Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Kitchen worktop DIY salvage fun times
  • fingerbang
    Free Member

My mate wants me to help him out with his rental house after some scrote wrecked it.

Any ideas on how to sort this out, as cheaply as possible?

revs1972
    Free Member

What ever you do to replace it would involve purchasing a length of worktop.
    So just replace the worktop would be the easiest option…

Next 😂

AlexSimon

Nothing you can do except replace it really.

Chipboard worktops aren’t expensive, but you’d need that edge strip for that nearside edge too.

Then you’d need to cut it to length.
    Use the old one as a template to jigsaw out the sink hole.
    Then you’d have to re-plumb the sink and tap
    Then silicone around the edge and iron on that edge strip

A pain, but all done in half a day

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simply_oli_y
    Free Member

I think a new section would be fastest/easiest.
    Only has 3 cutouts by the looks of it.

Anything to bodge in will look crap imo.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You could cut a straight edge and bond on a new wooden front edge.

But to even do that right would require removal to clamp well.

By the time you have done that you’d be as well to replace.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Thanks that’s what I thought. But my slum lamdlord mate seems to think we can saw and sand our way out of trouble :)))

hotstuff
    Free Member

Radius this end, paint it black. Cut out the damage at the sink, paint it black and stick a bit of tube in the cutout for hanging tea towels.
    If you can’t fix it make it a feature.

Flaperon

Honestly, it’ll be quicker and cheaper in the long run to just replace it. Not a difficult job but I’d recommend a router over a jigsaw for the cuts.

Remind your friend that his next tenant is basically paying the mortgage for him and to not be such a cheapskate. 🙂

joat

I’ve seen some YouTube vids using Ramen noodles to fill gaps. Try that

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not a difficult job but I’d recommend a router over a jigsaw for the cuts.

What benifit does the router bring to a couple of novices with a chipboard counter and surface mount sink?

I’d be jigsawing that all day long. Especially as a jigsaw is a common tool that they may have or may be able to borrow as well as being much less lethal in inexperinced hands

duncancallum

Cant believe he’s asking tbf.

Surely if it’s a nice house he’ll get a better more careful tenant.

Pull the cost from his deposit

BigJohn

In my experience, removing that worktop without taking off the tiles will be a bit of a bugger. Getting the new one in will be worse.

There seems to be a healthy overhang there. I’d be very tempted to make a straight cut all the way along, ending up with a clean edge then getting some oak (use B&Q oak door framing for example) and make a lip out of it. Glue, screw and make some Oak plugs to hide the screws.

Flaperon

@trail_rat

A jigsaw cuts in a vertical motion and tends to splinter the plastic at the edge of the cut*. Even with a fence or a guide it’s difficult to get a perfectly straight cut on the first attempt and any wobble is permanently on display. Less of an issue for the sink cut out I suppose.

* been there done that etc…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Agree a router is the right tool

But for this job id not be buying one.

Bigjohn makes a fair point and his suggestion was my first thought. I guess you can always stick in cam locks if needs be just can’t see getting sufficient purchase on the chip board to create a robust kitchen surface with screws.

chambord
    Free Member

How do you even do that to a worktop?

Presumably the tenants paid a deposit so use that to replace the worktop. Unless they were going to have the deposit anyway and then bodge it?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Router is better but a jigsaw is fine for this job, just make sure you have the right blade. Also depends which side you cut from which side splinters. IIRC the bottom edge is the clean cut so as long as you masking tape round it you should be fine.

As long as those tiles are secure they will not be a concern, I ripped out our old kitchen and the tiles were the very last thing that came off. Grind or gently chip off the bottom edge of grout once the old worktop is out and you will have plenty of room. Mind not not cut the clearance for those boiler pipes too tight, you will need a bit of slack to drop the top in then push it into that end wall. The bit that gets a rebate might need to get cut at an angle to get clearance (imagine dropping a bar hatch).

TheBrick
    Free Member

Just replace it. Even if you have to redo the bottom row of tiles it’s not a big job.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Thanks I know this is daft as f…. He needs to just replace but he’s being a dick. Nice house going up for rent in Stockport soon

kayak23

I could sort the edges but I’m not sure what’ll get those big blue arrows out.

Replace.

twonks

I’d replace it, and sort the swelling white panel at the same time.

We have exactly the same worktop in our kitchen and I bought the below from Ikea when adding a breakfast bar along the rear wall. Not an exact match but looks ok and nobody has ever commented about the difference.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/saeljan-worktop-black-mineral-effect-laminate-70202212/

joshvegas
    Free Member

Love the boxing in

tjagain

Nice house going up for rent in Stockport soon

not the one in that pic then? That pipe boxing needs to be replaced

andykirk
    Free Member

Replace??? What a lot of work.

Buy a thick bit of marine ply. Cut it out to approx shape with hole for sink. Slap on some epoxy sealant. Lay it on top. Job done.

dmorts

How do you even do that to a worktop?

My money would be on a dog doing it

fingerbang
    Free Member

Just done a days work there. My mates selling it and is just doing the bare minimum before it’s marketed as a ‘doer upper’ project house

The tenant was literally mental, was sectioned, put in custody and has now been tagged! He had a hydrophonic set up in the cellar, and had gone to town on all the plasterwork with a barbell when he got his notice to quit.

He also started trying to knock the brickwork through in the main bedroom to attack next door as he thought they had called the police on him

Toilet and bathroom are unspeakable

My mate is trying to smear lipstick on the pig but place is ****. The police had battered the front door in so I’ve spent the whole day sorting that out. The worktop was a red herring as much bigger fish to fry. I had a go with a router but nothing much you can do. My mate doesn’t have time or money to chuck at it so time to sell as is. Cheers for replies though

squirrelking
    Free Member

Does your mate not have insurance?

Replace??? What a lot of work.

Buy a thick bit of marine ply. Cut it out to approx shape with hole for sink. Slap on some epoxy sealant. Lay it on top. Job done.

Even better, use an old door someone has skipped!

revs1972
    Free Member

Even better, use an old door someone has skipped!

What about using the one the popo kicked in 😉

fingerbang
    Free Member

I also had to scrape burnt curtains off the radiator as he’d set fire to them, as you do

perchypanther
    Free Member

He had a hydrophonic set up in the cellar,

In Styockport?

Was he going for whale song or Russian submarines?

They always go Crazy Ivan to starboard in the bottom half of the hour

nwmlarge
    Free Member

It’s a £30 worktop from B&Q and you can use it as a template, this is the easiest job going.

AlexSimon

Spending £2000 on a contractor to sort it all out neatly will pay back when coming to sell.
    Stop bailing him out!
    Also – surely landlord insurance is perfectly suited to this kind of thing – there will be a police crime number and everything!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Kitchen worktop DIY salvage fun times’ is closed to new replies.