Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • KMC 10 speed connectors…without pliers
  • iainc

I was a dab hand at 9 speed powerlinks, but these appear to need some different hand action…. 🙂

any pointers ? (i do have the pliers, but they stay in toolbox at home)

njee20
    Free Member

Same technique, never noticed a difference.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh same here. Is the link gunged up maybe?

Jamie
    Free Member

We talking fitting or removing?

I am a big girl and got the tool for removal, as it just makes things easier…plus you never need to remove it when out so don’t need to take with you.

Fitting them was same as any other powerlink type.

iainc

fitting is fine, removal is a PITA – chain is clean, guess I need to practise my hand action ! or perhaps its a stiff fitting one – will have a fettle tonight, cheers

jonny-m
    Free Member

IME they get easier with time, usage, keep at it

Jamie
    Free Member
    iainc

Jamie – I do have the KMC opening pliers 🙂

(i do have the pliers, but they stay in toolbox at home)

But like to be able to open by hand if needed and not with toolbox handy

Jamie
    Free Member

Sorry, I appear to have forgotten how to read this morning.

Have you considered the removal pliers? 😀

iainc

😛

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I’ve had the same issue with the KMC ‘missing link’. In my experience they are more of a faff than the quick links that SRAM and others do.

For fitting they can be tight but a good tip is to use the force of the cranks against a braked or held rear wheel. This loads the upper section of chain (and the link) and saves you using a tool. Removal often needs the pliers though.

patriotpro
    Free Member

9 speed links are re-usable, the 10s aren’t which is why the 9 speeds are easy to de-link and the 10s are not.

No idea why like.

iainc

the KMC 10 speed ones are sold as being reuseable though, and loads of teh reviews on likes of Wiggle talk about reusing them regularly.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I fitted a 10 speed shimano chain with KMC link to the roadie the other day and couldn’t get enough tension on it to get it to engage properly. Ended up using needle nose pliers between links on either side and opening them to pull the link to engage. Definitely much fiddlier than the 9 speed equivalents.

allthepies
    Free Member

I gave up with the KMC 10sp link and put an old SRAM 9sp powerlink into the KMC chain, no problems 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Always found KMC 8/9 easy. 10 no way on a new chain. Had to buy the pliers. Now the chain is pretty worn in/out its got easier.

hainman
    Free Member

I just ordered a new chain and went for the KMC 10,I actually don’t know how i got the old quick link off,faffing for ages then whack,chain came off,put new one on and could i get new link on,could i hell,took bike to wheelcraft to get work done,and mentioned the problem,as i had put old one on,he told me it was goosed,sold me a new Sram one,which i didnt mind,as 3 quid and keeps my new one as a spare,his method of pulling it closed was great,link up top,grab back wheel and rattle the cranks to pedal,shut!! now i need to figure out how it comes off again….

IHN

Connex links are reusable (9 and 10 spd) and approximately 57.384 times easier to fit and remove than SRAM, KMC or any other type of split-link that I’ve ever tried.

njee20
    Free Member

9 speed links are re-usable, the 10s aren’t which is why the 9 speeds are easy to de-link and the 10s are not.

Only on SRAM, KMC ones are re-usable.

I fitted a 10 speed shimano chain with KMC link to the roadie the other day and couldn’t get enough tension on it to get it to engage properly

Apply brakes, stand on pedal. That’s actually in the instructions on the SRAM ones now.

tang
    Free Member

Those kmc 10sp are a nightmare. I did get one undone, I must have summoned some magic as it just popped, never to be repeated! Connex/SRAM no probs.

ThePinkster

I regularly re-use SRAM 10 speed links no problem at all, even though they don’t recommend it.

The current one has been split 5 or 6 times so far. Only reason I needed to replace the old one was because I lost half of it in the detritus of the garage floor.

timba
    Free Member
    iainc

Thanks for the link. Managed to get it off by hand although better when not using rubber glove !

mattsccm
    Free Member

Don’t want to be thought have as a git but never seen a problem. Use the lower chain run and you can use your whole hand to support the chain. I always put them in the same way as 1 thumb is stronger than another.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve always found the KMC 10 the easiest, It’s the spare I carry and the one I use when stripping the crosser post race. It does come apart ‘just like that’

Only learnt this year that the SRAM Black links are quick fit only and not replaceable.

Edit from SRAM

SRAM chain engineers developed PowerLock as a tool free, sure and consistent way to connect our 10 speed chains. While PL does not require special tools for install, the especially tight tolerances of 10 Speed drive trains mandated that each PowerLock is good for a one-time application only.

darrenspink
    Free Member

I always use that method that timba provided a link to, takes seconds…even on the trails. Done it with a stone in the past.

scaredypants

I like that ctc-linked method though I’ve always carried a bit of suitably bent coat-hanger wire to compress the links. That works very well too

welshfarmer

I was about to suggest a piece of bent coat hanger which is my preferred method for removing the tension from the split link, but scaredypants beat me to it. I also fine a 90 degree internal circlip pliers to be pretty good at popping them open.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘KMC 10 speed connectors…without pliers’ is closed to new replies.