Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Knackered car tyre – replace one or two & where to buy?
  • tor5
    Free Member

So, hit a pothole a couple of days ago, and have now noticed the sidewall of tyre is bulging. Bit of a bugger as it means a new tyre. Annoyingly, it’s a brand new car which has only done 2k miles – so there is tons of tread left on the tyres.

What’s the received wisdom, will I need to replace a pair or can I get away with just doing the one if I use the same brand/model? Where does STW buy it’s tyres these days? Online fit on the drive kind of place?

Photos of the tyre and copies of receipts will be sent to the local county council, as it happened on a local B-road, but I have low hopes of any kind of compensation…

parkesie
    Free Member

As the other tyre is near new I’d just replace the one with a matching tyre. Could come down to who sells them tyres. Camskill for tyres online are good otherwise I just use a local fitter.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

Like for like replacement of the damaged one is all you need (I.e. Same make a model -keeps a uniform handling behaviour). No need for two with only 2k on the other.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johnners
    Free Member

I’d try to replace it with a matching tyre if possible but if the wear’s very low on the other one on that axle it wouldn’t worry me unduly if I couldn’t. as long as it was similar quality. The last couple of times I’ve bought tyres I used Blackcircles.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Put the new one on the back and put the rears on front. 2k is nothing really.

mattyfez

Yeh I think I’d just replace the single tyre if they are hardly worn.

I would use a matching tyre though, unless you want interesting cornering characteristics!

tor5
    Free Member

Thanks all, as I hoped then. Blackcircles came up trumps on the price as well. I’ll still begrudge having to buy a new tyre though!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Worth trying to claim off the council for the costs. They’ll probably tell you where to go, but at least a formal complaint/claim will show in their metrics so might, if enough others have also hit that pothole, get them to fix it. And you never know you might get them to compensate you for the tyre. A mate of mine damaged an alloy wheel on a particularly severe pothole near us, managed to get a successful claim off the council for a replacement wheel and tyre. Was a bit of a hassle for him though and took some time, but he was successful.

If you haven’t already take a photo of the pothole and try to show its depth and width by using something for scale.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Knackered car tyre – replace one or two & where to buy?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts