Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Kings Alfred’s Way gravel bike ..
  • jameso

Get cracking. Pinnacle ramin homage, steel obv. Full rack mounts. Modern geo (67° Head angle,17″ reach on a medium.75° seat tube. ) Like a Nordest Sardinha but without the import duties. I’ll even forgo my usual commission, just sort me out a discount on the first run.

Ha… Find me a business backer and I’ll put the bikes I’ve been sampling in the last couple of years into production. You might not like the numbers but they ride great.

jameso

They do don’t they?

CUK-GPX/route linky

Under “type of bike” it says “mountain bike” and they sort of recommend an MTB in the description without ruling out Gravel (or indeed touring) bikes…

I probably should have said Guy K and GCN rather than the rather sensible CUK. They do have MTB on the rhs info box, in the main info I scrolled past about 5 images of people on gravel bikes before I got to
    A conventional touring bike will probably survive if you ride carefully, but a gravel bike or hybrid with 35mm or wider tyres and low ratio gears will be a more confident and comfortable choice. A cross country/trail style mountain bike certainly isn’t overkill either, and would be the preferred option during the wetter, muddier seasons.

They’re not wrong anyway, based on all the opinions on this thread.

whitestone
    Free Member

We did come across a lad on a Boardman road bike! He was quite a way along a track but didn’t look like he was intending to ride further.

oldnpastit

I used to live near the ridgeway in the days before mountain bikes had been thought of. Occasionally I would try to ride it on 27″ x 1.1/4″ tyres. It was always very unpleasant.

Now when I visit my dad, I ride it on a 29er with 2.25″ tyres and occasionally marvel at just how much faster and more capable it is.

I have also ridden bits of it on my 700c 25mm road bike in the rain. That is sketchy as anything. Don’t do that.

anagallis_arvensis

Doing this in July, I expect on my gravel bike. It has 20mm of travel on the front 😀😀😜.
    Wondering if I need the inner fly for my tent or will I be eaten alive, any thoughts anyone?

TheGingerOne

If you don’t have rack mounts, there’s always the Tailfin X series pannier rack

https://www.tailfin.cc/product/pannier-racks/x-series-pannier-rack/

p7eaven
    Free Member

@cromolyolly

Genesis Longitude (M) close but half inch out on reach and then the seat tube drops the cigar?

FRAME SEAT TUBE 445mm
    FRAME TOP TUBE 610mm
    FRAME REACH 420mm
    FRAME STACK 626mm
    FRAME HEAD TUBE 135mm
    FRAME HEAD ANGLE 68°
    FRAME SEAT ANGLE 71°

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Another HT fan here, did KAW last October on 29er HT with conti race kings 2.0 and it was fine apart from the wet chalk. Friend on a gravel bike did not enjoy himself and was slower on all but the road bits. His take was why am I on a bike which is better on the road bits, not the best bits?

cromolyolly
    Free Member

@p7eaven – I’ve gone back and forth on the Longitude. A few years back I really fancied one. Then I didn’t. Not sure why. It’s a bit weighty, the seat tube angle is a bit odd, putting a short travel fork on it might be iffy, and the geo is odd – the Medium would do me nicely in most respects except the standove is nearly 32″ – on a medium. For me thats the same shortcoming as my house when I want to dance – no ballroom.

But I might yet. I do like the Kona Unit, Breezer Thunder and Nordest but I think only the Nordest has the mounts.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Ha… Find me a business backer and I’ll put the bikes I’ve been sampling in the last couple of years into productio

I smell the first ever singletrackforumgrouobuybike. Like the t-shirts only rideable. Marketing pics with grass, fence and patio that needs sorting, natch. I’ll chip in the first £200 but I get to name it. I’m leaning towards Ill! Slogan – we’ll actually deliver.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Its already happening….

This was posted on the KAW facebook group today

Hi, given that wild camping is illegal in England, does the official guide give advice on it? Where I live near Bramshill, more people using the forest has resulted in a depressingly large increase in litter and human excrement, so my opinion of humans in the countryside has plummeted.
    Since the KAW (and wild camping on it) has been so popular, how have people found it? Is it ‘leave no trace’ or crap everywhere!

cookeaa

I’ve been leafing through the official guide and it does include towns/villages with campsites on the facilities table (pages 92 & 93). There’s not masses but you could plan a 2 or 3 dayer around stopping at ‘legal’ campsites. The guide makes no mention of wild camping that I could see so CUK are giving a “responsible steer” towards more conventional accomodation.

On top of that, Bramshill (mentioned in the FB comment above) is pretty close to Wellington country park, which has a woodland campsite (apparently re-opened mid-April).

I think given the fact you’ll be trundling about semi-rural Berkshire and Hampshire, discrete wild camping is inevitably going to be harder. There’s lots of grumpy old duffers down this way. But also don’t shit in the woods (and leave it there), you’re not a bear…

whitestone
    Free Member

Not sure there’s anything specific about wild camping in the guide but there is on the site: https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/king-alfreds-way-faq#wild-camping which has a link to https://www.cyclinguk.org/wildcamping neither mentions toil duties.

cookeaa

Hmmm, that’s problematic then.

I’m quite keen on squeezing KAW into a long weekend sometime this summer, but I think I’ll either be ‘legal’ campsite camping and/or possibly being lazy and doing a B&B perhaps. I’m not fancying conflicts with locals TBH

Cheezpleez

It’s entirely possible to wild camp discreetly and responsibly at loads of places on the route. If you do it right no one will ever know you were there. It’s people who don’t do it right that will cause, and experience, conflict with the locals.

whitestone
    Free Member

+1 to this. We wild camped for three nights and unless you actually saw us camping you wouldn’t know we had been there. No litter, no fires and we scurried the grass/leaves before leaving so there wasn’t the telltale tent “footprint”.

The troublesome section is between Goring and Fliss. Away from that it’s much less populated so easier to camp

anagallis_arvensis

Where is Fliss, we are hoping to do 3 nights starting in Reading, think somewhere beyond Petersfield for first night, that’s about 200km from Reading, although some regular campsites are around that area, not going to wildcamp if a campsite with a shower and bog is nearby

singletrackmind

Petersfield is on the sdw section, well a few km off. Lots of bits of woodland to use on the trail itself. You may meed to go 100mtr for spme seclusion, find a flat area, get away from the dog shiite.
    Lots of corners of feilds as well.
    A few pop up campsites were in operation last weekend, both i saw maybe a 10mim ride away. Meon springs fishery might also have a camping feild its en rpute, plus cafe iirc.

singletrackmind

Edit
    Holden farm at cheriton looks ok. Ace brew pub nearby, not far from the sdw at all.
    Quiet village location too.

curto80
    Free Member

Reading – Petersfield is more like 125km ish if you’re following the KAW

oldnpastit

There is the youth hostel at Wantage/letcombe. Not sure if open yet, but is right on the ridge way.

Tim
    Free Member

A 29er with fast rolling tyres are super quick on the road surface too so not sure why they have fallen out of fashion.

Fashion

Gravel bikes are the latest ‘thing’ (before that it was plus bikes, before that it was fat bikes). I wait to see what the next niche will be.

I do see the appeal behind them, but their use case over a CX bike or XC bike seems extremely limited.

anagallis_arvensis

Reading – Petersfield is more like 125km ish if you’re following the KAW

Yeah just saw that, fat fingers, I meant to say 100km…no way am I doing 200km in a day!!

whitestone
    Free Member

Fliss is just before Petersfield.

Gravel bikes do make sense out in the mid-west of the States where you’ve hundreds of kilometres of gravel roads. Can make sense here but many seem to be road bikes with a bit more tyre clearance – I tested one, the gearing was ridiculous for off-road use.

anagallis_arvensis

Gravel bikes are great, just a different challenge needing a different attitude. Can never understand why people get so upset by others riding them.

curto80
    Free Member

God knows there’s enough threads on this forum about whether gravel bikes are great or rubbish without this turning into another one.

anagallis_arvensis

True

pete68
    Free Member

Not all gravel bikes are the same. Surely get one with the tyre clearance and gearing that suits the riding you do. Mine has relatively big tyres and low gearing as its used more off road, but others I know have ones that are little more than beefed up road bikes. Horse for courses.

singletrackmind

Anotber potential is The Milburys, pub pub on the sdw. Were allowing campervans to use the feild next to the pub for while.
    Might be worth a phone call, given the KAW popularity any landlord not cashing in on the lucrative trend setting gravel market, with potential of dozens of overnight stoppers all eating and drinking, would be mad

dovebiker

The Millburys pub has been used for bike race HQ so they’re used to lots of smelly folks in Lycra 🤪

john_l
    Free Member

Fliss is just before Petersfield.

Do you mean “Liss”?

whitestone
    Free Member

Quite likely- no wonder we never found it 😀

robcolliver
    Free Member

TD folk manage with rigid bikes to go fast and have less breakages – many lose the feelings in their hands for a few weeks after getting to the ‘Wells. I was happy on a FS but was never getting below 21 days, so comfort counts for me. I did the KAW on the Tallboy last season and was very happy to have the boing around me…… going to get the double done this summer on the same machine once I can get the weather, legs and a support crew lined up my other half can’t safely drive n crew for long enough to get a 48 hour in the bag.

StuE
    Free Member

Wild camping and bike packing in general is not my thing so me and my OH did the KAW over 4 days with Rough ride guides,staying in pubs/hotels,I was on my Orange Segment and she was on her 20 year old Giant nrs,we had a fantastic time and we want to do it again to see some of the sites we missed
    https://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/King-Alfreds-Way-Supported-Events—New-September-date-and-last-few-remaining-places-in-June

hopster
    Free Member

I completed the route on my SS gravel bike with 38mm tyres. Coming from a mountain bike background, I found the descents fun and challenging in places. I could have cleaned more of the climbs on my geared bike, but it’s nice to get off and take in the countryside sometimes.

I wouldn’t use a mtn bike on the route, for me, it’s simply not technical enough to warrant the extra weight and lack of hand positions. I completed the route over 3 days and cycled to the start from Bristol along a mostly traffic free route to Devizes. Took it at a leisurely pace and stopped in plenty of pubs for ‘refreshments’, inc the rather lovely one at the top of “the Devil’s punchbowl”.

ransos
    Free Member

I start the KAW on Thursday, and am taking my Giant Anthem. I’ve fitted Nobby Nics for fast rolling and will run higher pressures in the tyres and shocks than usual. I could’ve taken the Arkose but I’m not in a hurry so I’m sure I’ll appreciate the extra comfort. Plus I can divert and do a lap at the QE bike park.

anagallis_arvensis

I completed the route on my SS gravel

Did you camp or bivvy?

hopster
    Free Member

Did you camp or bivvy?

I wild camped the first night and then stayed in the the Travel Inn the second night as I knew I’d have the long day at the end. Lovely Indian takeaway that delivers in Winchester. 😊

curto80
    Free Member

@hopster

Awesome endurance, especially on a SS. What gearing did you use?

hopster
    Free Member

Awesome endurance, especially on a SS. What gearing did you use?

38×17 is the gear I normally run, but with luggage a swap the 17t to a 18t cog.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Kings Alfred’s Way gravel bike ..’ is closed to new replies.