Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Kirroughtree – 7stanes – Worth a Visit? Places to Stay?
  • johnski15
    Free Member

Hey up,

Not had the chance to ride over at Kirroughtree, been to Inners, Glen and Ae but not as far west at Dumfries.

Is it worth a go? Looking at the photos and reviews red/black looks a good day!

Also, would need some accommodation as I’m travelling up from Yorkshire. Any positive experiences/recommendations in that department?

Cheers,

John

shoogly
    Free Member

Great ride. Probably my favourite of the 7stanes. The singletrack is a joy, and there’s plenty techy stuff to enjoy as well. Ride Mabie as well.

Dogsby

That side of the Stanes is excellent in my view. Mabie, Dalbeattie and Kirroughtree are well worth the trip. I have an MTB friendly cottage 15 mins from Mabie and Dalbeattie and about an hour from Kirroughtree if that’s of use depending on how many folk and when.

Dogsby

fifeandy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t travel all the way from yorkshire just for Kirroughtree, but several stanes are close together so you could easily add Dalbettie and/or Mabie to your trip too.

ChrisL

Kirroughtree is definitely worth a visit. I generally stay at the Conifers lodges in Minnigaff/Newton Stewart, they’re pretty good value if you’re not going in the high season and there’s a few of you going.

prawny

As above Kirri is a great centre I love Mabie too.

Plenty of decent places to stay and plenty of riding to be done depending on how long you’re staying. Mabie, Kirri, Drumlanrig and Dalbeattie are all good fun. I encourage a family holiday up there at least once a year for selfish reasons

johnski15
    Free Member

Great.

I’m going. Heard positive reviews about this:

Kings Arms Hotel Castle Douglas

Anyone been?

RicB

The premier inn is uber cheap and bike friendly- we got a twin room for £40 per night (ie £20ea).

johnski15
    Free Member

RicB – Member
    The premier inn is uber cheap and bike friendly- we got a twin room for £40 per night (ie £20ea).

Where’s the Premier Inn mate?

Thanks

km79
    Free Member

Nearest premier inn is in Dumfries.

RicB

Dumfries.

Premier inns are always a safe bet- bikes in the room overnight, good breakfast and pub next door.

Easiest way to do BPW too

We drive up to Kirroughs on the first day, drive back to Dumfries, then Dalbeattie and Mabie on the second day. Quicker to get home that way and short drive to the trails after breakfast

Edit- Kirroughs is the best of the 7 stanes imo. One day I’ll clean the mcmoab loop, came sooo close last time!

somafunk

Kings arms in Castle Douglas is owned and ran by an mtb’r, you also have sulwath brewery within staggering distance and there is 3 good bike shops within 150yards.

johnski15
    Free Member

I always use Prem Inn when I’m at BPW…. It’s sound for £39 for a twin room!!

Defo off to Kirroughtree now!

MoreCashThanDash

Kirroughtree is great. Great bike shop as well.

If you have an extra hour, pop a bit further up the road to Glentrool. Not techy by any stretch but the blue apparently has the longest descent of any of the Stanes. I kept grinning for ages afterwards.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Depends on how long you’re staying and how many are with you – this place is a) great, b) 2 mins up the road from Dalbeattie and pretty much slap-bang in the middle of all the 7 Stanes.

http://kippfordcottages.co.uk/

Oh, and David the owner is a top, top fella too.

+1 on Kirroughtree – it’s defo one of my favourite Red routes/trail centres.

MoreCashThanDash

We went up as a family and stayed here

Steading Cottage Kirkmabreck

Great cottage, great views, big secure outbuilding for bikes

fifeandy
    Free Member

Great.

I’m going. Heard positive reviews about this:

Kings Arms Hotel Castle Douglas

Anyone been?

Yes, its where I stayed when I went.
    Staff were friendly, room was fine, dinner was average – but nothing to complain about, breakfast was good.
    Would happily go back again.

retrobri
    Free Member

Excellent place and my go to ride when I’m with family in Prestwick. Bit technical in places on the black, well for me anyway!

joelowden

Don’t go this weekend …Galloway Hills rally on . Sections are closed off for Saturday ..

mindmap3
    Free Member

Kirroughtree is brilliant. Loved the black – Ae was a huge come down the next day!

We rented a bothy at Gorsebank which wasn’t too far plus Dalbeattie was just up the road.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Surprised there is so much love for Kirroughtree I didn’t really enjoy it that much on my Transition Scout think it would have been fun on an XC bike. I enjoyed Mabie a lot but GT and Inners (golf course especially) are where I would go unless you have done a lot of non trail centre stuff already.

dryroasted
    Free Member

To get the most out of kirroughtree i think you really need a hard tail or shorter travel full suss,

wwpaddler
    Free Member

I’ve stayed here before. Good value, short rents available and convenient for all the stanes in that part of the world.

http://www.barncrosh.co.uk/

Gary_M
    Free Member

We rented a bothy at Gorsebank which wasn’t too far plus Dalbeattie was just up the road

Do you know you can access the trails directly from Gorsebank. Just head up to the top of the site, through a field, along a nice bit of singletrack and it brings you out on the blue boardwalk section

Blueadvocate
    breadcrumb

When we’ve been to kirroughtree we’ve just camped nearby.

The midges will have you though!

It’s one of the best trail centres around IMO.

crapjumper
    Free Member

We Stayed at gorsebank twice to do some of the stanes. Once in the bigger bothy and once in a wigwam and both times were excellent

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Kirroughtree – 7stanes – Worth a Visit? Places to Stay?’ is closed to new replies.