Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Kitchendesigntrackworld….. C-shape kitchen, or island….
  • DrP

Having a bit more smash’n’build at chez P…. going for the classic 5x4m “kitchen/diner with sky-lantern” extension..south facing… (plus addition of a utility room)

Builder starting soon, but I need to give some deep thought to the kitchen layout. I know I want to separate the kitchen and dining area i.e having table and chairs at the far end of the extension.

However, I was initially set on having a island with the hob on it (will have to think about extraction), but was playing about with having a C-shape kitchen layout, and i’m kind of falling for that.

Caveat…missus likes the island better….

in your ever so humble opinion dear STW.. which of these do YOU think works… real life experience, or just internet guessing equally welcome..

ISLAND

OR C-SHAPE

We kinda know we’ll go for an Island don’t we!!!

DrP

alfabus
    Free Member

If you’re going to put the island in the garden, I’d put it on the side with a door or it’ll be really inconvenient.

mudhead84
    Free Member

“Mrs likes the island better”

Case closed…

km79
    Free Member

I would go with the c shaped layout as that has a sink and a hob compared to the hob only island layout.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Personally I like the island better. Makes the space seem more airey. Having tge hob on the island makes cooking a lot more social too ime. As far as extractors go you could go with one of those Bora ones.

ceept

Yep, I’d have a sink in the kitchen.

Which has more cupboard space, and is it enough.

chris36860
    Free Member

DrP.  Both look good and a way around the extraction is a downdraft extractor, but you need to put the vent pipe in before screed.  If i’m Correct, you live pretty close to me and we have just had a kitchen supplied and fitted by Freestyle in Chichester.  They also have a branch in Broadwater. They are German kitchens made by keller.  Very very impressed with ours.

neilnevill
    Free Member

The C shape gives a clearer divide from cooking to dinning which can be nice, but it is more slightly awkard to dash back to grab something you’ve forgotten..a glass of water, a condiment.  the c- looks to have more space in the kitchen, 2 people in the island layout wold be in each others way more.

scaredypants

I’m guessing that those bora things are real-world shite – Sagan or not

I prefer the C

… and well done, your lawn is in excellent nick !

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Git the roof on first, lad. Eh.

martinhutch

Island, definitely.

ART

C shape that island would annoy the ***t out of me… personal presence aside c shape puts the sink in a better place, gives you more cupboard space and is more social – you can have bar stools at the window end, so you can cook & chat. With the island you be constantly walking round it, watching that things didn’t get knocked off – unless it’s all über minimal in your gaff. 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Agree with ART.

jimdubleyou

Do you have small kids? They love to run round an island…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I thought island extraction was well catered. My extractor has a carbon filter, rather than actual extraction to exterior, and it works fine. google, pop up extractor and downdraft extractor (as above).

Both look good and a way around the extraction is a downdraft extractor, but you need to put the vent pipe in before screed.

I’m not certain, but think they are self contained carbon filter rather than some sort of pipe, unless you know better?

timber

C-shape, but swap the sink and cooker around to keep the social element. W<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>ho needs a view from the sink, no one longs to spend time washing up do they and surely a new kitchen would incorporate a dishwasher?</span>

All irrelevant, your missus wants an island .

chris36860
    Free Member

If you are under Building regs, then the extractor needs to vent outside.  As you are adding the extension, then regs will apply.  We have a Caple one with a exterior fan that sucks rather than blows as you get more l/min.

sweaman2
    Free Member

C shape. If the island has the cooker but sink behind every time you drain rice / pasta you’ve got to spin 180 and hope sproglets are nowhere near.

sbob
    Free Member

C shape.

Island is a nice idea but not in the confines of the space that you have. 🙂

ETA: whatever the missus says though, so island.

spooky_b329

C shape. That island would annoy me…plus it’s right where you’d want to put your bike workstand!

timba
    Free Member

I don’t know how accurate the windows are, but whichever gives the best views onto the garden/children playing, etc

Design the lighting to suit now, especially if you want plinth lights on your island…a few ideas link

DrP

Thank you for the comments… well done for ignoring (or spotting) the island in the driveway!!

2 things – we’re a bit ‘cluttery’, and we’ve 2 crazy kids. One’s small.

NEFF do a nice downdraft extractor (circa £1500..blimey) which can be vented out in either island or C shaped arrangement..

I agree that having the burner on the ‘spit’ of the C shape is more social.

IDEALLY i’d Have had the island 90degrees anticlockwise, so you can look over the table/window whilst cooking on it. THat was my ‘dream’ – to be at the hob, chatting to the viscount etc whilst I cook… the room just isn’t wide enough for that, so the island needs to be ‘portrait’ not ‘landscape’… not my fav…

Hmm… I’d be happy with either, will give it some thought…

DrP

nickjb
    Free Member

Personally I’d swap it round. The kitchen would work much better at the far end. You have two long walls for a decent L shaped kitchen and no need for any bits sticking into the room. I’d reduce the large opening slightly so you have a proper return with room for units/fridge. As is I don’t think that return meets building regs so you are going to need more steels or some other fancy structure. Its all very personal though so what I want probably isn’t what you want.

Sticking with options the C is better but I’d try and put the fridge somewhere else. I’d also want a proper extractor

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Kitchendesigntrackworld….. C-shape kitchen, or island….’ is closed to new replies.