Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Kinesis IX maxlight wheels – anybody used them?
  • nickdavies

Can’t find many reviews on the net so looking if anybody has these? Completing a FF29 build so would have been cool to keep it all Kinesis.

They look like the best things around for the money, for the same as hope hoops I get a quieter hub and a slightly wider wheel. Looking for a wheel light enough for racing and XC but not so light i spend every weekend truing them (I’m around 85kg before kit and don’t have much finesse…)

My only issue with them is the rear hub end caps, I can’t run a 10mm QR on them, only the usual 4mm crappy QR spindle.

It’s that or some Arch EX on hope’s, but I hate the freewheel noise, they’re a bit thinner internally & 100g heavier, just to have the extra stiffness of the 10mm rear end. Anything else obvious? has to be sub £400, no proprietary spoke systems and wide & strong for the weight. Quite fancy american classic but they are a smudge more money than i’d like to go to.

peasant
    Free Member

I am running a set on my horsethief and so far so good i weigh in about 105 kg and do the occasional jump/drop without any problems,only slight niggle was the rear axle coming loose but a drop of locktight cured that, also the spokes/nipples are available off the shelf unlike mavic/dt swiss ,i would recommend them

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

90kg here. Had them since Autumn last year.
    Stiffer than stans, wider, lighter. The front rim failed by folding in half at the join, but it was clear the sleeve was short on adhesive and it was warrantied without quibble. New one has been fine.

I like them. Well built, stiff enough and light enough.

I don’t really understand your concerns about q/r on the rear of a hardtail though.

nickdavies

Thanks for the feedback both, the concerns about the rear QR were that I noticed the difference in stiffness when I changed my superstar rims from standard QR spindles to the 10mm QR. Enough for me not to want to go back.

This was however on my old spesh FSR – whether or not i’d notice it as much on a stiff racy hard tail is another matter. At least with the hopes I can find out- it’s not an option on the Kinesis wheels which is a bit of a shame.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It’s easy to notice the stiffness of a rear axle when it helps to tie loads of moving levers together. It’s much less noticeable on a hardtail.

nickdavies

Given them a go, for £320 with tubeless bits it’s a chunk less than hope so we shall see how they get on!
    None in the country for a couple of weeks so time to get finding some other bits of build kit 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Kinesis IX maxlight wheels – anybody used them?’ is closed to new replies.