Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • King Headset scoring: fact or myth?
  • GrumpyDave
    Free Member

This is for those who have first hand experience of Chris King headsets, so please no hearsay or conjecture.
    Have you had the headset scoring the fork steerer tube?
    Did you have the headtube faced before installation?
    Did this occur on a steel or aluminium steerer?

sheldona
    Free Member

I’ve got 4 bikes with Chris King Headsets and never seen an issue with scoring. One of the steerers is a carbon one too. None are what you’d call long travel either.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

yes
    yes
    aluminium steerer, 160mm forks

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

never happened with 100mm or 130mm forks though and those 160mm forks are fairly heavily ridden

nickc

Never had it happen to me. Same CK headset on a Reba (ali steerer) and a Thor (again ali steerer). Headsets been used on 3 bikes, and never faced any of the headtubes.

Don’t doubt it happens, don’t know whether I’m convinced that it’s a failure of King’s design though.

Jenga
    Free Member

Yes
    Yes
    Aluminium Pikes 140mm

Reluctant
    Free Member

Yes, yes , aluminium steerer on several forks , mainly 100mm travel Rockshox. Saw this happen regularly back when i was a shop mechanic.

davey_clayton
    Free Member

It’s never happened to me on 130mm forks on XC bike or 200mm triples on freeride bike (same headset). I don’t know if it’s happened to my jump bike but my handlebars haven’t snapped off yet, so that’s OK.

marty
    Free Member

Yes. Yes. Alu.

Gordymac
    Free Member

Yes on both my bikes, Turner 5 spot with Pikes & Chromag Samurai with Pikes.
    Yes they were both faced.
    Aluminium steerers on both (Pike 454 u-turn) Don’t really run them above 130mm, only very occasionally are they wound out to the full 140mm.

Now ditched the Kings on both bikes and running Cane Creek S8s with no problems whatsoever.

mangoridebike

happened to me too – quite badly on a set of RC40 Fighters and starting on a set of Marz AMSLs before I got rid of it

Daffy

Yes, Yes, Alu 150mm

Yes, Yes, Alu 130mm

chimpymcchimp

Yes
    No
    Alu 150mm

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I have 3 CK headsets and none of them have scored the steerer, 2 of the bikes have had the headtube faced the other not. All steerers alu.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

Yes, Yes, Alu 140mm

Yes, Yes, Alu 130mm

Won’t run a king on more than 100mm travel now.

zokes
    Free Member

No
    No

One is a cotic with 130mm revelations

The other is a whyte with 150 mm Mavericks, which I guess is a safe bet, seeing as they don’t have a steerer as such to start with….

ski
    Free Member

Used CK with:

Reba’s 115mm
    Pace RC-31’s
    Marzocchi Bombers 115mm

on 3 differeent frames, never face, no scoring

adstick
    Free Member

Seen a few in the workshop. All with longer travel forks. Not seen any really deep scoring, but once it happens it means the top race of the headset stays ‘loose’. Wouldn’t use one myself, the original Ahead design is much better.

plecostomus
    Free Member

yes
    yes
    on my magura durin and sids 100mm
    seen it on longer travel forks also

twohats
    Free Member

Faced frame
    160mm forks
    3 years, no scoring, but then I’ve always been careful to make sure that there is grease between the top race and steerer.

solamanda
    Free Member

Have you had the headset scoring the fork steerer tube?

Yes

Did you have the headtube faced before installation?

Yes

Did this occur on a steel or aluminium steerer?

Steel

170mm travel

dave29
    Free Member

Yes
    Yes
    Alu

100mm

Is it really a problem? Mine have only ever been lightly scored….

naokfreek
    Free Member

yes
    yes

rs pikes alu steerer

crazy-legs

Yes and yes.
    On both carbon and alu steerer tubes.

It’s never been an issue, the scoring isn’t bad and it’s not affected the headset or fork in any way.

auricgoldfinger

No scoring, used on 3 frames, with travel up to 160mm.

However, I have found yesterday that the inside of the lower cup is heavily scored on the inside on one side. It appears my steerer has scored my King headset!

My LBS, also say they’ve never seen it (are a CK stockist)

Houns

Yep i have it, doesn’t bother me in the slightest..Was faced, 150mm alu steerer

And for those unlike tj who can’t see stress colours

Dibbs
    Free Member

If I was really worried about this I’d go out to the garage and strip one of my five (well one belongs to the wife really) CK equipped bikes to check for damage, but its cold out there and I can’t be arsed.
    Anyway is that really scoring or just cosmetic marking?

Houns

you can barely feel it with your nail

Dibbs
    Free Member

Does the mark line up with the o-ring in the top cap?

Houns

yep

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Took my Pikes off my hardtail on Sunday and can’t say I notices and scoring.

Can’t see it being an issue if it did. It’s not likely to eventually cut through is it!

Dibbs
    Free Member

I wonder if its due to dirt getting trapped between the o-ring and the steerer and marking the steerer if there’s a small amount of play present, the o-ring itself shouldn’t be hard enough to mark the steerer on its own.

Offroading
    Free Member

Got a CK, had it in two frames both faced, both fitted with either Reba’s 100mm or Revs 130mm. Both had badly scored tubes.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

when my fox forks got scored by the headset it was probably about half a mil deep. I was happy riding them up to a point, but once I realised it was continuing to grow, I binned the headset.

james-o
    Free Member

no issues on a carbon road steerer, regular use over 4 years. same fork, same headset, inspected a couple of times and all well and good.

“due to dirt getting trapped between the o-ring and the steerer and marking the steerer if there’s a small amount of play present”

it probably is…

adstick
    Free Member

Nope, the marking is normally the whole depth of the race, not just around where the o-ring fits. I’m not sure it will cause detrimental damage to the fork, but if left it definitely stops the headset working properly.

Question is, why would you buy a King when:
    -they have been shown to score steerer tubes
    -there is a better headset design out there
    -they cost 4 times more than a very good headset

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

not CK, but i had a set of manitou minutes i used in the peaks, those things were so flexible that the sterrers deflection brought it into contact with the cups!

Bruce

Several bikes all aluminium steerers all 100mm travel all scored all fitted by reputable bike shops, don’t buy them any more and use hope headsets which don’t score the steerer.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Yes
    No
    Aluminium Pikes

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’m yet to be convinced that this issue actually causes a risk of failure, so far I’ve only ever seen one photo of an alleged CK induced failure.
    You’d think with all these people reporting the so called problem, there’d be steerers failing left right and center

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘King Headset scoring: fact or myth?’ is closed to new replies.