Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Kielder100 cancelled
  • scotroutes

Trimix – Member – Quote
    Dosent the advance in technology like GPS spot trackers make this sort of race redundant ? Look at the excellent 400+mile race round the Highlands last weekend, it was devoid of marshall etc and basically free to do.

Couldnt others do something like that for these long distance events. Afterall they are hardly for novices, so the participants would not mind being a bit more self supported ?
    That would appear to be the obvious solution. Is there somewhere that would rent out 200 or so SPOT trackers?

PaulMcG

I’m about to take delivery of 170 of them (the GL200 units), mainly for use on my own stuff. Would be happy to look at external rental though.

Currently developing + testing the website to go along with it. The possibilities are pretty exciting.

andrewh
    Free Member

Any runners on here? You know how a Bob Graham Round works, Keiler come become like that for bikes.
    Might be able to get that sub-10hr if I can wait for a sunny day!

Harry_the_Spider

“Perhaps there needs to be an incentive to enter events early? 20/30% off type of thing if you enter before X date?”

Or, how about enter the event early or it will fold?

Most of the people who stage events do it for no money and get a load of stress. Why not have a bit of faith and show some support? – Not specifically aimed at you BTW Michael, just a general comment.

Without a cash backer events need pre sales to cover projected costs. If pre sales are low then the event gets pulled.

postierich
    Free Member

Gutted I,m one of the not entered yet people £50 was a great vfm for what you got!
    Been meaning to do this for a couple of years so I guess this is going to be my big biking gig of the year
    http://www.selfsupporteduk.net/routes/Lakeland200.html
    Anyone else fancy it starting and finishing in Staveley!

Rich

Blackhound

Rides like the Highland Trail Race or Cairngorm Loop are free to enter (cost a bit to get there from England though) but there is no course marking, no insurance, no bag drops, no feed stations or anyone to meet you at the end with a t-shirt.

Also limited numbers as on public rights of way. Was thinking of entering but may go and tour round said Cairngorm loop instead.

marvincooper

Anyone know if the course could be ridden on any day or if permission from landowners would be required? If it’s possible I’d be up for riding it on the day with a group of folk just following a gpx route.

gee
    Free Member

Right…. For those of you in the south, how does 100miles round the Surrey hills sound on the same weekend?

I’ve got a GPS route I can amend a little so you won’t all turn up at my house.

GB

marvincooper

I’m in the south but still want to go up to Keilder! But if it doesn’t come off I’ll be round yours 🙂

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Right…. For those of you in the south, how does 100miles round the Surrey hills sound on the same weekend?

I’ve got a GPS route I can amend a little so you won’t all turn up at my house.

GB

I think you should modify one of your Surrey Hills Epic rides and set it as a Strava segment so we can see just how slow we are compared to you!

epicyclo

The StrathPuffer Lite (12 hour) could do with a few more entries…

fasthaggis

The StrathPuffer Lite (12 hour) could do with a few more entries being in the Summer…

😉 😀

grtdkad

As Andrew mentions above,

Have SIP themselves got problems?

Sara and Paul put on first class events, great locations, well organised etc but perhaps not enough income for all of their efforts at the end of the day?

gee
    Free Member

OK – I’ll get on it…

GB

epicyclo

fasthaggis – Member
    The StrathPuffer Lite (12 hour) could do with a few more entries being in the Summer…

The 12 hour is on Sat 13 July, and this time it will be run during the day rather than night.

A nice little race you don’t have to take too seriously.

gee
    Free Member

Right…

Here you go. http://connect.garmin.com/course/3793635

Modified so it starts and ends at Lightwater Country Park.

The last bit is a bit rough – basically it’s the climb from the canal through Porridge Pot along the fenceline then out onto the ridge fire road at the top, down the hill and back into Lightwater.

Be good to get a few people riding it on the same day as Kielder was going to be.

GB

haggis1978

Had entered the tour de Ben Nevis as well anyway but still gutted. Was my big goal of the summer.

pjm84
    Free Member

Down South and might be up for that one Gee.

Doing a 2up at the Pufferlite and looking forward to this one in July. Also SDW in July

Looked at the Kielder but thought it too pricy. I’ve ridden across there solo, unsupported, and always found it bleak, particularly in November, and the logging lorries very scary in the dark.

ac282

Gee, That is a great idea.

Will you be importing midges to make it feel authentic?

flange
    Free Member

Gee – downloaded the map to the Garmin, nice one.

Not sure I have the minerals for it but I’ll give it a try anyway!

Yak

Gee – nice one. Me and Mrs Yak will be up for this.

gee
    Free Member

Leave 8am from the car park at the Country Park.

See some of you there!

You can cut back fairly easily.

GB

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I could be up for that George 🙂

Are you going to set up a FB group or something to get an idea of who’s going to take part?

njee20
    Free Member

Ha! You’ve started something now GB! Sounds like a more pleasant way to ride 100 miles.

marvincooper

Count me in!

gee
    Free Member

If someone can be bothered to set up a group go ahead!

GB

offthebrakes
    Free Member

If someone can be bothered to set up a group go ahead!

On reflection, as it could be construed as racing on bridleways, perhaps best not to.

Keen to take part though…

gee
    Free Member

Not a race though as no timing. Just a ride. Facebook us up!

I should probably add that it is quite a challenging loop on some very steep and technical trails. No big jumps or anything but not for novices!

GB

offthebrakes
    Free Member

OK, will give FB a stab tomorrow night.

Despite not being a novice, I’ll be rubbish on the steep technical trails anyway (assuming they are downhill!)

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Anyone doing the Manx 100 at the end of July?

YES. I’m entered (amongst only a handful I understand as they are trying and get it off the ground), done kielder a couple of times but that’s probably enough. I like to support local races as much as possible particularly when organised by locals but think things like the manx100 just offers something a bit different i.e. more of a technical challenge and is a bit less of a corporate machine that some events have (in some cases necessarily) turned in to.

Details here: https://www.manxtreme.com/event/manx-100 get involved…

br
    Free Member

Anyone know if the course could be ridden on any day or if permission from landowners would be required?

You can just ride it, this is Scotland, never heard of ‘Right to Roam’?

ac282

Most of the course is in England but it is free to ride.

Drac

Yeah as pointed out Kielder is in England as is most of the course in previous years.

andrewh
    Free Member

There is another 100 mile in the British Isles, a point to point on the Isle of Man. Much tougher than the end-to-end, and not just because it’s about three times as long.
    The Manx 100 is 100.90 miles, so about 3 miles shorter than Kielder, but it does feature about 3,000ft more climbing at 15,335ft in total. Despite taking me an hour and half longer than Kielder it somehow felt faster.
    It will be back in 2014 for it’s third running.
    If anyone is interested there is a write-up of it here http://www.andrewhowett.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/the-manx-100-and-bit.html

nonk
    Free Member

Nice read that Andrew cheers
    Big day out though eh !

andrewh
    Free Member

Cheers Nonk.
    Yes, it was a big day, but oddly didn’t feel as long as Keilder, even though it was longer, in terms of time anyway. I think the fact that it was sunny and pretty much midge-free just made the time pass so quickly.
    Would be good if we could get a few more Brits to go over next year, maybe share ferry costs and suchlike, it’s worth the journey.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Kielder100 cancelled’ is closed to new replies.