Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Kitchen cupboard door solutions
  • SaxonRider

Ten years after buying our house and installing an Ikea kitchen, it is time to refresh everything. The cupboard doors and the worktop are looking especially tired. However, we were saddened to discover on going back to Ikea the other day that all of their cupboard sizes have changed, and that it won’t be a simple matter of replacing like for like.

Our options seem to be to have a builder make for us a series of custom doors
    Finding pre-fab doors that fit old Ikea cupboard sizes
    Making new doors ourselves

Now, if my dad was still with us, the solution would have undoubtedly been the last option, as he would have built the doors and mounted them himself. The thing is, I have no such patience/talent/time. If forced, though, I could probably manage the job alongside Mrs SR who is WAY more precise and meticulous than I am.

What say you? Have any of you had an Ikea kitchen before for which you had to change things, but found a problem with sizes? Are there outlets that make doors to measure or have Ikea-type sizes on hand? Would you not even consider such things, and just crack with the job yourself?

Advice/comments appreciated.

jam-bo

Plykea or lots of aftermarket door suppliers

kayak23

You can price up whatever you fancy at lots of companies such as the below link.

https://www.kitchendoorworkshop.co.uk/

Otherwise, a local joiner would no doubt knock you up what you need.

benv
    Free Member

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

You can buy hinge repair kits, which will allow you to easily alter the hinge position on your cupboard so you should be able to buy the IKEA doors and retro fit to your units.

https://www.toolstation.com/hafele-hinge-repair-kit/p25950?store=FD&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzaSxqM6R5gIVS7TtCh2JqwGFEAQYASABEgIKS_D_BwE

ebygomm
    Free Member

The actual door sizes have changed, it’s not just the hinge placement. OP will have a faktum kitchen, which have different door sizes to the current Metod kitchens. Retrofit is not possible

nixie

Could the doors be refreshed (repainted, wrapped etc?).

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The actual door sizes have changed, it’s not just the hinge placement. OP will have a faktum kitchen, which have different door sizes to the current Metod kitchens. Retrofit is not possible

Ah, ok.

riklegge

I had a similar problem but just needed to replace a couple of doors. I searched on ebay for faktum doors and managed to source some.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was going to say ebay.

BigJohn

I use HPP. They have a range of dozens of doors, dozens of colours and finishes and they make them to your exact dimensions. They even do hinge hole drilling to your exact measurements.

You may need to use an account holder to get them, let me know if you’re struggling to get hold of one.

senorj

These lot do your sizes?
    https://www.diy-kitchens.com/

burko73

Anyone tried painting their shaker style doors. Mine are wrapped with some sort of plastic wrap that could do with updating.

BillMC

I used Howden boxes then got a builder to make tulipwood doors and fit with proper steel hinges. Not a big job with the right tools. Bit of F and B paint and it looks bespoke.

nickdavies

I’d be having a go at that myself if the carcasses are sound. Just refurbed an old bathroom set of cupboards, but if I’d have had time I’d have got my local timber yard to cut to size some moisture resistant mdf panels in 18mm, and pinned on some 3mm mdf to get the shaker effect. You’re only going to have 3/4 sizes in a kitchen door I’d have thought? Could be a fun little project and you can do it slowly as it’s not really urgent. You’d only need a forstner bit for the hinges over and above basic tools.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Kitchen cupboard door solutions’ is closed to new replies.