Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Kitchen fitters- a question for you
  • sweepy
    Free Member

How do you fit the kick plates under cabinets? I fit them, then hoover and knock the buggers off, every time. There must be a better way than those hateful clips.

wrightyson
    Free Member

You could always Mark where the front is then take of the thickness of the board then no nails a simple timber to the floor behind for it to butt up to.

BigJohn

There’s nothing stopping you screwing down into the plinth from the base of the cupboard above. You will need: a ruler, the ability to use that ruler accurately and add 9mm, a 3.5mm drill (optional), some 3.5 x 50 screws, the ability to screw straight.

Also if you pack a tapered spacer between the top of the plinth and the base of the cabinet that will wedge them tight.

mahowlett
    Free Member

What Wrightyson said except you only have to do it for one board per continuous run of kick plates. The rest you fit overlapping at each corner so they hold each other in. When you need to remove one, you first remove the one you put a board behind then work you way along the run removing them one by one, till you get to the one you want. Make sense?

somouk
    Free Member

Howdens do a plastic draft excluder type thing for uneven floors that goes over the plinth, I normally fit those to act as a bit of a spacer and give a bit more resistance to moving them.

sweepy
    Free Member

Thank you all for the good ideas 🙂

spennyy
    Free Member

Where have you fitted the clips? They shouldn’t be popping off, the plinth should be somewhere near the foot to stop them being pushed backwards and the clip about half way up the leg.

sweepy
    Free Member

Hold on- whats the plinth? I’ve just got a clip bout half way up that clips onto the leg of the cabinet, then when I clonk them with the hoover the bottom goes in and they sit at a funny angle.

spennyy
    Free Member

The plinth is the kickboard….. I assume you have screwed the clips to it?

kayak23

Usually the feet are big enough so that when clipped in, the kickboard rests against the foot and the clip. Two points of contact. Sometimes the top of the foot too, 3 points

It sounds as if yours doesn’t rest against the foot, but only the clip, so hinges under itself when knocked.

I’d try putting packers onto the bottom of the inside of the kickboard so that it can’t be pushed under beyond vertical. Glue in bits of wood or something.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

when i fit kitchens (chosen by me) i fit legs designed to be seen, and don’t fit kickbaords.
    that way they can be hoovered under and don’t act as rat-runs for mice, beetles, and hopefully not, rats. jus think it’s cleaner.

whenever you pull off kickboards in a previously fitted kitchen, you always find all sorts of horrors under there!

russ295
    Free Member

https://www.toolstation.com/plinth-lock/p78729

These are pretty good to keep everything in place.

muppet4
    Free Member

I fit the plinth clips at alternating heights down the board – is close to the foot as possible higher up on the next etc, this prevents that happening altogether.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Kitchen fitters- a question for you’ is closed to new replies.