Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Kinesis GTD
  • mrb123
    Free Member

Looking at these framesets for a new winter road build. Any owners out there who can give some feedback?

The v1 and v2 framesets are both available at the moment. The v1 model can be had for about £200 less and the geometry would probably suit me slightly better (I.e. I’d be able to run it without spacers rather than 10-15mm of spacers on the v2 frame).

I’d be looking to fit some Kinesis Fend Off mudguards which I already have and run 28mm Conti 4 Season tyres which come up to about 30mm on the rims I have. Will that work on the v1 frame or do I need the extra clearance of the v2?

Any other feedback from any owners of these bikes? Is there any other good reason to go for the v2 frame? They seem to have made some tweaks to it but nothing too major as far as I can tell.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Its a bit too nice for a winter bike if you ask me. Have you looked at the RTD ? That would be my choice for a winter bike.

mrb123
    Free Member

Yes I’ve seen those.

TBH I’ve come to the conclusion that as my winter road bike gets ridden the most of any of my bikes, I’d like to have something that excites me in the same way that my summer bike does.

I have a carbon gravel type bike at present for winter duties but I don’t love the way it rides, plus I’ve always fancied a titanium bike. I’ve got a bit of cash available at present so hence I’m considering the GTD frameset and swapping over the bits from the other bike and then selling that frameset on.

trailwagger
    Free Member

I’d like to have something that excites me in the same way that my summer bike does.

Yep ive been there, and through the other side. I am now at the stage of im just going to ride my best summer bike all year round, why would you want to ride something sub standard half the time.

damascus
    Free Member

Just buy a really nice bike that takes proper mudguards and ride it all year round and clean the chain properly and maintain the bike.

Its a lot cheaper replacing a chain than it is buying a new bike.

But if you have spare cash then n+1 obviously makes far more sense. 😊

Doesn’t the v1 have quick release? I know the gran fondo v1 did.

mrb123
    Free Member

Both versions are 12mm thru axle so no issues there.

I have a nice carbon bike for summer use but it’s rim brake and won’t take mudguards so it will be going in to hibernation shortly for the winter.

robowns
    Free Member

Doesn’t help, but I almost bought one and then randomly went Mason Definition. Only one ride since I’ve built it up but it looks nice!

trailwagger
    Free Member

but it’s rim brake

This is a good point. Disc brakes for me was the thing that made it viable to ride my best summer bike year round.

mrb123
    Free Member

Yeah, problem is that I’d have to spend the best part of £10k to get a disc braked bike anywhere near the weight of my rim braked summer bike so I’ll be sticking with what I have in that department and looking to change the winter bike.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Kinesis GTD’ is closed to new replies.