Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • KitKat rolling out for the nexus 4. Anyone got it yet.?
  • mazz
    Free Member

Got my 4.4 on my N7 (2012) last night.
    Am a little underwhelmed. No transparent bars, no google now from left, no groovy new wallpaper. Think maybe all these things for Nexus 5 only?

Is much smoother though. Few icons have changed.

Think notification bar is now supposed to be grey all the time. The light blue holo effect now gone.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

mazz – just install the APK from this link and since you have the new search app in KitKat, you’ll get the transparent bars and stuff:
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11/13/massive-google-search-3-1-8-update-rolling-out-brings-google-experience-launcher-new-cards-completely-fixes-gel-on-tablets-and-more-apk-download/

mazz
    Free Member

Thanks gravity_slave.

Karl33to
    Free Member

Got it OTA last night, hardly any difference apart from its all seems a little bit quicker.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

On a Nexus 7 ota at midnight it simply seems smoother. A few wierd things when I try to upload files from a Garmin to strava. Have to go in via different menu. Otherwise just the same. so far.

cheers_drive

The OTA for my N10 was last night. Since then it’s been in a boot loop. It’s rooted so I imagine that’s the problem.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Think notification bar is now supposed to be grey all the time. The light blue holo effect now gone.

Oh? OK, does anyone know what the little capital letters over the signal strength bar denote? I often have an ‘E’, sometimes it’s an ‘H’?.

allthepies
    Free Member

G – GSM (slowsville)
    E = Edge (better than old skool GSM but still slow)
    H = HSPA (3G, high speed data)

neninja
    Free Member

Mine sometimes says H and sometimes says 3G – don’t know why.

KitKat just came through on my N4 – it seems a little quicker now to open apps.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Downloading now. Looking forward to playing with this before bed.

somafunk

And they say us Apple fanboys are geeks?…..jeez……….. 😉

In jest….don’t abuse me.

nuke

Mine came through last night on my Nexus 4

…preferred the Easter egg on the old version; I loved flicking those beans 😯

clubber
    Free Member

H is one up from 3G I thought. shows as 3G+ on some phones

allthepies
    Free Member

Bah, no update for me yet 🙁

mark90
    Free Member

No update here, N7 2012 😐

kimbers

just got my N4 upgrade, apps do seem to open a bit quicker

clubber
    Free Member

Ditto here, Mark 🙁

hjghg5
    Free Member

Installing now…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

just looked in settings: about phone: system updates:

Now on 4.4

jekkyl

Disappointed to find no update to sort the camera on the Nexus4 to make it easier to change the light setting, daylight/fluorescent etc. Maybe I should experiment with a different cam app, any recommendations?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Up and ruining on the N10, there isn’t much different and no transparent bars. The apps launch faster and things seem smoother but that’s about it.

I can see how it will work well on older devices, it’s just a shame that there seems to be a problem with putting a new room on my sensation. A custom 4.4 room would be great.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

If anyone has updated to 4.4 and you want it to look and feel like the nexus 5 then here is a link to the launcher APK that is used on the nexus 5. I have installed it on my nexus 4 and 7 and it works like a dream.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11/13/how-to-try-the-google-experience-launcher-with-translucent-bars-and-google-now-once-you-get-your-kitkat-update-apk-download/

Edit, didn’t see the link above in a previous post.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve got kit kat on my n4 now too. underwhelmed so I then shoved GEL on and …oooo funky! I like. I can’t get ‘Ok Google’ to work though….any ideas?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I can’t get ‘Ok Google’ to work though….any ideas?

First of all I take it you have said yes to the google now experience.? Secondly “ok google” only works if your google now language is set to “English US”. Change the setting and it should work.

neilnevill
    Free Member

errrr, how do I say ‘yes’ to the experience?

neilnevill
    Free Member

forget that! sorted! ta!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Anyone tried ART over Dalvik? Seems nippier, smoother but WhatsApp not supported so I switched back to Dalvik.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Holy Moly it’s fast! I thought the nexus 4 was fast before, but now… siphon mm dolphin opens web pages almost before I knew I wanted to.

petrieboy

Mine updated OTA last night. Not noticed any real difference.
    I accepted the hangouts thing but I’m not really sure what it offers over normal SMS. Am I missing some killer feature??

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I accepted the hangouts thing but I’m not really sure what it offers over normal SMS. Am I missing some killer feature??

Hangouts SMS is pretty standard as far as I can tell, I dare say there will be some interfacing ability with other Google stuff tho. One good Hangouts feature, if you have front facing camera, you can do video calls with multiple people and share screens with each other. saying that, I’ve never done it on phones, but it works well on the laptop.

gravity-slave
    Free Member
    JohnnyPanic

OTA update last night on my N4. Faster, smoother and the standard email app has had a makeover for the better plus you can now delete and reply to emails from the notification bar. Groovy.

muggomagic

The full screen album art alone makes 4.4 a cracker.

deviant
    Free Member

Got my OTA update last night. Visually not much difference but I wasn’t expecting a massive change, android has been very good since ‘ice cream sandwich’… subsequent updates have simply refined the OS.
    It does seem kinder on the battery which ties in with Google wanting Kit-Kat to be able to run on devices with only a small amount of RAM.

JohnnyPanic

Less groovy, still no easy way to empty the recycle bin in the stock email app. Mine shows 999+ in there and I’ve already deleted 600+ from it one at a time 🙁

Cougar

Can’t you just do that on the web?

paladin

eddiebaby – Member
    On a Nexus 7 ota at midnight it simply seems smoother. A few wierd things when I try to upload files from a Garmin to strava. Have to go in via different menu. Otherwise just the same. so far

Got a nexus7, got a garmin, how do I upload from the garmin with the nexus?

Incidentally, got KitKat and now my OSmapfinder can’t operate, Google working on the glitch apparently…

crazy-legs

KitKat downloaded to my Nexus 7 overnight.
    Not really had time to play around with it enough yet to notice any changes.

kayak23

Just updated it for my Nexus 7. Caused all sorts of issues. Mostly, STW freezing constantly on my preferred browser, Dolphin.
    I really wish you could easily un-update these things..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘KitKat rolling out for the nexus 4. Anyone got it yet.?’ is closed to new replies.