for free 😆

neninja
    Free Member

My advice is find a set of knee pads that work for you and use them. MTFU will not stop a sharp edged rock!

(I forgot my pads that day).

dantsw13

Wise words. I bought a set of the El Cheapo 661 foam pads from CRC(Rampage – £20 for elbows and knee/shin) which I use for all my local easy riding, no matter how mincy.

When its planned a bit more gnar, I have some hard shell RF knees, and a Fox body armour set.

If Im of to the Alps, my Fox armour has a attachable Back Protector, and Ill wear my FullFace.

I see no end of people on here laughing at overprotected riders. That photo above, and the Rogues Gallery pics in the bike mags pit it in perspective for me.

FuzzyWuzzy

G-forms for me, as for the MTFU trolls, if you aren’t crashing occassionally then you aren’t trying hard enough, stop mincing about whilst protecting your bare knees :p

MarkN
    Free Member

My advice is find a set of knee pads that work for you and use them. MTFU will not stop a sharp edged rock!

+++

Yeah you may not fall off and smack your knee on something hard but if you do at least it has some protection.

Alex

I switched from Kyle 661s to D30s. They’re ace. Not to sweaty, easy to pedal in, work well on unplanned interference fit with ground. Nuke Proof ones are good also, feel odd when you put them on but okay on pedalling, bit hotter.

I lost a summer to a smashed up knee. I’m not prepared to do that again so pads for me most of the time.

speedstar

I didn’t previously wear pads either but working in acute care as a doc has got me going in the other direction. Number 1 serious injury seen most frequently from mtb’ing is cervical spine fracture so good quality back protection is also something people should consider. I just got a pair of POC knee pads and they were great for 3 hours round GT on saturday.

dantsw13

Age = worry = more protection. Im not getting younger, ergo ……….

turneround

got the size smalls today, nice and light, stay where they should, now can not worry about knees – nasty picture 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘knee guard recommendations for xc/trail riding’ is closed to new replies.