Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Kinetics Bearing Toolkit
  • spooky_b329

I’ve got a 9 piece blind bearing removal slide hammer kit and a bearing press kit in my ebay basket for £100, but I really like the look of the Kinetics kit that has been out of stock for some time as its the only ‘non-bashing’ removal method I’ve seen.

https://www.kineticbikebearings.com/frame-pivot-bearing-removal-installation.html

I can’t find anything similar elsewhere…I can’t imagine the kit is exclusive to them but who knows? Whilst we are at it, are there any disadvantages to this non-violent bearing puller? Does it work on swoopy swingarms? Trying to press the new bearings into my wife’s swingarm required all sorts of bodgery as the inside edges were not flat and I could see it bending before I put a spacer in there!

Jordan

The RRP kits look quite good. RRP kit

endomick
    Free Member

I’ve got lucky with bearing and seal driver kits of ebay 11 and 17 piece kits for about £14. I’ve quite a collection of tubing to pull the bearings into instead of sockets, ranging from old chopped down seat posts,steerer tubes, stanchions to old alloy torches, I’ve used threaded rod with connector nuts to brace or bridge awkward gaps, not sure what you’re using wrapped in duct tape for support. There are people on Ebay like ultraturn who can machine alloy bits for you, I bought some bonnet spacers that were perfect for pressing a particular bearing.

spooky_b329

The taped up bit is a spark plug socket and some washers. I couldn’t thread them over the bar as the frame has a curved inner face!

I’ve gone through all my hubs etc and I don’t think I need that wide a range of bearing presses, but annoyingly most of my BBs (BB92, Hope Stainless, Problem Solvers PF30) seem to take a 24x37x7 bearing, and the RRP doesn’t have a kit to fit that. I could use the 6805 one backwards to press in the bearing, but I don’t think there is one suitable to push it out! (and if there was, that’d be two kits at £45 just for one bearing size, and £57 for the handles!

I don’t think the Kinetics one caters for that size either, explains why the bike shop struggled to get their blind puller to fit as they said it was undersized for the bearing.

roverpig

Hope sell some tools for their wheel and BB bearings. Not exactly presses but they work well in my experience.

binman

Agree with Roverpig, but you can use the Hope bearing tools with threaded rod / or bearing rod / handles which is easier.

ogden
    Free Member

braeview_engineering do a load of good stuff on ebay and the RRP kits are really good as well.

zippykona

I bought the Giant kit for my Anthem and it makes changing the bearings a doddle.

Is there a specific one for your bike?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Dunno about any of the decent ones but I bought a blind bearing puller off ebay and never found a shonkier pile of crap yet. Two of the pullers have shattered so far, the slide hammer is the only useful bit but even that dismantles itself as you go. From what I can see the sets on ebay range from cheap shit to overpriced shit although at 100 quid I’d imagine it should be better quality. Have you tried Machine Mart where you have bricks and mortar to throw it back at if it turns out to be rubbish?

dirkpitt74

Why not just buy the individual specific bearing tools you from Kinetic?

spooky_b329

Hi all

Thanks for the advice. Once I knuckled down and wrote down all the stuff I know I’ll need I realised that I don’t need that big of a selection, so the universal press kit was a bit overkill and also wouldn’t cater for hub bearings over an axle from what I could work out. I already have a Yeti specific one for my old classic full susser so thats a lot of the random sizes covered.

A bearingprotools.com bearing press with drifts for 2437 and 6805 bearings was £22. I added on a headset press with T-Bar handles (handles can also be swapped to the bearing press) for an extra £26.

Then I realised the Hope service kits are cheaper when bundled together, so to get all the tools for Pro 2 and Pro 4 hubs including the freehub seal tool was £30 and I can use these with the bearing press above.

I finished off with the 9 piece universal slide hammer removal set as it works on properly blind bearings whereas the bearingprotools ones, although they look better quality, need to be bashed from the blind side which sometimes isn’t possible, and when it is, always has the potential to hit the bike!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Kinetics Bearing Toolkit’ is closed to new replies.