Kmc x10sl – snapped!

Home Forum Bike Forum Kmc x10sl – snapped!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Kmc x10sl – snapped!
  • Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Mechanical parts fail, sometimes early sometimes after lots of use.

Is the SL the lightweight one?

wobbliscott

Nope, well not in my experience. Every KMC chain I’ve had has snap regularly, multiple times per ride sometimes. The frequency of chain snapping greatly reduced when I switched to SRAM chains, and is now zero, so far, since I’ve gone 1×10. I buy the cheap SRAM 10 spd chains and replace when the chain checker tells me to – about 2 to 3 times a year. I could probably stretch that out a bit if I did more frequent and better chain maintenance. I basically do nothing bar a quick wipe down and spray of 3 in 1 before every ride.

Premier Icon _daveR
    Subscriber

Back to shimano I think.

Xtr is cheaper anyway!

ridewhenever

Just warranty it, KMC are great about that sort of thing.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Never had a problem myself. My last X10SL was utterly wrecked when I took it off, had started to lose a couple of rollers. Hadn’t broken though.

Premier Icon _daveR
    Subscriber

Bought it from Merlin, do I go back to them for warranty of the importer?

JoB

i’ve never had a KMC chain snap, on the MTB, CX or road bike, but then i try not to change gear under load

Premier Icon _daveR
    Subscriber

3 week and 50 mile old x10 sl has just snapped on me when shifting rings on the front.

I was climbing so it was under load and when I shifted from the middle to granny on the front, one of the outer links has snapped and bent a couple of others at the same time.

Question is, was I just unlucky? Was shifting under load too much to ask of it? I’m assuming the lightened outer links just aren’t up to the job.
    Thought on going for a regular x10 or just a good old xt?

tang

I normally use wippermann as I’ve never broken one(not to say they don’t). The last kmc I used snapped twice under non shifting load. I’ve snapped shim/sram before. I’m no powerhouse and mindful about gear changing.

Jamie

i’ve never had a KMC chain snap, on the MTB, CX or road bike, but then i try not to change gear under load

Likewise.

The last kmc I used snapped twice under non shifting load. I’ve snapped shim/sram before. I’m no powerhouse and mindful about gear changing.

History may suggest otherwise 😛

I’ve recently fitted a KMC 9 Silver to a new SRAM 990/991??? cassette and found shifting to be poor after years of using a SRAM chain

dirtydog

Shimano, Sram, Kmc they’re all the same never had a single one break.

I don’t think its coincidence, the people I know who break chains tend to have little or no mechanical sympathy.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Never had issues with KMC, but then I’d also not bother with the SL version. Buy cheap and replace often is my advice with chains.

Have snapped 3 chains in almost 20 years of riding. 1 Shimano, 1 SRAM and 1 Wippermann (which was almost new, and I repaired it twice and it snapped again twice!). Never a KMC.

KMC make a huge amount of chains for both Shimano and SRAM (just like Giant make bikes for Trek and numerous other makes), so I’d certainly not write them off. There’s over a hundred links in your average bike chain, each an opportunity for failure. When you consider how many chains KMC will sell, if one chain in 1000 snaps prematurely, that’s 1 in 100,000 opportunities, which is pretty bloody good!

Changing chainrings under load though… Can’t really blame the chain for that one I’m afraid!

wilburt

KMC are crap they seem to be the de rigour for several Taiwan factories but IME dreadful, replace with SRAM ASAP.

matther01

KMC on all bikes over the last 3 years and never an issue…but I only ever buy the ‘L’ as the ‘SL’ is lighter weight and prone to snapping from what I can gather.

zelak999

Contact KMC they are very helpful and sent me out an upgraded chain and some goodies when a similar thing happened to my SL chain.

Premier Icon _daveR
    Subscriber

Ok, new xtr on order to keep me going, will contact kmc about a warranty replacement too.

In all seriousness, is changing chainrings under load a no no? I’m not really one for mechanical sympathy, but I’d rather not snap chains if I can help it.

esher shore

@daveR

before putting your new XTR chain on your bike, have a good look at the transmission specifically the chainrings and cassette and make sure you don’t have any damage to teeth or burrs that caused the KMC to open up and fail

seen this too many times…

KMC aren’t known for snapping without an external issue like poor fitting (using a chain tool with a damaged pin) or damage somewhere in the drivetrain

most modern chains will withstand abuse without issue including bad shifting under load

DT78

Only time I’ve had a kmc fail it was my own fault, changing under power, when it went it took a chainring tooth with it…. Broke loads of sram

oldgit

Never snapped one. Seen plenty of all makes go, poor ratios, no lube and worn teeth seem to be the common culprits.

Premier Icon _daveR
    Subscriber

@esher shore

Was a new XT cassette (11-36) that went on at the same time. The ring (24/32) aren’t new but I didnt notice anything too bad on them wear wise.

Will give them a good check over though. I did want to switch to a 24/34 or 26/36 anyway, so new ones might not hurt.

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Snapped three KMC chains in the last four months or so having not snapped any chains in the previous four years. Single ring up front. All three have gone putting in a power pedal on short techie climbs. All were fairly new at the time they went and running on newish cassettes.

Worth trying SRAM again (what I was running before), or are they really just rebadged KMC?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Kmc x10sl – snapped!’ is closed to new replies.