killing a tree discretely

Home Forum Bike Forum killing a tree discretely

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • killing a tree discretely
  • hora
    teenrat

How do you apply salt? By watering it with salty water?

BearBack

Cut it down and tell her it must have gone back into hiding.

hora

Do it when its rainy? Pile it around the base. Rain will hide your work?

Use lots.

cardiac

dump salt at bottom of trunk. Pour cheap bleach. Remove large amount of bark. Nail rusty nail. Accidentally saw into the main trunk. Remove leaves.

Premier Icon itstig
    Subscriber

Copper nails won’t work. If its not on your property there is nothing you can legally do. Most likely you’ll get done for criminal damage.

Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

Tell her it’s got ash die back virus and needs to be dropped immediately. You could do it for free or you know a tree surgeon who could do it for just £500

Junkyard

you want advice on a forum about how you can commit criminal damage to something that is not yours and not on your property 😯

Get an actual report as i suspect the fears are in your head and not in reality or be a criminal is my advice

Offroading

Dig in your garden to find one of the roots for the tree. A big one.

Drill into it and put a funel/straw etc into the root.

Source and old car battery or just buy acid. Apply acid down the tube every few days.

Has done a very nice job of killing my neighbours ash tree 😉

nealglover

Copper nails?

Good plan.

Make sure you get enough copper nails to melt down and form into a copper axe though.

That’s the only way it will work.

hora

Re criminal damage. If it had potential to affect your property and the neighbour wouldnt co-operate what would you do?

Junkyard

Potential – i think you need to prove actual
    I would not break the law and commit criminal damage even if you would.

federalski

Go to the pub and come back and have a good old square go with the tree.
    Punch it, kick it and bear hold it and try take it down.
    Good luck.

rob2

I have this problem with two conifers. Massive trees now. Root/acid it is 🙂

Premier Icon rickmeister
    Subscriber

On our own tree and own Ivy, the hole in the root filled with weedkiller worked a treat, quickly and permanently…

crikey

Do you know anyone with a beaver?

IanMunro

It’s an ash. It’s days are numbered even if you do nothing.

teenrat

Ok, I,’ll explain the situation as to why I am worried. My garden is very steep and is terraced. Her garden is not terraced and it has a 15 foot vertical wall dividing the bottom of her garfden and the top. The corner of my extension butts onto the corner of the 15 foot wall. The tree is at the top of her wall and 5 ft from the roof of my extension. Firstly, all the retaining walls could collapse, the roots can get into my roofspace. How I see it is that I have given permission to enter her garden and manage the tree, so I am not trespassing. The tree was also not intentionally planted.

The next door house is also a council house, mine is not a council house. I have thought about phoning the council but she will guess I told them and I don’t want to ruin neighbour relations.

teenrat

My next door neighbour has a self seeded ash tree in her garden which is getting too big. I spoke to her and said I was worried about it damaging my extension and her reply was “isn’t it beautiful, it’s never been there before it must have been hiding under the ground” ?!?. Anyway, It was agreed that I would manage the tree through pruning to stop it getting too big. However, it is now 10 foot tall and I am fed up with it. How can I kill it without her finding out? Copper nails?

hora

I know someone with a Beaver.

matt22

Diesel around the base

TooTall

http://www.letlink.co.uk/articles/gardens/root-cause-how-trees-can-cause-disputes-and-damage-to-property.html

Re criminal damage. If it had potential to affect your property and the neighbour wouldnt co-operate what would you do?

Deal with it legally and properly like a responsible adult?

munrobiker

Bleach. This was on the BBC earlier this week (on new tricks I believe). The guy that did it went to prison. But that was for a murder he didn’t commit.

Don’t commit any murders (or find yourself in a situation where you could be accused of committing one) and you’ll get away with ti.

teenrat

Thanks for that link Too Tall. I think I will speak to the council, as in tootalls link, the tree is 10ft tall and only 5ft from my roof so I feel there is definate reason for concern and action. I went round to manage the tree earlier and there must be over a hundred ash saplings in the garden and I’m certainly not managing all of them.

Premier Icon beaker
    Subscriber

This should do it.

mt

Hora, are you sure?

Salt Peter in very effective when put into a large root.

castanea

Anyway, It was agreed that I would manage the tree through pruning to stop it getting too big. However, it is now 10 foot tall and I am fed up with it.

Why not just top it? If it’s just more than ten foot then not a hard job, could also give it a heavy crown thinning. Not going to take you long and won’t need anything done for another few years.

Or…just ring bark it and it will die. 😐

bikesian65

I would be very careful if I were you. If the tree is owned by the council you should contact them and ask them to survey the tree and ask for it to be removed if it is in fact a nuisance ( debatable). Ask to have an onsite meeting with their tree officer (Arborist)

The council will be considered as a responsible tree owner and are obliged to ensure that their trees are not a danger or nuisance to others

If you take action your self you could be liable for a fine that is up to 10x the amenity value of the tree ( this can be quite considerable in the order of £10K!) if the tree can be seen by other people in the locality

I used to be a tree surgeon so hence the above.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘killing a tree discretely’ is closed to new replies.