Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Kinesis 29er on the way – FF29
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

[Kinesis Fanboy] (BTW I am not employed in anyway by Kinesis but we do have 3 in the garage!)

Not a 29er owner but does look nice 🙂

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/ff29/

“Frame only. Frame with ‘IX’ carbon fork. Frame with XFusion suspension fork. Frame with fork of your choice + Reynolds XC29er wheels.”

[/Kinesis Fanboy]

foxyrider
    Free Member

I’m surprised no one had a comment – even like – god not another Kinesis post from you in so many weeks! 😉 LOL

thomthumb
    Free Member

that looks gopping imo. maybe a finished bike – without blue ano hi rise bars might help.

like the frame though…

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yeah I’m not keen on the fork setup and anno bars either but the frame (which was why I posted the frame pics 😉 ) I like 🙂

c_klein87

looks great,not sure about the carbon fork, but love the supershort headtube!

Rorschach
    Free Member

EYEBLEEEEAAAACH!!! 😉

benslow
    Free Member

Nice looking frame.

No price indications anywhere …

foxyrider
    Free Member

What the hell is that C_Klein? That Lefty Fork kinda looks out of place 😉

I wonder if it will be inline with the other Maxlights? so XCPro3 £450 and the XC130 £300?

c_klein87

its one of the Kinesis morvelo crew’s bikes, not sure why it has the carbon rear end but the rest is the same?

GregMay
    Free Member

Levfty… *shudder*

Quite like the green one though

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

That green one looks really nice!

Any news on release dates and price?

EDIT: from the link: First FF29?s are expected in the UK for Feb/March 2012

foxyrider
    Free Member

@C_Klein – yeah looked the same but they obviously proto’d the rear carbon wishbones found on the XCPro2/3 Maxlights – maybe thats also an option in teh future but prob not?

Yeah still in post-proto from what I hear – final versions not in yet i.e. all colours for photoshoots/website etc?

kelvin

LOVE IT!

I’m not normally a fan of swoopy downtubes, but everything sits together very nicely there.

mrblobby
    Free Member

that looks gopping imo. maybe a finished bike – without blue ano hi rise bars might help.

Quite like the look of that!

DomMason
    Free Member

Never throw a bike together from bits you have in the office : / And if you do, don’t post pics! Will I ever learn this lesson? Probably not.

Anyway…all things being well, the FF29 will be in the UK Feb/March 2012. Pricing will be under the £500 mark.

Carbon fork will be an option and looks much better without the White painted part! It’s light and performs very well if you like that sort of thing. If you don’t, geometry is set for a 100>120mm susp fork.

Carbon wishbone version is p.type for an ‘XC Race’ version. It will have different d.tube and geometry to this trail version and will be available late 2012 after we have tested various p.types.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ohhhhhhhhhh nice 🙂

Apart from the fork which is gopping!

DomMason
    Free Member

‘Gopping’ means good right?

Interesting word.

weeble
    Free Member

Does it/will it have swapouts for single speedy?

Clink

What no ss version?!? 😯

(does look ace though!)

DomMason
    Free Member

No swapable d.outs on first ones. I p.typed them [you can just see them here http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/project29/ ] But wasn’t happy with them yet, so we will continue to develop and will bring out swapable d.out version when they are right.

pedalhead
    Free Member

hmm one of those with ss compatibility could be tempting. Are you willing to divulge frame weight?

Clink

No swapable d.outs on first ones. I p.typed them [you can just see them here http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/project29/ ] But wasn’t happy with them yet, so we will continue to develop and will bring out swapable d.out version when they are right.

Sounds promising. Please keep is updated on singlespeed version. Nicest looking new 29er frame I’ve seen.

DomMason
    Free Member

Version with dropouts as shown is around 1650ish as far as I remember. Fixed DO version will be slightly lighter. ‘XCRace’ version will have lighter/re-profiled d.tube + carbon stay, hoping it will lose 2/300g.

DomMason
    Free Member

Thanks Clink, great to hear : ]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

‘Gopping’ means good right?

Nope, gopping bad 🙁

They look like a set of rigid maverick SUC’s and don’t fit the headtube properly?

Actualy doesnt look half as bad from the side, butt hey still dont look like the frame and fork were designed together like say a Swift or a Niner.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Version with dropouts as shown is around 1650ish as far as I remember. Fixed DO version will be slightly lighter. ‘XCRace’ version will have lighter/re-profiled d.tube + carbon stay, hoping it will lose 2/300g.

Thanks Dom, sounds like some decent weights there. If the XCRace version can nudge 3lbs that’ll be very impressive.

DomMason
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon Fork crown and HT dia are exactly the same, maybe not so clear in the pic. Wait until you see the finished fork with a frame before you make up your mind. Although I think you already have ; ]

DomMason
    Free Member

A 3lb nudger should be possible, Fraze has built his p.type racer up at 21.6lbs. Scroll down here http://kinesismorvelo-frazer-clifford.posterous.com/

pedalhead
    Free Member

Are you keeping with (to my mind) “sensible” eff TT lengths as per your 26ers? It seems to me that many 29ers seem to have extended top tubes. I don’t know if that’s to avoid toe overlap or something.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Oh my, Dom is ere’ – I take back everything negative I said above [cowls into a corner] 😉

DomMason
    Free Member

Front and rear centres and VTT need to be longer to take larger wheel size into account, but I’ve worked at keeping clearances sensible and ride feel right.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll be interested to see the numbers when they’re available.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon Fork crown and HT dia are exactly the same, maybe not so clear in the pic.

Indeed they are, its the white/black thats not helping in the photos. Makes it look like thers a huge step between the headtube and the crown.

Wait until you see the finished fork with a frame before you make up your mind. Although I think you already have ; ]

Yep, I’ll definately considder one, I like the frame, just reserving judgement on the fork for the time being.

DomMason
    Free Member

We have some tests lined up for web and print, so watch your fave media in the New Year.

Thanks for all the feedback, always interested to hear thoughts direct from the coal face.

rOcKeTdOg

Real world tests you want Dom? I’ll give it a bash, email in profile

Clink

Thanks for all the feedback, always interested to hear thoughts direct from the coal face.

I’ll test a ss frame for you…

tripleridingstyles
    Free Member

Any idea what price the frame and carbon fork will be? Still sub £500? 😉

Sam

Looks good Dom. HT looks very short – sure it will work with older RS tapered steerer suspension forks (72mm taper) – meaning HT needs to be greater than ~100mm (depending on whether zerostack or integrated)? Fox are 63mm so give you a bit more room to play, and I think the new RS forks are shorter taper as well. Anyhow – sure you’ve thought about all of this! 🙂

DomMason
    Free Member

Any idea what price the frame and carbon fork will be? Still sub £500?

Yes, still aiming for a sub £500 retail. Tough because of all the expensive tubes! But doable I think.

DomMason
    Free Member

Looks good Dom. HT looks very short – sure it will work with older RS tapered steerer suspension forks (72mm taper) – meaning HT needs to be greater than ~100mm (depending on whether zerostack or integrated)?

Thanks : ] This is one of the original med. p.type’s which had 90mm HT’s. This is what I think is ideal geometry wise, but for production I have increased HT’s to: sml-95. med-110. lrg-125. 1. To increase weld area, as this frame is supposed to be ridden hard. 2. To accommodate longer tapers, although most of the new crop seem to have around 80mm taper, because fork makers have realised we want to get the HT’s short for proper performance.
    Thanks for your feedback, appreciated.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Kinesis 29er on the way – FF29’ is closed to new replies.