Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)
  • Kit Kat
  • daveh
    Free Member

I’m hoping the nexus 5 has a better camera and bigger battery than the 4, those are the only 2 things I can critise the nexus 4 for.

stumpy01

daveh – Member
    I’m hoping the nexus 5 has a better camera and bigger battery than the 4, those are the only 2 things I can critise the nexus 4 for.

Expandable/more memory…?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Holy outdated telephones Batman, I’m still on gingerbread on an original HTC Desire.

I have yet to see any real features that would warrant an upgrade TBH. Most of the updates seem to be cosmetic fiddling.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m still on gingerbread on an original HTC Desire.

I have yet to see any real features that would warrant an upgrade TBH.

Bigger screen, better resolution, faster processor?

miketually
    Free Member

Expandable/more memory…?

I don’t think any Nexus device will ever have expandable data storage.

miketually
    Free Member

Holy outdated telephones Batman, I’m still on gingerbread on an original HTC Desire.

I have yet to see any real features that would warrant an upgrade TBH. Most of the updates seem to be cosmetic fiddling.

I went from a Wildfire to a galaxy Nexus; it’s loads better.

Android Jelly Bean was the point where is caught/overtook iOS as an OS.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

I knew a guy called Doughnut.

But he was really a bit of a fanny.
    Funny that, because I knew a guy called Fanny.
    And was a bit of a doughnut.

Sent from here

CountZero

Houns – Member
    Yes, android owners are far less uptight. It comes with a quiet resignation that we all have

😆

thepurist

CZ – looks like your autocorrect is playing up again 🙂

Sent from Send, near Woking

LenHankie

am bo – Member
    i knew a girl at school known as KitKat.

Two fingers or four? 😉

daveh
    Free Member

Expandable/more memory…?

Not too much. Maybe I’m less demanding than the average user but I have 4gb free ATM, introducing a sd card usually also comes which the faff of managing things across 2 storage areas. And of course there’s always that there cloud.

footflaps

And of course there’s always that there cloud.

Unless it’s sunny, in which case there are no clouds…..

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Unless of course, you are beyond wifi range, or want to store your data privately, in a resillient form you can keep with you and connect directly to other devices…

The potential customer is always right.

Is the release daste confirmed? There is the usual frenzy of often innaccurate internet speculation; some, if not all as a result of Google’s publicity machine. It’s just another p1ss off. Just release the expletive deleted software when it is ready; no teasing BS.

daveh
    Free Member

Press conference tomorrow I believe but no confirmed info on content.

Jamie
    Free Member

…no confirmed info on content.

I imagine some kind of chocolate covered wafer.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I went from a Wildfire to a galaxy Nexus; it’s loads better.

Android Jelly Bean was the point where is caught/overtook iOS as an OS

If I was still running HTC sense in the Desire’s original form, I’d agree – it was toss.

But…

Desire’s physical size (+ camera & screen res) is fine. I’m not into games on phones, so faster processor? meh. I’m rooted, running a custom ROM, and have repartitioned both the internal storage + SD card to give about 3gb app storage, so no issues there.

So what would a kitkat OS get me? google now, some camera tweeks, gesture typing? Most of all that is available with apps. Rearranged settings? meh. Different launcher? I use (& like) ADW, which does a lot of the homescreen functionality. data use monitor? get it in an app.

Meh, I say.

But I’d never be able to do any of that on an apple phone, so for that reason, android rocks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I knew a few – Chunky….

jamiep
    Free Member

FYI At my secondary school in the early 90s there was a KitKat vending machine (like a condom machine) which sold FIVE finger bars for 20p. True story

retro83
    Free Member

mrmonkfinger – Member
    If I was still running HTC sense in the Desire’s original form, I’d agree – it was toss.

But…

Desire’s physical size (+ camera & screen res) is fine. I’m not into games on phones, so faster processor? meh. I’m rooted, running a custom ROM, and have repartitioned both the internal storage + SD card to give about 3gb app storage, so no issues there.

So what would a kitkat OS get me? google now, some camera tweeks, gesture typing? Most of all that is available with apps. Rearranged settings? meh. Different launcher? I use (& like) ADW, which does a lot of the homescreen functionality. data use monitor? get it in an app.

Meh, I say.

But I’d never be able to do any of that on an apple phone, so for that reason, android rocks.

What app gives you Google Now functionality? It is not just the voice command, the cards are brilliant, especially if you travel regularly.
    It knows about flights you have booked, gives you traffic warnings about journeys you are going to do, gives you various useful bits of info. I was cynical but it’s a killer feature for me now.

miketually
    Free Member

A lot of those features are on Jelly Bean, without messing about with apps and custom ROMs 🙂

For KK, there’s talk of a more memory efficient core which would reduce demand on RAM and therefore make it possible to use on older phones.

toppers3933
    Free Member

The last kit Kat I had was all chocolate. One of the fingers had a small bit of wafer in it. Felt like I’d won the lottery. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was cynical but it’s a killer feature for me now.

It still can’t decide where I work, it keeps telling me how long to the LBS!!

but it is good and now has proper football too.

Yet another feature for Apple to invent….

verses

MrMonkFinger – If you can live with the processor speed and ROM stability then you’re spot on.

I had a Desire which I’d hacked about with in pretty much the same ways as you. When my contract ended (mid last year) I took a minor upgrade to the Galaxy S2; in some ways it’s better, but in others it’s not, the main one being battery life.

While I like having a faster CPU and a slightly larger screen (it’s the same resolution as the Desire so not much better overall) it’s at the cost of battery life which is a pain.

The main problem I had with the Desire was stability; although the ROMs let me do lots of cools stuff it was usually at the expense of stability (random reboots when using GPS etc).

I’ve not (yet) rooted/ROM’d the S2 so that might improve things, but I don’t want to risk a loss of stability.

verses

I’ve not found the Google Now cards to be useful at all, in fact they started to annoy me with their constant notifications…

– Telling me how slow traffic is moving on my 1 mile cycle ride to work isn’t much use.
    – A near-permanent notification telling me the weather forecast becomes annoying.

I’m possibly not their target market though as I don’t travel much or like football and am happy to search for information when I need it rather than when my phone thinks I need it (which appears to be every 20s).

clubber
    Free Member

If you go to the google now start page and then settings (three dots at the bottom) then places, it’ll show you home and work (and by the sounds of it, your LBS – you must go there a lot 🙂 ) which you can edit.

clubber
    Free Member

And you can turn the notifications off so you only see the ones you want or not at all unless you actually pull up google now.

Mine just reminded me to check in online so it’s saved me some hassle at the airport later today…

miketually
    Free Member

I like that Now always tells me how to get home 🙂

It needs to better integrate UK public transport though, as I don’t drive or fly. Or how to get to anywhere I’ve looked up on Google Maps recently.

The integration of Calendar appointments and reminders from Keep is useful too, though they’re all just pulling me further and further into all my data being owned by Google.

clubber
    Free Member

It needs to better integrate UK public transport though

It’s getting there slowly – they do offer bike (which is in beta) and public transport options somewhere in the settings IIRC – possibly in google maps.

they’re all just pulling me further and further into all my data being owned by Google.

Yeah, that’s the payback. Other foil hats are available 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s the payback. Other foil hats are available 🙂

They do seem very good at letting me take my data back and play with it elsewhere though. When they closed Reader, it was painless to move to Feedly. I synched my music from my laptop with Play Music last night and a ‘download my music’ option was very clearly visible, rather than hidden away somewhere.

stumpy01

retro83 – Member

What app gives you Google Now functionality? It is not just the voice command, the cards are brilliant, especially if you travel regularly.
    It knows about flights you have booked, gives you traffic warnings about journeys you are going to do, gives you various useful bits of info. I was cynical but it’s a killer feature for me now.

Meh. I don’t travel a lot anymore and admittedly for that it might be useful. But, I don’t find Google Now very useful at all.
    It was quite amusing a couple of weeks ago with a mate trying to find what our phones could do through voice commands (he’s got an iPhone, I’ve to an Android Sony).
    But for real-time use. Not sure it gives me anything extra.

clubber
    Free Member

I like that it tells me if traffic is particularly bad on my way to/from work so that I can choose a different route.

But no, it’s not going to change your life or make you more attractive to the opposite sex. It’d need to be an Apple app for people to believe that 😉

andytherocketeer

Airline sends me an email 24hours beforehand with a link to check-in online. Failing to see how that direct from the airline is inferior to Google Now reminding me to check in online.

Both the airline I usually use (both personally and when booked thru work), and bahn.de send me a .ics when I book too, so that goes in the calendar too.

Don’t need any of the Sports (loathe footy anyway), TV, Movies, etc. reminders.

My local transport app tells me where I am, what buses/trams come next (so does turning my head and looking at the electronic display), how to get to the nearest tram stop, and can even scan the QR code on the ticket machines to set start location. Both that and bahn.de app let me buy the ticket in app.

^^all that on Gingerbread.

But Google Now does look interesting, assuming it can seamlessly integrate with Deutsche Bahn, Lufthansa, Swiss, BA etc.

clubber
    Free Member

My airline didn’t email me…

Anyway, I’m not trying to sell it to you. If it doesn’t work for you, never mind…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

if google now is the only thing I can’t get, and the jury’s out on it anyway, I don’t think I’m that worried about upgrading.

@ verses: I ended up reflashing the radio driver once, after first flashing CM7. That sorted GPS. Otherwise the CM7 rom is as stable as the HTC one IME.

retro83
    Free Member

mrmonkfinger – Member

if google now is the only thing I can’t get, and the jury’s out on it anyway, I don’t think I’m that worried about upgrading.

@ verses: I ended up reflashing the radio driver once, after first flashing CM7. That sorted GPS. Otherwise the CM7 rom is as stable as the HTC one IME.

I think you’d find if you spent a little bit of time using a Nexus 4 or similar that you’d suddenly find the HTC Desire a little bit limiting. Having a high enough resolution screen not to need constant zooming in and out on websites, a decent camera, immediate app switching etc. Just a nicer experience. I kept my Galaxy S running CM for a long time for the same reasons as you’re keeping yours, and it was fine but the modern phones really are a massive step forward in just about every aspect. Battery life the possible exception.

verses

Battery life the possible exception.

Every time a new phone is launched with the boast of “we’ve made it x% thinner”, I want to shout “IT WAS THIN ENOUGH, WHY NOT KEEP IT THE OLD THICKNESS AND USE THE SAVED SPACE FOR EXTRA BATTERY!!!”… Aaaand relax…

verses: I ended up reflashing the radio driver once

I did try a couple of different radios but never had any luck with them.

miketually
    Free Member

At least with most Android phones it is possible to buy a second battery, so you can double the battery life 🙂

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

@retro83

yup, browsing is definitely better on a bigger screen, but I don’t do a lot of browsing – I mostly use a laptop for that.

but when this phone does finally die I shall be purchasing something with a mahoosive screen, and will probably ditch the aging laptop at the same time.

@ verses

I did try a couple of different radios but never had any luck with them

I think there were a few different hardware revisions of the desire and with the GPS, “results varied”. I guess I got lucky…

scotroutes

Not just me then 😆

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I disabled Google Now. I don’t want it reasing my email or search history, I don’t want constantly annoying cards, and I’m not the sort of person who hands-off organising my life to an aop.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Kit Kat’ is closed to new replies.