Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Kings of Leon v Killers
  • jaminb
    Free Member

Just enjoyed a very long tube ride (train strike) listening to a playlist of their greatest hits. Can’t believe they have both been knocking around for 20 years!

Any strong preference? Any modern day equivalent for 2020 listening ?

ads678

Both living off 1 or 2 decent tracks from about 10 years ago IMO.

muzz
    Free Member

Kings of Leon’s first three albums are excellent IMO.

CheesybeanZ

Killers- possibly one of the worst gigs I’ve been to. Awful vocals.
    First couple of Kings albums were great

mrb123
    Free Member

Early KOL were far superior to The Killers IMO.

CraigW
    Free Member

The Killers have done some fun Christmas songs.

DezB
    Free Member

Bland pop-rock v blander rock-pop. **** hard decision.

Merak

Kings of Leon’s first three albums are excellent IMO.

Agreed. Everything thereafter not so much.

The Killers are the had the quintessential first album which they patently, duly followed up with absolute dross for the next 20 years.

Whether the KOL were fabricated as rumours suggested by a record co at the time is by the by. The first album was sublime.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

The killers were cringey in the Early 2k ‘indie’ scene

Kol on the other hand were absolutely amazing for the first 3 albums, they were utterly brilliant live

If you’ve only heard sex on fire (shite just like every killers song) and think that’s Kol and what they are about, then you are sadly mistaken

Kol of old were absolutely awesome almost ruined by their commercial success of that song

Still the first 3 albums are amazing and still one of mmy best gigs of all time in the heyday

Comparing them other than the time line is criminal

wukfit
    Free Member

Milk by KOL always has a special place in my heart, but their first 2 albums were great! I owned their 3rd and maybe their 4th but I can’t remember it so probably didn’t bother
    Slightly more recent… I loved the vaccines first album (what did you expect from the vaccines), a couple of tracks of their second and haven’t heard anything of their more recent

perchypanther
    Free Member

I got pants but I’m not a panther

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Conversely saw kings of leon headline at Reading, they were just rubbish, think they got booed of in the end and left in a strop.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I got ham but I’m not a hamster

winston
    Free Member

I got past but I’m not a pasty (Jelly was a friend of mine)

shermer75
    Free Member

Went to a gig at the Garage in London bitd, KoL were supporting not that long before that started to get well known. I remember at one point during main act wondering who let a bunch of 12 year old kids in…yep, it was Kings of Leon

ransos
    Free Member

Bland pop-rock v blander rock-pop. **** hard decision.

They committed the heinous crime of being popular.

Anyways, Molly’s Chambers off the KoL first album. Absolutely brilliant.

hammy7272
    Free Member

I agree first three KOL albums were class. I watched them around the country just after youth and young manhood and they were really good live.

I first saw them at Manchester Academy and they walked through the crowd onto the stage! No barriers and it was wild. Could hardly see owt though due the plumes of weed smoke!

Killers for me were not as good.

leeroysilk
    Free Member

KOL started out as a low key (very good) Garage Rock band then came to a cross roads in their career: stay true to your roots or become the biggest band in the world, unfortunately for the music they took the second option. The Sex on Fire tour was possibly the worst show I’ve ever been to. No energy from the band, a male heavy, padded gilet wearing crowd that chatted constantly until KOL played Sex on Fire. At which point the arena erupted to sweaty gilet wearing men dancing their heads off, and after it had finished saying it was the best gig they’d ever been to! Not listened to any KOL since.

theotherjonv

I got Soul but I’m not a Kia dealer

I got sole but I’m not a fishmonger

I got soles but I’m not a cobbler

etc.

sadexpunk

seen both bands as support bands back in the day, so had no idea at the time that theyd become so big.

KOL supporting the Music at bridlington, shamefully didnt take much notice of them but listened to their album afterwards and really liked it so feel like i missed a trick there. agree with pretty much all thats been said, early ‘non-famous’ stuff is great, as an arena band meh.

saw killers supporting british sea power above a pub in lincoln. thought they were crap then and still do 😀 the wrong band got bigger IMHO, but there again if BSP got the success, this thread would now probably be ‘Kings of Leon vs British Sea Power’ 😀

richardkennerley

I remember seeing a little picture of KOL in kerrang or NME saying “ones to watch” or the like. I thought they look a bit like lynyrd skynryd, probably worth a shot. Early stuff was right up my street at the time. Then a couple of years later they looked they got sponsored by Topman.

They played the empress ballroom supporting The Music, but no one had heard of them so no one would come with me!

As for the killers, I’ve always thought they pulled the wool over everyone’s eyes with mr.brightside. it became the indie disco anthem but the rest of the stuff is bloody awful.

DezB
    Free Member

They committed the heinous crime of being popular.

Is that your opinion, or are you ‘correcting’ mine? Weird either way.

Anyways, Molly’s Chambers off the KoL first album. Absolutely brilliant. Quite good. The world needs more quite good pop-rock.

ransos
    Free Member

Anyways, Molly’s Chambers off the KoL first album. Absolutely brilliant. Quite good. The world needs more quite good pop-rock.

Garage, punk and bluegrass influences certainly feature on that album. “Pop rock”? Not really.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As for the killers, I’ve always thought they pulled the wool over everyone’s eyes with mr.brightside. it became the indie disco anthem

Damn bands making popular catchy songs with enduring popularity that take soon to be middle aged men back to the days of being too skinny and bouncing arround in indie clubs.

By far the worst thing to happen to music. Real music should be challenging to listen to and only alone, in headphones and off vinyl.

On that note, Jimmy Eat World, really want them to make another good album, but its kinda felt like the time for a greatest hits tour was 10 years ago. Kudos to them for still turning out albums though rather than just retiring on the royalties from The Middle.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Kings of Leon v Killers’ is closed to new replies.