Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Kinesis Decade Virsa
  • blackhat
    Free Member

Has anyone built up one of these? Without the flexibility of adjustable travel forks, what's the "right" length forks for the frame? The Bike Radar review is a bit wary of anything over 100mm, but the review in this month's STW mag has soemthing much longer (but admits it might benefit from a bit less).

parkesie
    Free Member

ive been running mine with 100mm feel it could do with a touch more so have some 120mm forks coming soon.

rickon
    Free Member

Building mine tomorrow 🙂 bit the bullet and bought a brand new frame, as the geometry is just right for me.

I'm sticking Revalations 100-130mm u-turn adjustable, so can let you know tomorrow night what length feels best….

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

i saw one of these at Cheddar bike fest – very very pretty frame in green

blackhat
    Free Member

Looking forward to a report Rickon. On the point of ordering a frame myself and hope to justify 120s without making the front too light when climbing the steep stuff.

daveagiles
    Free Member

Mines amazing 🙂 have 110 at the moment, thinking of going with 120 next time i service my forks

(ignor the bars/stem spacers that has changed!!)

Amazing bike, enjoy it1

rickon
    Free Member

As an update to my build…. frame didn't arrive, apparently is due in tomorrow…

I'll take photos as soon as it arrives, and as i'm building….

rickon
    Free Member

Right then… it's built 🙂

daveagiles
    Free Member

nice looking good! I hope you didnt have the same problem that i did puttig the drop outs on the wrong way round and wandering for ages why the wheel wouldnt fit!

you using the chain tug it came with? mine was made of cheese and fell apart when i used it.

Where abouts are you based?

rickon
    Free Member

Ha! awesome! I did the exact same two things! That's crazy.

I'm in Cardiff, gonna take her off piste around the Afan tomorrow 🙂

You using a bolt on axle or a QR?

daveagiles
    Free Member

using the bolt, makes so much more sense! just do up the drive side, then straiten out with the other side, seems to work ok so far, only problem i have found is getting the back wheel off with caliper still on…

PJay
    Free Member

A bit off-topic, but has anyone had any problems with the durability of the frame? I enquired about the Virsa on here a while back and someone mentioned the the walls of the seattube were extemely thin (27.2 seatpost and 28.6 clamp rather than the usual 29.8).

As a fairly heavy rider I'm a bike worried about this. I did check it out with UK Bike Store (after getting no response from Kinesis UK) and these are the correct measurement but they mentioned that the guys from DMR thrash around on these frames without problems, but even so I thought I'd ask.

rickon
    Free Member

No idea about durability so far, but feels awesome.

Run at 100, 110, 115, 120 and 130mm today…. all felt spot on, not at all wandery. Best at 120 i'd say, not too slack, 100mm feels awesome for racing.

Loving the bike.

proffarnsworth
    Free Member

i have a question also…

how does the rear disk mount work with the horizontal dropouts but no slotted disk mounts?

every other frame with horizontal dropouts has slotted disc mounts so surely it's an issue?

cheers.

blackhat
    Free Member

Thanks for the test pilot work Rickon. I've had a look at a frame now, and I think 120 gets my vote.

rickon
    Free Member

The different in wheel placement in the dropouts doesn't affect the caliper / disc lining up well. If you have any problems you could just stick a few washers on.

Went out yesterday, and running at 115 with decent compression felt best, I'd go with 120 too, just set a little more sag than usual.

Absolutley fantastic ride, just make sure the dropouts go on the *inside* of the frame.

rickon
    Free Member

New setup…..

southernsteel
    Free Member

Oh I want one.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Kinesis Decade Virsa’ is closed to new replies.