Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Kit that just wont die
  • trailmonkey

Northwave Celsius GTX winter Boots vintage 2005.
    Finally retired and sent on a burning boat to Valhalla

igm

Ditto. Still usable, but wearing thin in places. Replaced with the current ones.
    Elder son will probably pinch the old ones as winter cross / gravel boots.

Both running on Time ATACs. We still have some of the original grey plastic ones that are still going strong. Indestructible.

andrewreay

Endura Humvee shorts from god knows when.

Still going after what now be 15 plus years of weekly abuse.

The liner is long gone though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    binners

Sombrio softshell jacket

I reckon it’s about 12-13 years old. I wear it on and off the bike, get it absolutely coated in crap, shove it in the wash and it comes out as good as new. I’ve launched myself off the bike countless times and its never ripped. Still going strong.

Absolutely bombproof! I reckon it’ll outlast me

swavis

Lake MXZ301’s (10yo I think) also running on some Time ATAC Z Freerides (12yo at least) that are still in regular use on my fat bike. Maybe next year they’ll give up…

fadda

running on Time ATACs. We still have some of the original grey plastic ones that are still going strong. Indestructible

This. I think my oldest are about 20 years old…

IHN

Time ATACs

Yep. Got a pair on my bike that are, well, I dunno how old, cos I bought them second on here yeeeeeeeaaaars ago. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with them.

And some Polaris bibtights that I bought at one of those ‘cycling sales’ in a local leisure centre. You know, the ones that used to get advertised in MBUK. They’ve got to be 20 years old, still going strong.

edd

Still have some 2004 Hope Mini Monos on my Indy Fab

gobuchul
    Free Member

A North Cape Polartec 100 fleece.

Bought it 29 years ago. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. All stitching and the zip absolutely fine.

I wonder what happened to that brand?

binners

Any Shimano SPD pedals

Has anyone actually managed to kill a pair?

Even the very cheapest, bottom of the range ones seem impossible to destroy

vmgscot

Same with the Hope Mono Minis.. now doing service on my OnOne Big Dog

The-Beard

Endura Humvee shorts from god knows when.

I had an old pair of Endura baggy shorts from the early 2000’s that took dogs abuse and lasted forever.  Way beyond what I’d expect from kit these days.  They eventually expired when I crashed and literally tore the arse out of them.

trailmonkey

Nope, I reckon my oldest pair of 520s are easily as old if not older than the aforementioned Northwaves

Klunk
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of 2005 hayes brakes on my ss (they weight a ton but the single finger braking on 140mm discs is nice), never been bled still on the original pads, which gets ridden 3/4 times a week for about 11 of those years. 🙂

Northwave Celsius GTX winter Boots vintage 2005.

the sole detached from mine after about 2yrs…. they kept going with a yearly liberal application of shoe goo replaced them this year with some shimanos (though I’m not convinced a boa is a suitable system for off road winter boots)

avdave2

Ron Hill tracksters

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

More shoes – 1st gen Specialized 2FO SPD shoes. There’s no way I’ll ever need to replace them.

andrewh
    Free Member

Any Shimano SPD pedals

Cosmetically – ***ed years ago
    Functionally – no, still work fine despite being mostly rust brown all over

kcal

Shimano W-100 boots (variant of the D100s I think). Bought for commuting so around 2002/3.
    Hope mini front brake – upgrade for my M2, bought c .2001, still going strong on Kilauea (as well as original rotor, cough).
    Shimano M-959 SPDs, also upgrade for M2, c. 2000 ? now on the Pegasus. bombproof.

I’m sure there are others lurking in the shed!

Klunk
    Free Member

I’ve got a single seized 520 pedal (when it seized it stripped the retaining collar thread and span on that but meant it couldn’t be fixed).

alaric

I have a Palm short sleeve cag in my kayaking kit, I can’t say exactly when I got it, but I know I had it when I did (most of) the Devizes to Westminster at Easter… 1991….

nickc

I’ve a pair of 520s that are at least 15 years old and refuse to die.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Time ATAC pedals here too, the XS Carbon flavour, bought in 2006 and still going strong these days on the commuter… They really don’t make them like they used to!

The Shimano SHM121G shoes bought at the same time with the original Time ATAC (brass?) cleats are just about still alive, but may get condemned this year.

jp-t853

gobuchul
    Free Member

A North Cape Polartec 100 fleece

I have a similar age Karrimor fleece jumper that still looks great

Ron Hill tracksters as well that could easily be older

Klunk
    Free Member

got some 2005 ish Spesh “hybrid” lace up spd shoes that I use on the road bike must have done at least 40,000+ miles bit tatty inside the heel but otherwise fine.

madhouse

My Endura Singletrack shorts lasted forever before they wore through, they don’t make them like they used to though so not expecting such heroics from their replacements.

Echo the Shimano SPD comments too, those things take all manner of abuse but they’re still working just fine.

From a tech point of view my Garmin 810’s still going strong, admittedly it’s been relegated to road bike duties nowadays but it’s outlasted many other tech items that’s for sure.

Sui
    Free Member

Sombrio softshell jacket

b’stard – that’ll be the oroginal stuff before they tried to release in the Uk agian a few years back. their kit was lovely, shame they are no more…

im going to add, my buffalo cycling shirt (active i think) – old dark blue one, appreciate it onyl gets worn during the winter, but it’s been constant for the last 15 years..

gobuchul
    Free Member

Is it the original “Polartec” branded fabric?

I also have a Berghaus Polartec 300 fleece which is only a couple of years younger.

Much better quality than the fleece materials you get now.

inkster
    Free Member

Thompson seat post.

Berghaus socks.

RobinL

Parrot showerproof pull-on, always in my pack and used regularly. I must have bought it close on 25 years ago.

I actually have 2, but the more ‘modern’ one is purple ( as was the favoured colour at the time ), that one never really makes it back out of the drawer due to the colour !

Parrot did get taken over by Daleswear in Ingleton but I believe they have closed a while ago as well.

anagallis_arvensis

I have some original Hope Mini’s, not the mono ones, still on my main mtb which is a Rock Lobster 853 bought in about 2001 I think. The hope xc hubs had their first bearing change about 2 years ago, although the rear axle did snap quite early on in life, it was replaced foc.
    I have a mar whisper light Stove too that will still be working long after I’m dead too.

temudgin

Magura Marta brakes from 2006/7 never needed bleeding in all this time and have been used regularly each week.

Hope bottom bracket 14 years of spinning – still going strong!

scuttler

2015 Thomson Elite dropper, lives behind a dirt flap, new cables and that’s it.

2011? MW80 winter boots. No issues.

M647 pedals abused and unmaintained.

2010 Endura Stealth soft shell, well looked after but of the dependable Endura vintage.

dawson

I’ve killed a couple of pairs of M520 pedals – they only lasted about 2 years. The plastic body around the axle wears out, leading to loads of play.

Moved to M540’s and they are much better.

jam-bo

Finally retired and sent on a burning boat to Valhalla

that was what I saw floating down the river earlier.

ransos
    Free Member

Any Shimano SPD pedals

I have a Deore DX set from about 1993. I thought I’d killed one when I smacked it hard into a rock, bending the cage. I bent it back with a screwdriver, seems to be fine.

jp-t853

gobuchul
    Free Member

Is it the original “Polartec” branded fabric?

Just got it out to look at the labels.
    Made in UK
    08/12/1992
    Original Polartec series 100, amazing quality. Clearly a million miles away from any post Sports Direct Karrimor.

richmtb

Yeah Shimano SPDs for sure. Bought a set of 959s in 2004, they were the first really nice component I had. Still use them on my trainer bike. I think I cleaned the spindle and wiped a bit of grease across them in about 2008!

cheese@4p

My 2010 spec Turner 5 spot. Still a great bike despite being so outdated in terms of geometry, wheel size Marzochi Bomber fork etc. Minimal servicing done. I can’t buy a modern bike until it breaks.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Same with the Hope Mono Minis.. now doing service on my OnOne Big Dog

Mine still work as well as the day I got them. They were crap in 2003 and they are still crap now.

I have four Paramo mountain shirts which are over 20 years old. I wear them to work, I wear them on mountains, I wear them on the bike. They’ve been covered with mud, saltwater, manure and after washing still look like brand new ones. Utterly brilliant and unkillable.

trailmonkey

520s circa 2005 ish, now on the commuter, veterans of at least one Alps trip and adorned just about every bike I’ve owned since I’ve had them

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Kit that just wont die’ is closed to new replies.